Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Bald and loving it!
Default Objectives on resume? Lets talk resumes ppl.   #1  
So like many I am searching for employment. I see numerous jobs that I can apply to. I am working on reformatting my resume now however it is missing an objective/summery.

The job I am currently applying for is a receptionist position. I meet all of the qualifications as I have worked in library and know how to scan and type and set appointments.

What do you usually write for that sort of thing? I feel like some times when I try to write them they come of as boastful and arrogant. So I am wondering if I could have some advice on what to write?
Old Posted 07-09-2012, 10:31 AM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
there are templates online that you can use. there are templates for certain positions. my resume has and objective, qualifications experience whether job or volunteer (this is optional but I put down 3 references for them to call).

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Old Posted 07-09-2012, 11:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
Default   #3  
I am able to format my resume. I just don't know what to write. What is your objective on your resume?
Old Posted 07-09-2012, 11:41 AM Reply With Quote  
The Lord of Mushrooms
(mine was intended for a broader field of work so it isn't specific); My objective is....to excel and improve in the working industry.

OBBIE'S twin sister
My Baby:Link Super secret Mission:Link
Last edited by Echo-chan713; 07-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old Posted 07-09-2012, 12:00 PM Reply With Quote  
gnometastic
Default   #5  
Resume's should sound boastful, you're trying to sell yourself to a new employer after all. And as to Objectives I tailor mine to what jobs I'm applying too. Research what the company does, see what aspects of their purpose meet what you're interested in. Then figure out how to word it to show that THAT is what you'd like to do.

Employers know you want a job, but they want to know why you'd STAY at a job, so show them what you're working towards, it can be as simple as being the head of reception if you're applying for a general reception job.

Example, I'm currently working a couple departments at my job; sales, inventory, warehouse and weekend deposits. I one day would like to take over deposits full time, so I would say something along those lines, but with more description of why I want it, why I'd be good at it, and why I will achieve it.

Not sure if that helps, but there ya go. Helps that I chat with the hiring managers on a regular basis so I know what at least some of them are looking for out there.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 07-09-2012, 09:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
This is my field. xD You simply need to be confident, simple, short and concise. The point is that you are trying to sell yourself.

Always tailor it for the job as well.
Old Posted 07-13-2012, 05:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Is Legen...Wait for it...Dary
Default   #7  
well from what i have done with my past resumes is previous job experiance, position, and how long i worked there... then voluntere work, position and time frame, education history, any special awards...
Old Posted 07-13-2012, 11:47 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Talking ot my sister who's done this stuff a lot and helped me out with mine, you generally don't need to put objectives and such into the resume itself. That's something you would put in a cover letter which would be tailored to the job in question.

Make sure that you adress the skille required in your resume (if they as for a typing speed, put your typing speed, etc), and put your objectives and other more personal things in the cover letter. If you role play, think of your resume as you stat sheet. ;)

Also, make yourself look good in your cover letter but don't say everything. Stuff needs to be left for the interview as well. If it looks like there is nothing else to know about you from your resume, an employer may be less inclined to set up an interview because they don't feel one is needed to make their choice.
Old Posted 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Lyricist
Default   #9  
I typically avoid an objective. It minimizes the amount of space I have for other things on my resume. An objective is supposed to tell your potential employer what you really want. For example, my last one was:

OBJECTIVE:
To perform my duties within the education field for the sake of promoting high-level learning while guiding children through activities.
Old Posted 07-16-2012, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Be afraid.
yeah its good to either have a broad one or tailor it for each job youre applying for

mine: Career Objective
To obtain a position within a company where I can learn new skills and gain experience in the working environment. I am reliable and willing to undertake any training required to fulfill any given task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem View Post
It was Ashy's abs that brought us forth

Gallagher is my eternal nemesis
I have Fen's Boobs
Nexy's Wench
Old Posted 07-25-2012, 05:54 AM Reply With Quote