Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Queen of Typoes
Default   #4833  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
9 days left you said? I need to get over there haha
well, 8 days now, since they're now closed for thursday.

yeah, i think AC Moore is an east coast thing, centered in NJ. at least, the warehouse is in NJ, i think.....

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 01:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
It definitely is. I’m from the pacific northwest, lived in NC 10 years now. And can confirm it’s not anywhere over there xD I’m really glad to have Hobby Lobby tho I gotta say. We didn’t have that either. Not sure if they do now or not but...it’s better than Michael’s and Joann’s in my opinion lol of course it depends on what you’re looking for though.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 01:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4835  
Bish, don't diss my store! Hobby Lobby is not better than JoAnn!
D8<

(They do have more craft stuff, but their yarn is mostly about the same imo and their fabric selection is garbage.)

Lol
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 01:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Hobby Lobby is overpriced
And the ones over here are more about home decor than crafts

quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merskelly Metalien View Post
Kitalpha is a face again! 8O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
hart is now a face again. rejoice.

if you read this you owe me one aurum
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 01:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4837  
I dunno, I think the prices are about the same, however, pretty much every time I go in, all the stuff I want is already on some sale, so I can't use any coupon.
At JoAnn, I usually can use a coupon. Or at the very least, the sale is usually better.

Yeah here the entire center of the store is home decor and jars/storage containers and then the outer section of the store is all the aisles of craft items....and half the home decor stuff is religous themed. Which is fine I guess as HL is actually a mormon-owned organization, but it's kind of obnoxious to go there for yarn and get slammed in the face with bible quotes and crosses.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 02:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
I already live in the south, bible verses and crosses are kinda just a normal thing anymore xD and I’m not religious lol I don’t mind it tho. It’s not hurting me at all to walk past it.

JoAnn is definitely better for fabric. As it is a fabric store technically. But for what I do I prefer Hobby Lobby. Michael’s is overpriced imo. HL isn’t so bad. Idk maybe it’s a regional difference?

Also Hobby Lobby’s brand of yarn (I love this yarn) is f-ing amazing imo. So soft and easy to work with and so many wonderful colors ~
My JoAnn is incredibly small and has such a lack of yarn it’s sad.

Back on the west coast JoAnn was my go to. So I get it and I’m not knocking it lol. Each one has some advantage/disadvantage again to what you’re going in for.

I personally love all the decor things HL has xD
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 02:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #4839  
Mom works at Michael's and holy crap sale price plus employee discount means she can get some stuff obnoxiously cheap. Some so cheap she hits the minimum price required point lol

quest

Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted 02-21-2020, 02:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
It's just an annoyance. I get enough toxic religious opinions thrown at me by my family that my reaction to anything religious is negative.

I haven't used too much of the yarn I've bought from HL yet, but I have picked up a lot of really pretty stuff. Most of it on clearance. For most craft stuff I buy, Michael's seems also to be similarly priced to Joann and HL, but I also seldom shop there. Partly because their yarn selection is kinda bad and partly because it's way out of the way and hard to get to without a car.
I will say, the yarn selection at the JoAnn I work at isn't the best in the world, but it is actually sufficient for most projects I do. We even have a couple shelf sections of just yarn cakes and they're really pretty! I'm using one for a shawlette and the color gradient is absolutely gorgeous.

I'm not much of a "Instagram perfect home decor" kind of person. My apartment is pretty bland; I prefer function over form, but HL does have some chairs I want to pick up soon to replace my bulky, space-eating chairs and loveseat with something more sleek and space-saving. Plus they're prettier and will brighten up the space more.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 02:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #4841  
Haha I got some awesome free stuff from party city that way. Got a nice pair of platform heels in my size for absolutely free because one buckle was broken. That was it. Such an easy fix.

Idk again I guess what I go for just isn’t as much at Michael’s as it is at HL or JoAnn. I shop those two the most.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 02:59 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Yeah and see I don’t make clothes/big projects so things like yarn cakes, while pretty, are of no use to me because if I’m using a variegated yarn I was faster color changes.
That’s pretty much all my JoAnn’s has. I used to get safety eyes there because HL didn’t carry any but the ones they have now are horrible and I can’t get the backings on. So amazon here I come lol

I like to go to Michael’s for embroidery floss and that’s about it lol (they have a bigger section and it’s slightly cheaper which is good when you buy so many at a time like I do)
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 03:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4843  
I would like to actually suggest glasseyesonline.com for safety eyes? I like them a lot because of the variety they offer I get some great slit-pupil eyes from them that are absolutely perfect for dragons, cats, etc.
But I suppose for plain black eyes in bulk, Amazon probably has better pricing. I just prefer to support smaller independently owned shops over major corporations whenever possible.

Ah, see the Michael's here has a pretty small embroidery floss section. The one at HL and Joann are much better.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 03:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Yeah I definitely think it’s just a regional thing. Kinda whatever they have more in stock lol

Oh cool thanks I’ll check them out. I tend to shop amazon because it’s convenient. And my mom has prime soooo free shipping lol and I don’t usually use specialty ones. I just need the backs to be usable OTL
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 03:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4845  
I will say that I find the backs a little tough to get on, though that's more likely just because the yarn of my plushies is generally pretty thick, which makes it tricky. But for thinner materials it would probably be fine. And they also sell a tool I find handy for snapping the backs on without too much struggle.
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 03:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Ooh there’s a tool to help? Gotta get me one of those.
The Darice ones I got at JoAnn, I pushed as hard as I possibly could, my fingers were white trying to press, and they wouldn’t go on. And I wasn’t trying to attach it to anything.
Id tried to use it on a project and it didn’t work, so i was gonna sacrifice one to see if i even could get the back on. Nope.
Eyes so safe you can’t even use them xD
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 03:54 AM Reply With Quote  
Hakuna matata
Default   #4847  
If mom can ever get off the register she's gonna clean up the yarn section at the one she works at
At the one she used to work at, if she's there to buy stuff or see her former coworkers they can and will direct people to her for yarn. Did that even when she worked there lol

quest

Quote:
Quote:

Old Posted 02-21-2020, 04:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Some people know their stuff xD
Old Posted 02-21-2020, 04:30 AM Reply With Quote