Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pixelist
Default laptop green screened.   #1  
yeah, thanks YTer brother.

aka: my laptop green-screened, then went back to normal functioning after a slight glitch.

it's probably the display drivers, but i don't have the money to replace any hardware in it.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 02-03-2020, 11:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I wouldn't sweat it. Intermittent graphical glitches like that are kind of annoying but unless they're so frequent that it interferes with your ability to use the computer it's probably better to just deal with it. If it's a one-time thing, just shrug and move on.

If it is a driver issue, you can try newer GPU drivers (if they exist) or older GPU drivers. It could also be a transient hardware issue; I've seen that come up with overheating before, for example.

Otherwise, it could be hardware damage, perhaps due to water (even a single drop can do it if you're unlucky) or dirty power or overheating for too long. This can sometimes be repaired but it's kinda expensive because laptops are really annoying to service and you can't really just swap out parts like you can in a desktop.

But really, odds are it's something you can just ignore.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-04-2020, 12:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #3  
i've been having issues similar to this for some time, iirc, YTer brother mentioned that he's also had the issue.

usually i have to force it off, but this time it. resolved itself, which is sort of weird because usually it doesn't do that.

i'd assume it's probably the drivers in the first place because, y'know, those things are a pain in the ass but easier to update.

the laptop itself is on some sort of usb fan thing, which i haven't really got the lead for, i don't think. so there shouldn't be any overheating issues.

Old Posted 02-04-2020, 12:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
What kind of laptop?

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-04-2020, 01:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #5  
hell if i know. i am not taking pictures. i just know that it can just about run that one 3ds emulator (citra) at around 60fps.

i can grab the specs but i sure as hell don't know the bloody brand. not willing to talk with my brother, he's hard as hell to get a hold of.

Old Posted 02-04-2020, 01:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The brand isn't printed on the bottom of the laptop? O.o Weird.

Old Posted 02-04-2020, 03:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #7  
fuck if i know.

my brother is actually legitimately shit at telling people things they *should* know. iirc the damn thing has been upgraded with a secondary drive, which shouldn't cause any problems as far as i know.

Old Posted 02-05-2020, 09:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
A secondary drive... in a laptop? Actually that can cause trouble unless it's a USB drive. It's really rare for a laptop to support additional internal drives.

Okay, um... Click on the start menu and type "control panel" to bring up the old-style control panel. Click System and Security, then System (in both cases the green header text is actually a link), and that screen should have what we need to know on it in order to identify what kind of laptop you have.

Old Posted 02-05-2020, 12:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #9  
odd. it hasn't caused any problems as far as i can tell. it's an SSD drive, iirc.

will do that once i get back home.

edit: ...slowly realizing that, y'know, having a secondary drive in the laptop and the potential for problems would have been nice to know. jesus christ do i hate my brother right now.

Last edited by Stabbsworth; 02-05-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: MY RAGE IS ENDLESS.
Old Posted 02-05-2020, 01:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's not a problem in that sense. Some laptops actually do have a place for it for it; it's just rare. Slightly less rare is for a laptop to have a high-speed boot drive that's kinda low capacity and then a larger drive for storage. And if it's actually an upgraded drive instead of a secondary drive then that's not a problem at all as long as Windows got reinstalled correctly.

I just spoke a bit hastily and didn't communicate it well -- if there's not a way to install one at all, then trying to install one is going to be a super invasive process, and that is of course going to be a problem. But you'd KNOW if that was the case, because there would probably be holes cut in the body or something. I've only seen it done a couple times and that was by people who make a habit of doing crazy mods to stuff.

Old Posted 02-05-2020, 05:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #11  
ah yeah. that makes more sense.

i did a google search and apparently the only time it'd cause any problems is if the drive itself isn't detected by windows or anything.

and i also forgot to grab a screenshot of my specs. whoops.
(i also forgot to get some footage of transformice for someone bc we were yelling about the yandere trope and they use it for coping and it's rude to make someone sad.)

Old Posted 02-06-2020, 01:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist

got an image. this is the basic information, not sure how to access the bigger block of information.

worth noting is that my entire screen went orange at least five minutes after i booted this fuckin thing up for the day, then the system restarted. i'm getting seriously fucking sick of this shite, i'll tell you that much. also, golly gee, it would be nice if my massive twatfucker of a brother would actually help me with this and stop being so hard to reach to the point where i have to rely on some people on the internet to help.

i have updated the graphics drivers, but that was after the entire system got forcibly restarted.

(also worth noting is that the fucking search bar disappeared for a bit. i had to click on the icon that opens the start menu to get it back. this system is being a rude prat.)

EDIT: i got this laptop for 400£, these usually go for 700£-ish, this laptop has been used before and i don't know how long my brother has used it.

Last edited by Stabbsworth; 02-07-2020 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Posted 02-07-2020, 03:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #13  
The search bar is useless and I always turn it off because it just wastes space on the taskbar. You can just open the start menu (either with the mouse or by pressing the Windows key) and start typing, and it'll search.

That's the block I was asking for, but it doesn't have the information I'm looking for. That could just be because that laptop didn't come with Windows 10 installed on it, and that's an upgrade or a fresh install. That's not a problem in and of itself, but it does suggest a possible avenue of troubleshooting.

If you're okay with sending me more information (and be advised that this will contain a LOT of information) then do this:

(1) Open "Command Prompt".
(2) Type this command: msinfo32 /report c:\sysinfo.txt
(3) Open the file c:\sysinfo.txt in Notepad.
(4) Copy-paste the contents into a PM and send it to me.

Disclaimer: I strongly advise against doing this for just anyone. It SHOULDN'T contain any especially sensitive information (it might contain your name), but it's still a big file full of stuff you might not necessarily be aware of, so only send it to people you trust.

Old Posted 02-07-2020, 06:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i mean, it's vaguely useful enough that i debate with myself on whether to turn it off or not.

i could probably grab my system information from steam? not too sure about using command prompts, frankly, as there's a lot of potential to fuck something up there.
(hence why i'm damn well terrified of the registry keys. /joke)

Old Posted 02-08-2020, 11:27 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
It's actually not that easy to damage Windows from the command line. Microsoft doesn't offer that many tools that are easy enough to use but able to actually cause damage -- so it's unlikely that you could accidentally do it. The msinfo32 command doesn't even have the ability to change anything.

The Steam one might not have what I'm looking for, but I guess I can look.

Old Posted 02-09-2020, 12:12 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
well, that makes sense.
i might be able to find a bigger block of information, ik there was a way to do it on windows 7.

plus steam is pretty useful in that regard in the first place, mind you.

Old Posted 02-09-2020, 01:40 PM Reply With Quote