Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dragon Storm
Default Reminiscing on an Old Game (2142)   #1  
Something got me on the topic of an old favorite game of mine, which I recently discovered is going offline due to GameSpy shutting down. EA Games (Patch Everything) plans on keeping this game up somewhat (they say they will try to find an alternative server source to run this game, and others, on)

Battlefield 2142 is one of the few games that does not really support modification, is online...and I never really became annoyed with it.

I like games that keep the action/gameplay from being boring, where you work as a team/interact with other people,
and this is likely the best First-Person-Shooter game for that. It really took the idea of strategy games and FPS...and combined them. You still had old FPS style open world with tanks, walls, buildings, and such...but you had squads, and a commander who could call down artillery, give orders (following them gave extra points) and supplies (Need a dune buggy? Here you go!)...and he moved the equivalent of an airborne aircraft carrier across the map!

Your squads could use beacons/drones...and the vehicles included Walkers (The Gundam Wing in me loved using them), camouflage technology, and sensor arrays. Though there was much open space (thus letting tanks and the like rule), there were also several buildings (sniper nests) and bunker areas (A LMG's, or a shotgunner's, best friend).
There were different modes, including the Titan/Aircraft Carrier, a mega-tank known as the Goliath in a battle of attrition points, and common FPS Capture the Flag. Add in the squad drones, Battle-Walkers, squads, unlocks, and a strategic commander, and it was hard to get bored with the game.

The Titan was my favorite - it was an equilizer in the FPS gaming, as it allowed one team to win even if they lost all ground support (park the Aircraft Carrier over one Spawn point, and have 3/4 of your forces Zerg Rush it...) and the close quarters/corridors came the closest to a squad gunfight in an online game I know of.

Overall, I just wanted to go over some nostalgia, and hope another game like that comes by sometime (or that I could help make something like it)...They already have a storybase for it...

Any thoughts and/or comments?
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 05-27-2014, 05:07 PM Reply With Quote