Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Mother Ship
Default Cell phones and their batteries?   #1  
I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I adore this phone.

My last phone - even though it was suppose to be a 'smart' phone - hardly could even make phone calls or texts. That doesn't sound very smart to me.

I call my new phone 'Goblin Phone.'

I'm thinking of getting an extra battery for it because I love to play games on it and I love playing with apps.

I wanted to ask, what kind of phone do you have/like?
And do you have experience with keeping more than one battery handy for your phone.
I've been in the hospital for a month!
Pneumonia. Complications and chest tubes.
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, the thing with "smart" phones, they usually have to be whatever G is the latest (3 or 4G) which the coverage varies between providers. Me and my brother are on the same provider, but he has a smart phone which needs specific signal while I am on a dumb phone. I get better signal than him.

I like things with keyboards and hate ones that are only touch screen. Which means, soon enough, I'll be screwed :D
Old Posted 02-17-2014, 04:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #3  
I didn't think I would like the touch screen at all - but I'm finding it's actually working for me. I was very surprised that I actually like it now.

I thought it was the signal with my oldie phone, and when I want to the providers store they said I could buy a signal booster for the house, which is where I got the worst signal, For a little over $200 bucks.

Hellz to the no!

Thank goodness I am not having that problem now. Same provider different phones, same place. I don't know.
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-17-2014, 05:06 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
This is what I have right now. No texting, no games, just 700 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends and mobile to mobile. I had to give up my Motorola Razor for it... It died from a short in the charger input port... I had no way to charge it. Now, this phone is acting up (I can only talk for roughly 7 minute intervals with it "fully charged" before it dies on me, unless it's plugged in).

I have however dealt with smart phones, and I have to say my favorite is the Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4g Touch. This is also the phone I want, and I'm waiting for my hubby to upgrade so I can theifs it from him for myself. Ouo

Also, the two battery idea is great. I've known several people who do that, and they've found it to be a life saver, especially when travelling long distances with no access to a charger. *nod nod*
World's worst for poofing during a conversation. Sorry.
Old Posted 02-17-2014, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #5  
That is what I was thinking for my upcoming trip. *nod nod*
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-18-2014, 02:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Re: 7-minute battery life: Replace the battery; it's dead. It may have reached the end of its useful charge cycles, or it may have taken thermal damage. (Overheating can kill a battery's ability to hold a charge.)

Re: Reception: The newer phone uses a different technology for its transceiver. It runs on a different frequency band using a better data encoding scheme. It may also support MULTIPLE frequency bands. What this boils down to is that it supports a wider variety of cell signals, and it's smarter about using it. This means you can use more towers and make better use of a signal even when it's weaker.

I can handle a touch-screen keyboard but I prefer hardware. It's bloody HARD to find smartphones with hardware keyboards anymore.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-18-2014, 04:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #7  
Am I allowed to say intelligence is smexy!?! Thanks Coda!

Now I just have to figure out international calling on my phone! <3 Also - I think I am going to buy another battery. Plane travel for 18+ hours...
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-18-2014, 06:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Heh, that's not intelligence, just trivia. I happen to have dealt with this kind of stuff in the past, so I happen to know some facts about it, but that's not related to intelligence. ^^()

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-18-2014, 08:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #9  
It is to me! That is awesome. ;)

Plus Jeopardy?! :D
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 01:11 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
@Coda: Yeah..... I know I need to get a new battery (it's not the first time this has happened with this phone), we just don't have the money right now. My aunt's husband is supposed to be loaning me a phone until I can get a legitimate replacement. Thanks for the info, though. Didn't really think about batteries having useful charge cycles... And the most likely culprit IS overheating. It used to get really hot while it was charging, and while my grandmother (who I got it from) and I were talking on it.
World's worst for poofing during a conversation. Sorry.
Old Posted 02-19-2014, 08:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #11  
I wonder if I should be charging my phone in a more directly ventilated area.
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It can't hurt. A smartphone IS a computer, with all the best-care practices that entails.

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #13  
I knew it! Cool places it is. <3
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 09:47 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3, but I'm a boring old fart so the only apps I have are productivity ones, like Evernote, calendar, shopping list, and scriptures. :d My husband is the one who likes having games on his phone.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #15  
I have... a few productive apps. Calender is a must. I have to write everything down. Alarm. Weather. Calculator. And a learning Japanese app. The rest are GAMES! *woo hoo*
Trading Hot Jackie

Old Posted 02-19-2014, 11:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Ginny's got a Galaxy S4; I've got a T-Mobile MyTouch Q (which is a Huawei device). We both have a few games; I also have remote administration tools so I can fix stuff when I don't have my laptop.

Old Posted 02-20-2014, 12:50 AM Reply With Quote