Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Resident ghost caracal
Default Rainy's Written Bits   #1  
Hello and and welcome to my thread. x3

Most things you can read about my in my Quest thread, so I won't go over rewriting them, but will just talk about things connected to writing, more or less.
I am 16 years old, turning 17 this December. I have written this and that since I was about 7 or 8, but there have been periods in my life when I haven't written anything, due to some circumstances.
I used to mostly write poems, or how I prefer to call them - the thoughts that came out different than prose - since I don't think I write "real" poetry.
My Native Language is not English - it is Latvian, since I am from Latvia. I first started really using English when I was 13 and around the same time I started to Role Play on different sites. It has been a very important experience for me, the time I started to write again and slowly learn more of my own writing style and grasp how to not tangle up in my words and get my idea across more easily.
I now have kind of stopped Role Playing, but I have turned to writing stories. I used to write them, mostly short fan fictions, and some unfinished stories that still loiter around my head, before that, too, but now I have turned to it more seriously. The story I have been working on for about 4 months I really care for. Somewhere below I will post the beginning of it.

The plus I see in my self as writer is that I am imaginative. I can usually easily create story and character ideas from very little information. The fact English is Foreign Language to me leaves bad impression on my vocabulary and spelling, though (thankfully, the first can be helped with thesaurus). I plan to work on my writing skills, learn to actually devote my time to a bigger project, and also learn more of English.

So, I hope you can at least semi-enjoy my blabberings. XD Some of them are kind of old and poetry is self-translated (I have only few poems written originally in English), so I am unsure of how many mistakes it has.
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Old Posted 09-11-2010, 08:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
(Post for my Fan Fiction works? x3)

This is the beginning of fan fiction for a movie called "Labyrinth" I wrote... A little over a year ago. I am still determined to finish it. C: Honestly, I am not big fan of the movie, but I love the world it can create. It was also supposed to be my first attempt at humor in finished version.

---

Even before Sarah opened her eyes, she knew it would be one of those dreams. That is, if they could be called dreams. Even if her mind she refused to completely accept it, they were more of some sort of visit to the Underground. Every time different, every time unique and exciting, giving her inspiration. And that was exactly what she needed right now.

But this was certainly much more than she had ever expected. Her senses were assaulted by all possible and impossible smells, noises and colors. Sarah was already used to goblin's high pitched voices and chicken clucking, but now it was accompanied by some kind of... rattling and clanging. She was nearly sure she could hear neighing and barking in the distance as well. The air smelled like spice and burnt meat and when she looked around, she noticed a stall where a small goblin of unknown gender was cooking meat of a mysterious origin. Noticing her gaze, the goblin grinned, revealing uneven teeth and waved at her. "Come 'ere, come 'ere, big lady, the bestest rats meat 'ere! Both cook'd and boil'd! Cheap!" When she couldn't find the right words to decline, it winked, "Free sample just fer yer, missy!"

"Uhm... no, thank you," Sarah shook head and stepped back, accidentally tripping backward over some small, furry creature. "Watch where yer goin', big two leg!" it growled at her and in the brown fur, she could make out only mouth full of sharp teeth. "Sorry!" she muttered and quickly moved away, now more careful to not bump into anything or anyone. It was rather difficult to do, though, as the place, she guessed some kind of market, was full with goblins of all sizes and other creatures, some that she recognized and some that she did not.

Sarah had no idea where she actually was, and that was unusual. Most of the time, she 'woke up' in some familiar place near her friends. Then they were the ones who took her on new adventures in unknown places. While part of her was excited about that, another part felt uneasy but, certainly, this was nothing to get seriously worried about. The goblin market couldn't be more dangerous than their King whom she had already defeated five years ago.

From the corner of her eye she caught a strange sight - something that vaguely reminded her of a merry-go-round, only instead of beautiful plastic horses, the animals here were real, raging from big dogs to small horses. Some of them looked quite well kept, others not so much. The horses looked the most unfortunate, as goblins seemed to like to dance on their backs and sing drunkenly, before falling off and rolling away. Shuddering slightly, Sarah moved away, only to be stopped by a slight tugging on her skirt.

Looking down, she saw a goblin woman. Her dress and shawl were in all colors of the rainbow and with the golden, jingling earrings and bracelets she resembled a gypsy... a very small and greenish-brown-skinned gypsy. "Does missy wants hers future read? Cost's one of thos' shiny butt'ns of yers," the goblin spoke, pointing at the golden button that decorated the front of her blue silk dress. Sarah was already used to that
whenever she came to Underground, she always wore some kind of dress, very different from anything another girl would have in her closet.

Sarah wasn't interested in having her future read, as she did not believe in such things, but she saw this as an opportunity to find out exactly where she was. "I will give you..." she counted quickly that she had ten 'shiny buttn's' and decided to keep some for other exchanges, just in case, "five buttons if you tell me where I am and how I can get out of here."

The goblin looked at her suspiciously for a second and then beamed. "Liddie likes generous missy so Liddie helps missy. Come alon', come alon'. It's too noisy 'ere," she said and Sarah reluctantly followed the goblin who was still holding her skirt, tugging her slightly impatiently every time she slowed down.

When Liddie had found a spot between two stalls; which sold some suspicious looking drinks and food, that seemed to please her, even if Sarah couldn't understand how it was more quiet, Liddie let go of the skirt and nodded a few times before speaking. "Missy Sarah is at Gobl'n Amus'm'nt Park," and before Sarah could ask how she suddenly knew her name, she pointed at a large sign which read "Goblin Amusement Park" in big, oblique letters. She could barely believe she had not noticed it earlier. But maybe it wasn't there before?

Shaking the thought off, she turned back to Liddie. "How do you know my name?" she questioned, frowning.

"Ev'ryone knows Missy's name 'ere but it's not goo' to say it much and alo'd, w'ere oth'rs can 'ear," the goblin shrugged, as if it was obvious, and then continued, "Missy Sarah lucky to 'et to see the Park. We has it only onc' ev'ry few years."

Sarah thought that she would feel much better never visiting it but kept it to herself. As the goblin seemed to be lost in thoughts, she wanted to repeat her question about getting out of here when Liddie continued, as if reading her mind. "Oh ye, no one leav's the place until fair is over. So yer stuck 'ere fer a whil'." Even if she had predicted such answer, Sarah felt annoyed as she started pulling the buttons off. She nearly felt sad for ruining such a nice dress, but a deal was a deal.

A few minutes later she knelt down and handed five buttons to Liddie. The goblin woman grasped her hand tightly and picked the buttons out of her hand, hiding them in some pocket in her colorful skirt. But even after that, she did not let Sarah's hand go, gazing at it with an expression that Sarah guessed to be a frown. "Good day, good day fer Missy Sarah. Yer might win your happ'ness... or yer sorrow. But Liddie think it's happ'ness," Liddie finally announced with a big grin. Sarah groaned inwardly as she withdrew her hand - having her future read by a goblin seemed nearly like a bad sign in itself.

"Oh ye, one butt'n fer help, one fer futur', last fer item so al' is fair and paid," Liddie said a moment later, pulling out a wrinkled post card. Sarah stared at it for a moment clueless but then understood it was the item the goblin was talking about and took it, not wanting to insult the somewhat-helpful woman. She wasn't sure about the counting system of goblins because if this was 'fair' than how about the two other buttons, unless this was worth three?

"Uh, thank you," Sarah said but Liddie had already disappeared in the crowd.

Still feeling as confused as ever, she looked at the postcard. The green hills and lake with dark castle ruins in one coast made her think of a Loch Ness picture she had seen in some book. Sarah shook her head slightly and then stepped back in the crowd again.

This time she didn't try to go on by her self and instead just followed the stream of creatures, wondering where it would carry her. She passed a stall where goblins threw frogs (alive, as far as she could tell) at another goblin's face, who was trapped and those who hit the nose got the prize – a cracked mirror or some other junk. There was also a stall where you could try to test your strength, hitting a goblin with a rubber hammer. The louder he squealed, the better prize you got. But after a while (she had lost sense of time by now) of seeing these and other interesting attractions, Sarah felt tired and didn't want to do anything but sit down and draw a breath.

Finally, she managed to slip out of the moving line to a less crowded place. She leaned against a wall and closed her eyes. Certainly there had to be some way to get out of this crazy place. Just because some goblin said she was stuck here didn't mean she was going to give up. And just as Sarah decided this, she felt her skirt being tugged for the second time in the day.

This time it was a small, rather weak goblin, probably a goblin child. That is, if they had any. "Does Missy wants lott'ry ticket?" he asked, big, strangely human-like eyes gazing up at her with hope. "Not really, sorry," Sarah shook her head. The goblin's expression fell and she could bet his lip trembled a bit. "Papa very angry 'cos Dag won't sell tickets. Papa don't feed id-i-ots." The last word was separated in syllables, probably just like papa said it.

Sarah felt sorry for the small goblin, especially because of the feeling he could be one of those unfortunate children who got turned into goblins didn't leave her and she bit her lip slightly in thought. "I don't have any money, only these buttons," she explained, hoping that one or two would be worth a ticket. "Dag don't know if thos' can be sold so Dag not take shiny things..." the goblin's voice trailed off as his looked at the post card in her hand. Before Sarah could stop him, Dag grabbed it and grinned. "Pretty pretty pictur'! Papa pleased, Dag sure abou' that!"

Dag ran to a hut that looked to be made of different sized planks and about to collapse at any moment, and slipped into it, everything but two skinny legs disappearing from sight. Sounds of grunting and throwing stuff around could be heard but he quickly returned, the postcard gone and replaced by something that somewhat resembled a lottery ticket. "Here ya go, Missy! Dag wishes yer luck!"

Sarah looked at the ticket doubtfully but as the goblin boy was urging her to find out what she had won, she started to scratch. One chicken, two chicken, three chicken, then another and another. All images were of small chickens. With a confused look, she handed it back to Dag.

For a moment, he was silent and then let out a sound that Sarah took as a happy squeal. "Jackpot!" Dag exclaimed, jumping and clapping hands, overly excited. The worse thing was that all goblins nearby joined in his excitement. "What did I win, Dag?" she asked when he quieted down a bit.

"Somethin' great, somethin' great!" Dag clapped a few times, emphasizing his words. Sarah frowned, hoping that it wasn't a chicken and then the goblin, seeing her confusion, waved somewhere on the right of him. Her eyes automatically followed the indicated direction and she gasped, staring at the picture on the poster.

"The King! Missy won the King!" Dag, now unnecessarily, explained. Sarah looked back at him, her thoughts chaotic. Out of all things, out of all people, why did she have to win that arrogant jerk? How was that even possible? "No way. This... this isn't fair!"

Just as she exclaimed this, the changes began. The clattering of 'rides' and happy squeals of goblins started transforming into other noises - muted sounds of cars and voices on the street. The grinning goblin and 'ticket booth' were replaced by plain, white ceiling and Sarah realized she was awake.

Blinking a few times, Sarah tried to process what she had just seen. As it wasn't an easy thing to do, she closed her eyes, rubbing her forehead lightly. It seemed that today a headache would be her faithful companion. "God, that must have been the weirdest dream ever," she concluded out loud, sighing.

"Really?"

For a moment, she ignored the voice as if it was just another figment of her imagination, but only for few seconds. Then she sat up straight, gaping at the man she had apparently just won in the lottery, sitting on the corner of her desk casually, that smirk which had haunted her dreams for so long firmly plastered on his face.

|~ Status:

Last edited by Sadrain; 09-11-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old Posted 09-11-2010, 08:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #3  
Some of the poems I have written and translated. (So, this is post for poetry? XD)

xxx

Tonight, trough cloud labyrinth,
I will go out directly on the Milky Way
bare footed and unprotected,
because the mask forged for years,
will be a goblet
in which I will carry
live coal from the fire
that will burn forever
from hewed lilac longing to bloom.
Tonight you will easily
find and recognize me
because no one, indeed nobody,
will stand on the Milky Way's ice
barefooted and unprotected
with a blazing mask
as your road sign.

xxx

The mind is broken
and the cage is hare
in loneliness.
Without sense or knowledge
he sits, he whispers and he prays
to holy speechless, maybe empty heavens.
He misses his cage.
The beast without a name
so alien to himself,
so simply worthless,
so worshiping his pains,
his mound, his frames,
so mad and so in love
with madness.

|~ Status:

Old Posted 09-11-2010, 08:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
And here comes my story. <3
---

1st Chapter

I will always remember the first time I saw the Girl With a Cats Mask.
It was the first night of the Carnival, the air hot and humid, seemingly dripping with people excitement about the week long fun to come. I was walking down the street, hands pushed deep into my pockets, gaze wandering and sometimes stopping at the mechanical lanterns that moved on the building walls, trying to find the best spot to shine the brightest, but other times at a random person. A group of laughing teenagers passed me by, their magical sparklers sending off sparks of every possible and impossible color every which way.
I didn't share their joy. Instead, my mood was rather morose. I couldn't even explain why. Everything I saw simply left me unimpressed. Maybe because I had seen it many times before and nothing ever changed. Year after year it was the same crowd of masked, laughing people, magical and mechanical attractions, lot of food and noisy music.
I didn't want any more of it.
As if on cue, all the lanterns blinked out, leaving people on the street in darkness. I looked at the sky, already knowing what was to follow and, indeed, few moments later sky exploded in many colors and images - the famous fireworks people came to see from far and near, had started.
Gasps, cheers and claps mixed with booms and music resounded all around me, but I turned my eyes away from the fireworks that flashed with nearly daylight brightness every few seconds. And then I saw her.
She was sitting on a low brick wall that ran around one of the private houses, her face turned up to the sky, so I could clearly see the half mask of a cat that fit her face tightly going up to her hair line. I also managed to notice that her hair fell in heavy, dark waves over her shoulders before it went dark again. When fireworks lit up the street once more, the girl was staring at me with startlingly green eyes, I could distinguish the color even in the unusual illumination, and I suddenly felt uneasy, as if I had deeply disturbed her with my tight gaze.
Then the street went black, for a longer time now, because the fireworks had ended and the lanterns hadn't received command to lit up yet. When they finally did, I looked at the spot where the girl had sat, but she was gone.
I looked around, hoping that she couldn't have gotten far in the darkness trough the crowd, but there was no sign of the strange girl. I couldn't even put my finger on the thing that made her strange, because there were plenty of people that wore masks of animals, but she just gave off that feeling.
For about hour more, I rove trough the city, not really looking for the girl, but kind of hoping I would catch a glimpse of her again. Then I returned to my apartment, my mood still somewhat sullen, but there was a new, unexplainable spark of thrill somewhere inside, something I hadn't felt for a long time.

Next two days I spent more time in the crowd than I had in the last four Festivals taken together. I, like everyone, had the Carnival week free from my job, so I had unlimited time to roam the streets. I couldn't explain why I walked out in the streets nearly as soon as I woke up, I just needed to be out there and keep looking. I wasn't really searching for the Girl with a Cats Mask, it was something more vague... I named it "Fun" because I had suddenly realized I didn't know how to have it anymore.
That evening, I stopped at one of the movable stages on which people who wanted to show off their talents could perform. The Nightingale Mask's singing didn't really interest me - I thought it resembled strangled chicks cheeping more than anything - and nor did did the Phoenix Masks dancing. The round belly rolling over the low cut pants didn't seem appealing to me, but like others I clapped, even if less excitedly. I was about to walk away when The Girl with a Cats Mask climbed on the stage. I stayed, out of curiosity what she would do. She wasn't dressed for dancing - her clothes consisted of very dark green, loose jumpsuit that left her arms bare, black boots with open toe cap and strange, ancient looking bronze belt with what I took to be dagger sheath attached to it - I had seen something like that only in museum. Now I also saw that above the black hair, two cat ears were perked up and a black cat tail swished behind her.
The girl went to the microphone and I expected her to start "mewing", but instead she started to read a poem:

"Thorny grass grows trough me
and will scrape the sky tomorrow already.
At first, offended pride hurts,
because more than anything I wanted to be a tree,
in whose hollow owls lives,
but, look, I am a grass now,
which blossoms so rarely and unpredictably,
that those who think them self to be smart
and rightful to look at everything trough
theater binoculars
announced their sentence of no appeal:
"Dying species,
doesn't give back flowers or fruits."
Meanwhile, the grass that was me yesterday
digs prickles in the skies
and having drunk the last summer clouds,
blossoms wildly in purple
like love which is just
one blooming apart from hate."

I didn't notice in which moment, the crowd stopped murmuring and laughing around the stage, but when she finished, there was unusual silence for few seconds. And then people started clapping. Not all, maybe not even half, but we - because I was one of them - did it as loud as possible. Not to compensate for the quiet ones, but because we wanted to show all of our appreciation.
The girl nodded her head and slipped off the stage, though some called her to read more. I tried to get closer to her, but couldn't get trough the crowd. When I finally got the spot she should be at, it seemed like she had disappeared in thin air, escaping from all the wanted or maybe unwanted attention.

Next time I saw the Girl with a Cats Mask was few days later. I was wandering around the street with cart shops lined on both sides, trying to find something that would catch my interest. Finally, I stopped at a stall that sold all sort of crafts, beginning with smaller paintings and clay figurines to jewelry from beads, different kinds of fruits and seeds. The woman, maybe in her fifties, gave me a kind smile as I inspected these things. It looked like every each of them was crafted with thought and love and I liked them more than things I had seen other places. Still, it was nothing I could buy and put somewhere in my apartment and so I stepped aside, letting other people come closer, as I didn't want to give her false hope that I would buy anything.
I turned around and examined the crowd. Noticed a little boy who was standing at the next stall that sold so called "healing jewelry". I had never really believed in these necklaces, bracelets and earrings that cost comparatively much, just because they were made from seeds and stones that were said to heal. It seemed that the boy thought differently because he was counting some coins, forehead wrinkled in thoughts. Suddenly, some man tripped over his own foot, probably having had one beer too much, and bumped into the boy.
"Watch where you're standing, kid!" he yelled and staggered away, not noticing that the boy was trying to quickly pick up the coins that had fallen out of his hand, before people kicked them away.
I averted my gaze from him only for few seconds, but when I looked back, the Girl with a Cats Mask had appeared out from seemingly no where and was kneeling next to the boy, helping him to gather the money. Urged by sudden curiosity, I moved closer. Hopefully, not enough close to be noticed, but enough to hear what they spoke.
"I can't find a whole ducat!" The boys tone was desperate.
"What are you saving up for?" she asked.
"A necklace from water-nuts. My mommy is very sick and it could help her, but we cant afford that. I am saving up for a long time, but she is getting worse and worse quickly. I don't think I can gather enough in time - I have only half. People don't pay a lot for the jobs I can do and now I lost a whole ducat," the boy sounded truly upset and I felt sorry for him.
The girl kept quiet for a moment, tapping fingers against her knee and then gave the boy a bright smile.
"Tell you what, I will be your bank and lend you the needed sum, alright? You can give it back to me over a longer time and in parts."
Boy looked at her with wide eyes.
"You really would do that, miss?"
She nodded, still smiling and then stood up. "Now, tell me how much you still need."
Some minutes later, he had bought the necklace and ran back to her, beaming.
"Thank you, thank you, thank you so very much, miss!" He hugged the girl tightly and she hugged him back.
"Now go home and gift the necklace to your mom. I am sure she will be very happy and I hope it will help her. Tell her to warm it in her hands as often as possible, thinking about something good, like how wonderful her son is and that she wants to stay with him for a long time," girl said, releasing the boy. He nodded, thanked again and disappeared in the crowd. I wanted to go to her and tell that I am glad she can help others so easily, even if I dint see much point in this case, but the Girl with a Cats Mask disappeared as quickly as she had appeared.

The last day of Carnival, just like the first, was more loud and bright than the rest. Stages with musicians and dancers slowly circled trough the city and many followed them. Everyone had changed their masks, or at least outfits, to something more impressive and noticeable. I didn't see point in that and had kept my simple, black mask I had chosen for this year. There was nothing and no one I wanted to portray, nothing that I thought could fit me. Besides, most tried to attract attention of the opposite gender with bright masks, but I wasn't looking for relationships.
I was looking for someone, though. I didn't really want to admit it, but lately, I always tried to find the Girl with a Cats Mask in the crowd. In some way, she has become a symbol of the "uniqueness" and "fun" I was looking for and had not found otherwise this Festival.
I wondered if I could even recognize her today. Maybe she had changed her mask, too, and now was walking in the streets as, for example, a peacock. I couldn't really imagine her as one, though. Nor I could imagine her walking among regular people as one of them. I had feeling she would stick out regardless of the fact she was wearing a mask or not. What created this feeling I still could not explain, but the three times I had seen each made it stronger in a way.
I had been walking aimlessly for hours, sometimes following the stream of people, sometimes walking inside a park and sitting down and was about to finally return home, tired of all the bustle and nearly glad that tomorrow life will return to normal frames, despite the hangover having colleagues, when I caught glimpse of her. The girl had not changed her mask, only the jumpsuit was replaced by a moss green dress. Even the belt had stayed the same. In sudden determination to speak with her, I started to break trough the crowd.
It was hard to keep up with her. Few times the Girl with a Cats Mask seemed to disappear out of sudden, because she her direction unexpectedly and perfectly used people as cover. Maybe if I had time to think, I would have come to conclusion that she knew I was following and that it wasn't smart idea, but right now I was too caught up by the fact something was finally happening. I hadn't fully realized how very tired of the stillness of my life I was yet.
The crowd became thinner and thinner, we were nearing the suburb area. I could follow her with eyes more easily now. Finally, I nearly reached her, but the girl turned into a lane. I paused only for a second, then followed.
She had already gotten further and I, tired of the chasing, called after her: "wait!"
The girl stopped. I was surprised - subconsciously I hadn't expected her to.
"What do you want?" she asked and I couldn't understand the tone of her voice, the emotions that were like hidden beneath the ice.
"Why do you wear cats mask?"
Next moment, I was ready to hit my self. I couldn't have asked anything more stupid and pointless, could I? But then again, what exactly I wanted to know anyway?
She looked over her shoulder at me, green eyes glinting in the dim light and gave me malicious smile.
"Who says it's a mask?"

|~ Status:

Last edited by Sadrain; 09-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old Posted 09-11-2010, 08:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #5  
Thread updated with first chapter of story. <33

|~ Status:

Old Posted 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
i feel like i should comment on your thread.... cause im cool like that
Old Posted 09-15-2010, 02:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #7  
Erm, thank you.

|~ Status:

Old Posted 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM Reply With Quote