Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Silent Scream
Default Doomsday? Ugh. (M)   #1  
not really sure if this should be placed here, so if it's not, please do move it in the right place.

I got a text message from a college friend asking me "are you ready for the doomsdaaay? We should have a doomsday parteeyyy"

and all I could ever think was, "da fuck, bitch?"

This friend of mine already knows that I don't believe in that whole doomsday thing and I was and have been brutally honest with her with regard to her "obsession" and that if she would mention it by 12/21/2012, I'll surely hurt her emotionally.

Well, she did and I did hurt her by telling her that it's not true and that she needs to stop texting me these things, if she'd wanted to talk she could've used some other topic because in the first place she knew I don't want to discuss this whole doomsday thing because I don't believe in it.

Do you guys think what I did was wrong? (I could be...)

and, have you had (or do you have) a friend before that does things that really piss you off yet you don't want to hurt them?

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 01:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Is Legen...Wait for it...Dary
Well your friend was being foolish for using that as a topic to start a conversation... also i believe that the whole doomsday thing is fake... just bc the mian calender ended dosent mean the world will end... no one on Earth knows when the world will end... if you are religious and read the bible no man on earth will know the day of judgementday. Only god/mesia or what ever deity you believe in knows...
sorry for typos phone doesnt auto correct unless its text
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 05:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #3  
The Mayan calendar DIDN'T end anyway. It just rolled over, the same way our calendar rolls over every day (after the 23rd hour is the 0th hour), every week (after Saturday is Sunday), every month (after the 31st day is the 1st day), and every year (after December 31st is January 1st). There are Mayan artifacts referencing dates WAY in the future from now.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Lurker of Lurkiness
Overall the fact that people actually think the world will end tomorrow is nonsense. I'm taking it as a silly joke, like "make sure you watch out for zombies on the way to school haha" or "is Ashy on fire yet? lol"

But I'm not gonna throw a party (or go to one) that is just for "the world is ending lets get totally fucked up #yolo"
That's just ... not right.
As fabulous and pretty as they are, Ulti's avatars are always male~

Please use "he"/"him" or "they"/"them" pronouns when referring to me please <3

User since 9-22-10

I love it when people use my Sinopa emotes~ <3
~
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 07:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #5  
@Hyjin:: that's true. Also, I do believe that momma earth will decide if she'll flip her continents and kill us all. xD not some freaking calendar.

@Coda:: Yup, that's actually true. That and some other research that the mayans couldn't continue the calendar because the spaniards have colonized them.
>.> seriously, mayans, aztecs, and that other one (I forgot) had very rich history.

@Ulti:: I take it as a joke too, but this friend of mine had been blabbering about it since we were in college... basically, a year ago. And continued until we have finished it and got jobs.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 07:49 PM Reply With Quote  
The Judged
It sounds like some silly shit me and my friends would laugh about. Troll each other and we party it up. In a way, it sounds to me like you were being too hard and taking it seriously. Yet at the same time, they shouldn't have over-reacted about you and your take on the situation.

As far as college goes, I'd be okay with it-- IF they just remind me once in a while.

Also-- my dentist suggested this hypothesis: the mayans/aztecs were just smoking a little too much and screwed around with the tablets they were writing on.
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #7  
@Xun:: I do take it as a joke, only at times. However, she has been, let's say... pestering me about what should we do, what do I think, is it literally the end of the world or just some spiritual enlightenment, for years. I have been very patient with her. xD

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 08:59 PM Reply With Quote  
-:-o}}}-O-{{{o-:-
Your friend sounds like he or she is not very sensitive. For me that can be an issue, I don't like people pestering me and sending me unwanted texts or emails. I lost a friend under a similar situation because I told her that she should not send me email of a particular kind (nasty joke email) and she got offended because I said that and we never spoke again. For me, anyone who could not be sensitive to my wishes or my thoughts or even just my saying something politely...that made me reexamine the kind of person she was. I decided it was better to leave things like they were and to not involve myself with her further.

So you have to make a decision on that. And it is ok to decide that the person is not one you need to have around you. Alternatively they may have good qualities such that you overlook the silly texts. Up to you.
I used to have a sig. Really.
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 09:16 PM Reply With Quote  
More Magic
Default   #9  
Yeah, people go way too overboard with this stuff, if we were to seriously look at this, the Mayans didn't account for leap years, so technically the world would have ended months ago, not tomorrow. Also, ever since humans have been able to talk and think about the world they've believed it was going to end, it will one day, but no one rightly knows when that will be. This is just so foolish that anyone would believe otherwise.
Formerly known as Massy Deacon
Current avi: Purple Man from FNAF
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 09:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
@Uma: I do overlook her texts and annoying questions. She's my friend, there are just times where she just annoys me.

@massy: imagine what I see in my facebook account ...

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #11  
Haha, you are a better person than me Lauv! Seriously, sounds like if you usually can ignore or overlook the annoying things and still be friends then you guys will eventually get over this too. Especially when it turns out that you all are still here after tomorrow. I don't know if you were wrong or right, sometimes there is only "annoyed" and "pushed too far" and maybe your friend needed to learn your limits even if it did hurt a little bit. We all learn these lessons. But being friends is the most important thing so if you can make up then that is the important thing. Don't be like me and not care.

However, I must say in my defense that the crime was egregious.
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 10:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
I get too guilt-tripped at times. xD I have known myself to be very patient, yet very sharp tongued. Once I've been pushed too far (on my terms) I use my snark and sarcasm, sometimes even not...I just literally cut people's ego. xD It's just that with her, even the littlest thing I'd say would hurt her, even though I am joking...she just over think things. Sometimes I'd ignore her, I would tell myself it's just a waste of time arguing with her.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Default   #13  
It sounds like it is a waste of time. Her mind is firmly made up. What can you do? Just wait it out I suppose until after tomorrow. Then you can be friends again. Hope she does not find a new ridiculous thing to fasten on to. Sometimes people "need" these crazy ideas because without them they feel kind of empty. I have not the slightest idea if that is the case with your friend I am just saying sometimes that happens. I do wish you all the best with it and hope it works out. :)
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 10:36 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Some people do. I do crazy stuff myself, but I make sure the people I do it with are completely okay with it. xD
And thanks Uma for the support. I do hope for the same as well.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-20-2012, 10:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #15  
I try to avoid hurting my friends, but I believe that sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. This sounds like an incident where I would have brutally honest and hurt someone's feelings. They'll probably get over the hurt by the 22nd once they realize that they were wrong, you were right, and that life must go on from there. If they're still mad after that, though, then I hope you're able to patch things up with them.

Let Us All Unite Autotune remix by Melodysheep
Old Posted 12-21-2012, 01:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
I have, kasu-chan
but I sometimes need to zip my mouth to avoid hurting people.

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM Reply With Quote