Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default NaNoWriMo!   #1  
I'm sticking this here for now until I find a better place to move it to.

Anyway. It is November now, and that means it is National Novel Writing Month!

Every year, I keep telling myself that I am going to writer, and then I never get to actually doing it. I will usually try to prepare myself by writing up things about my characters and plot points before November, and then either forget to write or hit Writer's Block.

So some topics of discussion for you. How do you get over Writer's Block? Will you be writing this month? What kind of story will you be writing? Any messages you wish to convey in your writing? What are your characters like?

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

♔ Trisphee's one and only Vampire Prince ♔
Currently working on "Dream World Is Mine" art.
Let me catch you in my Dark Void...

Old Posted 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Uh... better place to move it to would probably be The Writer's Diary.

On topic:

If I participate in NaNoWriMo at all this year, it'll have to be a late start. It really sucks.

For some reason, though, schoolwork is just piled on this semester and I have zero free time.

Last edited by johnny; 11-02-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old Posted 11-02-2010, 11:18 AM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
Default   #3  
See, I didn't put it here because in Zy's stickied topic it said that only portfolios went here.

Mystic Menagerie (Temp Art) | The Alchemist's Den | The Alchemist's Desire | IRL Commissions

Old Posted 11-02-2010, 12:30 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
It must've changed since you looked at it last.

now it's just "for the writers of Trisphee".

There's no mention of portfolios. It's just general writing discussion.

I do think that it's less than "discussion friendly", though. Same goes for the art section. The forums still need some perfecting.

Old Posted 11-02-2010, 01:48 PM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #5  
I have been looking forward to November for a while, but I don't think I planned enough for it. xD I'm excited it's here but now I'm not sure I'll do it. One month? I can barely get a short story done in 3 weeks! xD I'm a huge procrastinator. Plus, I don't know much about NaNoWriMo so...yeah. Maybe that's an excuse but there's always next year. :3
Old Posted 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Magic
Ooh, I'm doing a NaNoWriMo. x3
Old Posted 11-06-2010, 12:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #7  
...well crap I forgot nanowrimo is done in November. I might've gotten an email reminder but didn't see it. When it comes to completing or even sticking with it I fail as well. It's just too intimidating and I get critical of myself. Combine that with the fact that I am naturally indecisive, like many people.

Old Posted 11-30-2010, 10:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Light of Aurora
I have finished mine 28th..it was hell to write those 50k

I am the Spring Pandora Ranger
Old Posted 11-30-2010, 11:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Banned
Default   #9  
I know it's a bit late but a buddy and me cowrote a novel that is long enough to qualify and possibly publish
Old Posted 12-05-2010, 01:06 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
xD I don't think you're supposed to co-write for NaNo, but good luck. ^^

Old Posted 12-06-2010, 10:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Banned
Default   #11  
Oops... If it helps we have twice as much as each individual is supposed to have XD
Old Posted 12-06-2010, 11:55 AM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
haha I suppose so! xD

Old Posted 12-06-2010, 03:36 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #13  
Never tried NaNoWriMo and I doubt I ever will. I've tried writing novels before and usually fail epicly. I suppose I could give it a shot if only to see how far I get when I have a deadline in front of me. Writer's block is something that gets to me too and curiously, deadlines can seem to help. I'm the sort of individual that can work on a piece for years and never be really satisfied with it. Among the pieces I'm most happy with of my own work are the ones I wrote over a matter of a couple days (plus edits) and usually to a deadline.

I know my friend does it nearly every year and manages it too, I'm pretty sure, but he's the opposite style of writer from me. I have a hard time writing much over 1000 words and he has a hard time keeping anything under ten thousand. It's something we poke fun at each other for all the time.

On the writers' block thing, thinking about it there are many things that I do to try to get over it, but it's rare that they actually work. Really, the most effective thing for me is just to sit and wait, even though this tends to result in my writing very little over very long periods of time.

...and I must now wonder if long hair is something of a requirement for alchemists, as my two boys both have it too. ;) (Though that probably doesn't mean much coming from me.)
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 05-04-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old Posted 05-04-2011, 04:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused
I've attempted this before, but the most I can get done in a day is like 600 words :c
I'm determined to do it this year though, I just need a subject.
Old Posted 05-04-2011, 08:41 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #15  
I think if I start now, I might actually come up with a topic for this years project. I don't think I'll formally apply or anything, but it might be a fun challenge for myself to try and keep up.

If there are any regulars around here, how far ahead of November do people start planning? Or is the idea that one starts as soon as the first rolls around and then powers through the whole process?

If a few people where to try, it might be fun to keep an update journal or something to see how others are doing.
Old Posted 05-04-2011, 10:52 PM Reply With Quote  
♔ Vampire Prince ♔
I'm going to try my best to do it this year. I've been kinda putting a story together for years. I have lots of details for it written down in multiple notebooks, but never got a chance to actually sit down and start writing it.

Old Posted 05-08-2011, 01:26 PM Reply With Quote