Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Problem to the Solution
Default   #17  
I cannot tell you how many nightmares The Ghost and the Darkness gave me as a child. It inspired a fear that made me refuse to go to the zoo, and refusal to leave the house when a lion escaped from a private zoo.

Also the inspiration for a certain someone. Definitely deserves a spot here.
Old Posted 03-10-2014, 10:37 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I had already been traumatized by Jaws before I saw TGatD, so it didn't get to me as much as it could have. Jaws is a good flick, too. Not sure how many times I've seen it now.

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

It's also the source of the "bad hat, Harry" line that happens at the end of some TV cartoon. Can't remember which one.
Old Posted 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #19  
16. Persona

I've stated before that my tastes tend to gravitate towards the pretentious, and this film is certainly no exception to that; it's certainly not for everyone, but I highly recommend it to anyone who will listen. This film is slow and methodical, wildly open to interpretation, and viscerally emotional. The narrative itself is secondary -- in that way, it's almost a deconstructivist film, relying upon visual poetry and powerful emotion more than a straight-forward, dramatic narrative.

In essence, the structure of the film follows a nurse, Alma, who has been charged with the care of a mute actress named Elisabeth. Throughout the film, Alma continues to talk to Elisabeth -- who does not reciprocate -- eventually revealing deeply held secrets, profoundly existential quandaries, hopes, fears... and finds that her own persona is being swallowed by the mute Elisabeth.

Extraordinarily good. And just because I feel like my description does absolutely no justice to the film itself, here's an excerpt of the dialogue in it (coming from a doctor caring for Elisabeth):

"I understand, all right. The hopeless dream of being -- not seeming, but being. At every waking moment, alert. The gulf between what you are with others and what you are alone. The vertigo and the constant hunger to be exposed, to be seen through, perhaps even wiped out. Every inflection and every gesture a lie, every smile a grimace. Suicide? No, too vulgar. But you can refuse to move -- refuse to talk, so that you don't have to lie. You can shut yourself in. Then you needn't play any parts or make wrong gestures. Or so you thought. But reality is diabolical. Your hiding place isn't watertight -- life trickles in from the outside, and you're forced to react. No one asks if it is true or false, if you're genuine or just a sham. Such things matter only in the theatre, and hardly there, either. I understand why you don't speak, why you don't move, why you've created a part for yourself out of apathy. I understand. I admire. You should go on with this part until it is played out, until it loses interest for you. Then you can leave it, just as you've left your other parts one by one."

Actually, having recommended this film, I would highly recommend just about anything else directed by Ingmar Bergman -- certainly one of my favorite directors of all time.
All generalizations are false, including this one.

Old Posted 03-12-2014, 03:05 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've heard a lot about Bergman, but I'm not sure I've actually seen any of his films, except for selections from Wild Strawberries and Fanny and Alexander in Swedish Class. Not really sure of my thoughts on the guy.

I like the variety of movies that are showing up on this list. I have a couple more thoughts that I'm sure I'll get to at some point when I decide which to go with.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 03-13-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old Posted 03-13-2014, 12:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #21  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
I've heard a lot about Bergman, but I'm not sure I've actually seen any of his films, except for selections from Wild Strawberries and Fanny and Alexander in Swedish Class.
Persona is an entirely different kind of film from Bergman. Both of those are much more approachable, particularly Fanny and Alexander. Originally, I was actually going to recommend The Seventh Seal, which is also one of my favorite films, but at some point I decided that Persona is really the one that I would call a "must-see."

The Seventh Seal is really wonderful though, so I'd say you probably should see it sometime. (To summarize it in a sentence, a knight returning from the Crusades meets Death along the way home -- and challenges it to a game of chess with his life as the wager. Philosophy ensues. I lied, that was two sentences.)
All generalizations are false, including this one.

Old Posted 03-13-2014, 02:26 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
17. Monty Python's The Meaning of Life - 1997

If you've seen Monty Python anything I imagine you'd know what to expect. That, I would say, and then some. A mixture of skit-comedy that follows the themes of birth, age, and death. It gets a little weird. It's hard to describe really, but it's the source of several house-hold (my household) expressions.

It...gets a little weird. Looking for fish, galloping nude women, songs about sperm... yeah. Watch it at least once.
Old Posted 02-17-2015, 03:36 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #23  
Origin Spirits of the past2006

Why:

it's surrely beautiful, set in the future where Elders can become "enhanced". it's own description is "Ghost in the Shell for an environmental age".

the blurb on the back of the dvd reads:

Ages past, the forest was awakened and the moon unleased a ravenous beast upon the Earth. Man cowered in fear...

it has been 300 years since mankind's interference with the environment left Earth in ruins. Now, the remnants of humanity are divided as never before. The crumbling remains of vast city's stand in tenuous coexistence with the encroaching forest, and humans live on both sides of this brewing conflict. Young Agito, the son of an aging hero, inadvertently sets in motion a series of catastrophic events hen he wanders into a forbidden zone of the forest. He stumbles across a cryogenic stasis tube containing Toola, a girl who has a vital mission entrusted to her from the past...

It is an unsteady peace in an unnatural time. Only by searching their souls and examining the past will Agito and Toola understand the origin of all things and unite mankind with the forest.

I've watched this contless times its just pure beauty inplaces really enjoyable as well.
Last edited by Karastorm; 02-18-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old Posted 02-18-2015, 11:36 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Rise! Thread updated and continued!

What? I like these threads.

19: Pacific Rim! (2013)

(I added the exclamation point myself)

Because it's so darn fun! I'm sure there are complains about plot, and character, or lack thereof, or plausibility, of why we would bother with giant robots to fight aliens as a first line of defense, but ultimately giant robots > story issues, +1 for the dog.

If you don't mind spoilers, go check out the Honest Trailer for it on Youtube.
Old Posted 10-14-2015, 01:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #25  
20. Let the Right One In (Original version)
While it's a horror movie nothing is really scary about the film. The book is pretty out there sometimes but the movie really captured the parts that mattered. When I first saw this movie I just fell in love with it, it really sticks to a lot of traditional vampire theories and has tons of things to look for and spend your time thinking about. If you can stand the sight of a little bit of blood without too much gore, if you like coming of age stories, or if you're into vampires, you should really give this one a chance!

Old Posted 10-18-2015, 02:26 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Did I get the right one, Glitch? I'm not sure if it's the 2008 one of if there was a Swedish one before that.
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Default   #27  
That's it ^_^ Someone remade it in English with the title Let Me In, but that one is terrible.

Old Posted 10-19-2015, 02:13 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Yeah, that was the one made in the States I think, and from what I heard they made it more genre or more like a horror instead of the more quirky sort of deal that the book had. I didn't read it, but heard of it in one of my Swedish classes. I think the 2008 one was a US release of the Swedish film.
Old Posted 10-19-2015, 02:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #29  
21. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

This movie is HYSTERICAL. I can't get too much into it, because that would spoil the entire movie, but Cary Grant was phenomenal in it, and the story was originally a play. It's a black and white movie, but that does not detract from it in the least. When I first saw it, with a group of friends (some of whom, like me, had not seen it before) there were several of us falling off of our seats as we laughed.

Like pretty much every film of the era, its humor is funny without even giving grossness or inappropriate humor a look. It's one I'd recommend for families with kids at least 9-10 years in age. Any younger and they might need a lot of explaining of things... But it's not got any stuff that would cause bad dreams later that night, nor cause awkward discussions after.

Also, there's a reference to a certain famous horror actor of the era right in the story, and said actor almost took the role, but was unable to due to scheduling conflicts between filming and the stage play, which was still running at the time of filming.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
The name sounds very familiar, though I'm not sure where I've heard it most. I think I thought it was a book.
Old Posted 10-20-2015, 12:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #31  
Just FYI, most of the movies I'm gonna contribute are ones I've watched with a group of friends who meet weekly just to watch movies... one of those friends has a taste for older movies, and we usually end up watching two movies that fit a "theme" at his place... We've seen some pretty obscure stuff as a result. :)
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 10-20-2015, 08:06 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
As long as you figure it' work watching, it's not a problem.
Old Posted 10-21-2015, 02:48 PM Reply With Quote