Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default Help me find a new laptop?   #1  
I've decided it's time for a new laptop. My Stealth (not pro) is three years old now and the battery is wobbly and worse, my games are edging out of its specs. I've been looking at laptops for an hour plus now and all I've gotten myself are second guesses and a headache.

I've consulted my techy relatives and one suggested I go with the ASUS ROG (not totally sure which) but I've heard of keyboard issues (not that I didn't have keyboard issues with this thing) and the one I saw in store didn't appear to have enough USBs (without separate jacks for headset and mic, I need to switch my headset to USB, plus one USB for my mouse at minimum).

So it seems I have a couple snags when picking out a laptop.

Problem 1: I'm picky.
I have a list of must haves and it's hard to find them all in one unit. A right hand number-pad. NVidia 1050 or above Video card. i7 Processor. 12gig or better RAM. Better storage than I have now. 5 pounds or less. (Yeah, that's a hard one).

Problem 2: Price.
I'm in Canada. This seems to mean that whenever I see what looks like a good deal, I'm inevitably on a US website and the real price is actually a few hundred dollars more. I was hoping to spend less on a laptop this time around but I doubt I can pull that off and keep much of my picky list.

At this point, I'm tempted to just get another Stealth but I've heard that MSI has been going a little downhill since I bought this thing in 2014.I thought I'd try and find a new comp all by myself this time! But no...fail. At least for now.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-02-2018 at 04:13 AM.
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 02:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I'm just gonna sit here in this thread because I need a new one, too, and basically want the same specs as you.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-02-2018, 05:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #3  
Okay, so... Just a few points of note.

It's not possible to find a number pad in a laptop smaller than 15.6". There's just not room for it. And at that size, 4.5lbs is about the lightest that physics will allow it to be.

You said "at least" a 1050. Why a 1050 in specific? Because that influences what "at least" means. If you don't need a feature new to the 1000 series then a 960 is equivalent and a 980 is better. If you DO need a 1000-series feature, then the search gets harder. But you probably DON'T.

You aren't going to find lots of USB ports on a laptop. More ports is opposed to lighter weight and lower price. Just buy a cheap unpowered hub. Don't let USB ports be a make-or-break point.

You said "better storage" but you didn't say what you have or what "better" means to you. Do you mean "bigger" or "faster"?

What's your budget look like?

Right now, the ASUS ZenBook looks like it might be your best bet.

The Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is coming in close behind, with slightly better specs but a somewhat less reliable manufacturer.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 11:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I don't think Quiet will mind if I borrow her thread for a moment (I've already exhausted my opinions on what she should get) but I'm also looking to replace mine this year sometime and having a hard time finding anything.

I've had https://www.amazon.com/G752VY-DH72-1...01578ZM6Q?th=1 this for going on 3 years now, with really no complaints, but the warranty is running out and it feels like I should be able to find a decent upgrade now, but aside from jumping up into the $3500+ price bracket, I can't seem to find anything that looks objectively better despite the age. Excluding the sale on Amazon, it's still selling for the exact price I got it at even.

Any recommendations, Coda? Is it even worth replacing right now?
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 04:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
*whistle* That's a beast of a rig you got there, Suze. No, there's no reason to upgrade. You've already got a M.2 SSD for high-performance I/O and plenty of slower storage for content, more RAM than you're likely to ever use, and a GTX980 is (as mentioned above) better than a 1050. Given that most games really don't use all that much CPU power (they're primarily GPU- and I/O-constrained) you would be hard-pressed to find a machine that would give you a noticeable increase in performance even if you paid $3500 for it.

(Sure, if you landed a GTX1080 then you'd squeeze a few more FPS out of your games or you could crank up the quality settings a little more, but with those specs your current performance is probably so good that the improvement would just be incremental.)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 05:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. Guess I'll look into renewing the warranty. Thanks, Coda.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 06:33 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #7  
Yeah, I guess I left out a few details, and not at all! Go ahead, Suze.

My price range is $1500-$2000 Canadian, ideally on the lower end, which hampers things a little. I had hoped this thing (I currently have an MSI Stealth GS70) would last longer but I guess I got spoiled by my previous laptop that went almost a decade.

My current computer has a 900 series card and it's not keeping up with what I wan to do, so I need something better. I picked 1050 more or less because that's what I keep seeing as the average. A 1060 or higher would be nice, but not required.

The size is for portability. Yes, it's likely I can't get under 5 pounds without just buying another Stealth, but I have enough problems with my back and neck that I'd go for the lighter weight over other things, like the number pad. Part of the shift from 17 to 15.6 inch is the hope to find a lighter set-up, and maybe a cheaper one. I intend to get a desktop at some point, but it's not practical right now since I tote my computer around a good bit and will be doing so another year or two at least.

I'm actually looking at an ASUS GL503VD-DB71, which looks like the Strix but doesn't have the name attached to it. It does mention a hybrid drive, which is new to me. Reads: 1TB SSHD Hybrid Drive (8GB SSD Cache). Am I right in the thought that it's basically a 1T hard drive with an SSD for a bit of a speed boost? I'm not sure if I need an SSD for most games. I don't use it now for playing games like Dark Souls 3, but I do have some hiccups running them, which I've assumed so far is the video card.

EDIT: My mistake. I have a GTX 860M, and I'm looking at GTX 1050.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-02-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
*stalks this thread for ideas*
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 11:31 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #9  
So after further consultations with Tech Support, and looking up these benchmark things I hear about, I checked out the specs for Nier Automata which appears to be my most demanding and barely playable game right now, and I should be looking at at least a GTX 1060 (or equivalent, but I'm not sure what that would be. These are still just numbers to me). I'm not married to 60 fps at 1080 resolution, but it would be nice if the game actually worked. I think I'd like to have around 16GB ram.

You mentioned Dell, Coda. Thought on that? My brother, who has bought some 20 of the things for his company, finds them to be quite reliable, more so than others they have tried, but these also aren't gaming laptops.

I checked out these "I Buy Power" people that I just encountered in a youtube review of the ASUS ROG Strix. There little quick picks thing on their mobile site picked up the MSI GF62VR 7RF, the Chimera PA71HS-G Slim, and the MSI GS73VR 120Hz Stealth Pro-225. Prices range from 1400 - 1900 USD. (ASUS ROG Zephyrus is there but out of my price range).

I have thought about getting the new model Stealth Pro, but Iam concerned of the potential resurgence of they keyboard issue (a known keyboard issue from the response I got from the MSI forums when I asked about it) which I had to get MSI to fix under warranty. I have a personal suspicious that the thinness of the design is partly to blame, because pressure on certain parts of the case can cause the mouse to jump, so I am leery when I hear talk about the "soft touch" casing, which I think this is supposed to be. There was a comment on a review of the new Stealth Pro that the mouse has the same jumping habit. A user made a complaint about the space bar, though not what the complaint was. I notice this space bar doesn't always work on the right side.

My brother is going to check out a local place known for building custom computers and modifying others, so we'll see if they can put something together. That's what I'd like to do, I think. Would save me the headaches of looking through comparing every number that I barely understand on these things.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 02-03-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old Posted 02-03-2018, 03:26 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
You said "at least" a 1050. Why a 1050 in specific? Because that influences what "at least" means. If you don't need a feature new to the 1000 series then a 960 is equivalent and a 980 is better. If you DO need a 1000-series feature, then the search gets harder. But you probably DON'T.
I'm mostly copying what I seem to find online as honestly, most of this talk is still above my knowledge level. I know there are different features with certain NVidia series of cards, but I'm not sure what they are. Since the big card of the say seems to be the 1080, I've been running with the 10 series in mind, as well as what I find in reviews and such.

Here's my annoying game list, from most trouble to least.

NieR: Automata - this is the game where I need to load it twice, restart my comp, load it again, cross my fingers and rain dance and hope I get above a 13 fps. I do run a user made menu thing to change some graphics settings around, but it's still haphazard to play.

Dark Souls 3 - didn't used to be an issue but it is now. I can barely maintain a frame rate in the 20-30s, which I need for online play. I have the graphics settings and resolution turned down to roughly medium and I still get booted at times. The area of the map I'm in does seem to matter.

Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire - was running alright until the PoF expansion came out. That raised the specs needed and now I have a diagonal line across my screen where the picture will cut or wobble a little bit. I've turned some settings down. My frame rate is usually okay but it doesn't look at nice as it used to.
Old Posted 02-03-2018, 03:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #11  
Looks like the new features in the 10-series have little to do with gaming. It's got stuff for doing compute on GPU (which is why they're nigh-impossible to find on the market right now) and DRM compatibility features (4K Blu-Ray mostly), but the only stuff that will actually matter to a gaming workload on a laptop is support for GDDR5 RAM, which on its own isn't going to make that big of a difference.

So yeah, for your purposes, a 980 is going to be WAY better than a 1050, and even a 950 will be an upgrade from what you have. This will help you keep costs down because it means you can go for a slightly older laptop, though by now you may need to buy refurbished (but this will ALSO bring costs down) -- you can probably find a good machine for USD$1100.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Dell. They don't make crap systems. Their customer service is awful and their system software is blah, but if you get a Dell laptop then it'll serve you fine. I just prefer to go for a brand that doesn't think it's necessary to preload branded software into the OS.

Old Posted 02-03-2018, 11:57 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I want this computer to last a couple years, and be able to play a new game or two so I'd prefer to have a video card a little above mid-range. I've decided that, for my purposes, it's better to overspend on better tech, than under spend on something that won't have any longevity. I don't want to regret going too cheap in six months.

Quote:
I just prefer to go for a brand that doesn't think it's necessary to preload branded software into the OS.
Is this the "bloatware" that I hear about?
Old Posted 02-03-2018, 11:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #13  
A 980 IS above midrange. A 1050 won't give you the staying power. My wife has a 960 in her desktop, it's a year and a half old, and it's not showing signs of slowing down at all yet -- she runs Overwatch at high/ultra settings at full framerate. A 980 is better than that. A 1080 isn't "a little above mid-range", it's "top of the line." Meanwhile a 1050 is right in the middle of midrange.

The thing about tech these days is that we've hit the point where even the cheap stuff is so good that it's no longer necessary to upgrade every two years if you want to play games.

If you buy last year's high-end laptop, it'll give you 2-3 years no problem.

As for bloatware: Yeah, it is. It's the kind of stuff you're certain to almost never use but you can't get rid of.

Old Posted 02-03-2018, 11:54 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Given the price tag attached to the 1080, it's not something I'm trying for. The 1050 does seem to be the dominant figure in the laptops I was looking at, but after deciding its probably not up to what I want to do, I'm upping my price range a bit.

I'm assuming I'll want to stick with an Intel i7 processor? I know nothing about the other one (AMD?).

My step-bro is currently leery of MSI, which has apparently gone downhill right now, which is a titch annoying because they seem to be in the weight range that I want. But then, it looks like I might have the same problem that this one had. He's recommending an ASUS, as far as brand. Not sure how important the brand it, but it's convenient to be able to axe some options from the list.
Old Posted 02-04-2018, 12:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #15  
i haven't had time (or sobriety) to read through the rest of this thread, but.

a few of my friends are reccing that i just get the rig i have right now, or one w similar specs. ftr I'm currently using a dell xps 15, i5, nvidia gtx 9...60? 970? can't remember. works pretty damn well when it actually works, and is really friggin light. the screen is as edge-to-edge as you can get on a laptop; the border/margin is maybe...half a centimeter on all sides?

so yeah, maybe look into that, or similar laptops. major downsides for me is the lack of an ethernet port and cd drive. Also, the fan vent is stupidly located on the bottom of the laptop, and also blowing into the hinge of the screen. who tf designed that.

oh, another con is that the fan's fucking loud. and i might have just gotten a faulty laptop, since apparently none of my friends' friends have the BIOS and boot issues that I've had. But. yeah.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-04-2018, 04:50 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Not sure what defines loud, until I hear it. I can hear mine running all the time, I just take it as a given. I don't much care about the screen border. Mine right now I suppose is pretty thick, with an inch or more on each side (more on top and bottom than sides).

I just assume that disc drives aren't the norm anymore, and I've only suffered once from it, when I needed one to use my tablet install software, so I borrowed my brother's external drive.

There are a few XPS 15s that I can see, but most seem to have the GTX 1050, and one with a 630. That lack of a number pad would irritate me though. It has the same weight listed as my Stealth, which is pretty cool.

Weight is an issue that I may just have to work around, which sucks. I already have one of the lightest you can get and it probably strained my buddy neck and shoulder muscles just toting it to one class and some errands on campus the other day.

It looks like, at the end of the day, so get something I figure I'll be happy with is going to cost me $2000, which is what I spent on this thing, so figure it shouldn't be surprised.

Looking forward to the day I can get a desktop without too much inconvenience Really, if it weren't for the video card dragging, I wouldn't get a new laptop at all right now.
Old Posted 02-04-2018, 05:15 AM Reply With Quote