Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Bald and loving it!
Default Computer issues and wits end!   #1  
So perhaps some one on trisphee can help me rather then the people I bought the computer from.

So I have been needing a new desktop one that has enough power to run photoshop, a tablet and a scanner. I got a desktop but I suppose my first mistake was buying it from a rent to own place. ( I am poor it seemed like the best deal ) Well for the first few weeks it seemed all fine and dandy. Except I kept getting an error message that said the recycle bin in c:\ file was corrupted. I called the lady about it and she said she would look into it.

I attached my scanner and uploaded the program, then I thought well hay I have a good computer I can play sims. So I bought a version of sims. And then the problems seem to tumbleweed into an avalanche. First one day it took my computer forever to boot up and when I got to the main screen it blacked out. I shut it down waited restarted and got an error message saying my computer was checking itself. I can post the full message since I wrote it down in a log to tell the place where I bought the computer. Each time I turn the device on it must go through a ten minute system check. When I finally got it past the log in, my game file was corrupted and my scanner software was not installed correctly or so it says. And the damn trashcan had not deleted itself.

The only advice I was given was to push F3 and do a full system restore back to factory settings. I asked the lady if the computer has viruses as in my experience corrupted anything usually means something is mucking up the internal settings.
She said no that she did the full restore once before and it should work.

My thing is one does anyone know anything about full system restores? Two how do I fully get rid of corrupted files and lastly is it worth it lugging this thing to geek squad?
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 12:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
My question with all this is what version of Windows is it? Or are you running another OS?
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #3  
The advice is sound, and you don't need to go to Geek Squad.

A full system restore is like getting a new computer. It will erase EVERYTHING and rebuild it just like it was when it came from the factory. This will get rid of all of the corrupted files -- and everything else. You will have to reinstall all of your software afterward, and all of your data will be deleted, so make a backup first.

I recommend AGAINST making backups of SOFTWARE, though -- reinstall from the original media or re-download the installer. This is a defense against viruses that may have infected the program files before you make the backup. Infecting existing programs isn't as popular of a technique as it used to be, but as a protective measure it doesn't hurt.

It's actually not likely that you've got a virus, though. It's more likely that something just messed up and damaged some data on the hard drive -- the power going out while saving data, for example, or a bug in some low-level piece of software, or possibly just a spot on the hard drive that has a manufacturing defect. (A full restore will usually be able to work around the defective spot if this is the problem.) The other unfortunate possibility is that the hard drive itself is failing; this happens, and if your problem comes back after the full restore you should take it back to where you got it (NOT Geek Squad!) and get a hard drive replacement under warranty.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 01:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
It runs windows 7

And that oddly comforts me. I am not going crazy nor did I get my computer infected with in a week of having it XD.

Though I was doing the restore from the copy that the store put on the harddrive. That is the only one that exist. When I tried to do the restore it kept saying my D:\ was messed up and something was wrong with the I/O so I aborted the restore and decided to repair the driver and now for the past four hours it has been trying to repair the driver but stuck at 11 percent.

I will have to remember that factory restore thing for my laptop and make sure I have an extra copy of windows because my laptop too had some issues with drivers mucking up.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #5  
What Coda said is solid.

Only reason I asked about the OS was because sometimes I know there can be bugs (though rare) when an OS is installed. If this happens to be the case, then would have to completely re-install the operating system. Usually fixes the problem.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
I dunno if they have an original copy of the software or if the computer came with the os installed already.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
Restoring from the copy on the hard drive IS what you were supposed to do. If THAT'S not working, it's time to go in for warranty service with the place you got it from. Again: Don't take it to Geek Squad. You have a warranty. This is what it's for.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Thank you, I shall call the place that I bought it from and see if they can fix it or ship it off to be fixed. Because I can not exit out of the screen it is in now and the lady told me not to cut the machine off again until it finishes however it has been stuck in the same spot for hours now.
Last edited by Poggio; 11-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:50 PM Reply With Quote