Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #3089  
Personally, I don't mind snow. As long as the temperature stays above 20F. It's the uce and really cold temps that I take issue with...

Also. Started a hopefully really badass mermaid tail blanket last night. Only 2 rows so far, but I do have some other projects I need to finish first.
Old Posted 11-10-2018, 07:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
What makes it badass? Is it a special color scheme, do you work actual scales into it, are you doing it with novelty yarn, ...? *curious*
Old Posted 11-10-2018, 07:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #3091  
Doing a kind of flame colored gradient with it. Dark red at the top then, red, dark red-orange, orange, down to a not-quite mustard yellow at the fins.

Would 100% love to do one with actual scales, but I can't afford that (we're talking over $100 easily) unless I just do like scattered and small patches.
That would also mean needing to find the time to modify the looser figure 8 stitch to a much tighter garter stitch for the pattern.
Yarn colors:
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 11-10-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old Posted 11-10-2018, 07:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Flame colored gradient still sounds pretty neat, even with actual scales being too expensive.

(I've also ran into similar problems once or twice. For example I wanted to 3d-print a pencil holder consisting of the numbers of pi running down in a spiral. But when I did the math for our fab lab printer, it would've tallied up to around 108 bucks. Yeah, not gonna happen)

Then again I've spent quite a sum on hobby materials throughout the years, just not at once. And I still have a sheet of worbla I should finally do something with ^^;

But next project is probably loom knitting too. I started with the shawl you linked me, then ran out of yarn halfway, and now it's still sitting there waiting for the day I find another of the exact same skein. By now it really bugs me I don't have a single finished loom knitting project, so I'm going to just grab one of the other looms and make something else in the meantime.
Old Posted 11-11-2018, 05:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #3093  
I may experiment with stitches later just to see if I can convert to the right stitch for working with scales even...
I might have enough scales in a few colors to do small scale patches...but not on this blanket. XD

And yeah, I've definitely invested a ton of money in my crafts over the years. I think my last mermaid tail blanket ended up being almost or just over $100 in yarn because I decided to buy expensive stuff, but spread out over like 8 months. And almost always bought on sale only.
Just because even with 2 jobs, I'm pretty broke, it's rare for me to spend more than $30 on craft supplies at any given time.
Although, if I can get my debt under control more this winter, and maybe sell some items, I might at least look into potential scale cost.
Old Posted 11-11-2018, 12:27 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
I'm considering actually expanding the color range of my wardrobe. But... that costs aurum :<
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 11-11-2018, 10:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #3095  
4 rows in on the mermaid tail blanket and am about 90% sure that one of the flimsy af pegs on my loom is ready to snap off at any minute. So that's on hold until I can steal borrow a nail from work that I can use when it eventually gives up.
Also being lazy, but have made a tiny bit of progress on the shawl that I started back in Sept. Am hoping to have it done by the end of the week. And just had a former co-worker request a blue and pink dragon. But that I can get paid for at least. So might have to start it soon.
Old Posted 11-11-2018, 11:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Sounds good.
Well, not the peg breaking, but that you make progress on your shawl and scored yourself a paid project. Will you make the dragon after the same pattern as Derpy, or is it a different one?
Old Posted 11-12-2018, 05:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #3097  
Same pattern. I haven't found any other dragon patterns for loom knitting that I like. And I'm bad at making patterns.
But different colors. She has requested blue and pink.
Old Posted 11-12-2018, 02:28 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
So are we gonna do a hiatus on the craft along for winter maybe? Or do a 2 month theme: Holiday Crunch Time.
xD
ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 06:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #3099  
ooh ooh ooh!! i'm finished (to the best of my knowledge anyway) with my chanukah crochet! i have my hubby's blanket but that's xmas, and he knows there's a possibility it might be late. i also have a blanket for a friend of mine, but with her outlook on everything, she probably isn't expecting anything for the holidays anyway. so that's like new year's.

so, until two of my cousins decided to tell me if their kids want anything crocheted for chanukah, i'm DONE! XD

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 06:54 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
HOORAY FOR BEING DONE!

Also I made a shirt! Well, no, actually I ironed a picture onto a blank shirt yesterday!

ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #3101  
Yeah, I think we'll put it on hold for now. Maybe in a few months people express interest again, and then we can decide on a new theme. I know for certain I won't have time for much crafting in November, and I think I was the only picture showing craftalong participant since September ^^
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
oooh that's cool, Damies!

Death, i'm always crafting something, i just don't always post it here.... and it doesn't always fit the theme either....

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 07:02 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #3103  
Sooooo I am thinking of opening a different store front for my finished crafts that I want to sell.And I can't decide 100% if I want to do it via etsy which is a huge but saturated market, or on Zibbet which is smaller but has better features from a selling perspective in my opinion...

Etsy have no fees if I don't list, while Zibbet has a subscription type set up (4-20 dollars a month depending on the plan and if you pay for a full year at once) and I'm just running in circles in my head and its driving me insane. 8'D

link to zibbet
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Damies; 11-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 07:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
trys, I didn't mean to imply people don't craft ^^ just the lack of people posting photos of stuff that fits the monthly theme renders the whole theme-picking kinda moot. It was fun while it lasted, but right now there simply isn't much demand for an ongoing craftalong.
Old Posted 11-13-2018, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote