Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Icy Footed
Default   #97  
:D I used to watch the X Files when it ran in the 90s! I was like four or five, xD and I'd sneak out of bed to watch it with my parents haha!
It was then, that they slowly realized, their child was not a normal little bean at all.~ X'D

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 01-29-2019, 01:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
I was... huh, 9? 10 maybe? Something along the line. And it really wasn't that scary - it's more of a mystery show than a horror one after all - but she still insisted this is not appropriate material for a kid. Mind you, I learnt to read at age 3, so she knew I was used to material way beyond my age (when you've been reading for three years already, you're not even looking twice at the beginner books suggested for your age where the font is super big, every sentence no longer than four words, and half the nouns are replaced with little pictures to make it easier). But yeah, she didn't want me to watch Jurassic Park in cinema either, because apparently the director back then said in an interview he would not let his own children watch the movie. Which also translated to "definitely not appropriate" in her mind.

Ironically the one person in my family with an actual talent to always come in at the worst possible moment was my grandma. Imagine watching an otherwise completely innocent film with one single scene of shooting, and guess who walks into the living room one second before, just right in time to witness what "brutal stuff" grandpa and me were watching. Even during children's cartoons she would inevitably show up at the exact moment someone gets dynamite shoved into their mouth or an anvil dropped on the head.
Old Posted 01-29-2019, 07:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #99  
iirc, i remember being told that i was reading way above my grade.
Old Posted 02-06-2019, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Oh man, I read way above my grade level in grade school. I'm one of those students who was really gifted as a kid and then failed in college.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2019, 03:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #101  
let's high five, espy
Old Posted 02-07-2019, 07:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
yeah. i hate. i hate that i was considered a gifted kid. because then it caused me to get passed over for mental shit and i ended up spiraling into getting a school counselor for outbursts of anger and i ended up depressed in secondary.

i might still be depressed nowadays, actually. never really fit in at school, either.

the whole schooling system needs to be reworked, honestly.
Old Posted 02-07-2019, 10:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #103  
I... don’t think I fit well with the US traditional education system. I’ve been stuck in undergrad for seven years.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2019, 12:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
mm.

over in the uk, it's not much better. we have school counselors, but they can only do so much.
Old Posted 02-07-2019, 04:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #105  
I mean, IMO, my advisor could have /not/ suspended me even after I told her I potentially wouldn’t make it out of suspension alive, but.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2019, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
what the fuck
my advisor was nicer when I told him about my mental health but
it would've been nicer if he had like, helped with me research, too
Old Posted 02-07-2019, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #107  
Yet here I remain.

<And I am apparently a coping method.>
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 02-07-2019, 06:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
yikes.

also, Klei removed Warbucks from don't starve, haha. replaced him with a cooler character.
Old Posted 02-07-2019, 06:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #109  
Yeah, system is broken here too. Not sure if that helps.

Basically if you enjoy to think for yourself instead of regurgitating stupid stuff like a parrot, and - blasphemy! - learning new things is actual fun for you... then nope, prepare to be an outcast during your entire "education" period. My biggest childhood wish was for my family to be rich enough to hire private tutors. And yes, that scored even higher on the list than a visit to Disneyland. Meh, at some point you either start to detach or know how to say Fuck You, World in ten different languages.

On the plus side it's always been the strange folks, the unreasonable, the freaks who challenge existing values and invent new things. Guys, I think two hundred years from now students will curse they have to learn all our names in history class.
Old Posted 02-09-2019, 06:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
I'd. Like to be remembered, you know? But like hell if I'll even be able to code up a game that people enjoy or something.

Aye, sure, they might be able to find my roleplay blogs in lost internet archives and shit, but I'd be a ghost by then.
Old Posted 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #111  
mdom, known for loving rainbows too much in avatar sites, started a rebellion

as in people gathered against her to get her banned from all sites due to the eye strain
Old Posted 02-09-2019, 07:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Merskelly; forever shall be forgotten...
buuut maybe remembered as the roleplaying addict she was and by the stupidity she shared and the platonic comfort that she offered to all that would give her something shiny?? :D eeeeeeeeeehhhbmlblblblmb? *sinks in pond blowing bubbles* ;w;|||

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 02-09-2019, 09:36 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
*picks nose*, first hangout ever, meh?, merskelly metalien, that weird pond