Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dragon Storm
Default Good Singleplayer RPG Games   #1  
So, there has been some talk about games in the Library, and I have been in a conundrum about finding a good current RPG game myself, so...shall we talk about the RPG games, good and ill?

(Been thinking about Dragon Age: Inquisition, myself...)

Anywho, let's chat away!
Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Old Posted 11-24-2014, 10:15 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Inquisition looks WAY good. I'm looking into that one myself. The only reason I didn't finish Origins was because my save file was on my husband's computer and I was too lazy to transfer it. >.>

If you're into retro JRPGs, Skyborn is a really cool current take on the genre. It's got magic and steampunk elements and I'm really loving the plot. I got it on sale on Steam for $5, but it's normally $15.
Screenshots & info: http://store.steampowered.com/app/278460/

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 11-25-2014, 01:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #3  
I'll have to look into those. :)

I am somewhat reluctant due to the price tag and EA's Origin. Also, I've seen people complain that it is too much like DA:2, or too much like the massive MMORPG worlds in that there are several quests that feel pointless and that the extra space on the map does not translate to a fleshed out land - just more time wasted between parts of the story.
__

__

Old Posted 11-25-2014, 09:13 AM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
I know, I would much rather get it on Steam. :( I tried seeing if GameStop sold PC games anymore so I could get around using Origin, but no such luck.

I could see the extra map space feeling like wasted time, yeah. It's a hard balance to strike between having an exciting open-world game, and having the world be a little bit TOO open...

I heard that the people who complain about "boring quests" are not even leaving the beginning town, and that the devs posted on twitter something to the effect of, "Hey guys, don't forget to go explore the rest of the world! You can always go back and complete everything later!" - I totally get the "complete everything before moving on" sentiment because I missed a character in the first game and then the town was overrun and I could never go back and get her. But if this game doesn't do any of that, then there's no reason to do all the boring early quests.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
Default   #5  
I'm playing Inquisition now, and if I could call out of work for a month just to play that non-stop, I seriously would. People say origins is better, but I didn't have a good time starting my origins character (the Harrowing was quite confusing for a first play through!), so I prefer Inquisition.

Plus, Bioware really knows how to write REAL characters. I could sit there forever and talk to my bf Dorian and THE Iron Bull. I really care about these characters.

I cannot recommend this game enough if you like Dragon Age, Bioware, or just well-written characters.

/fanboy

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Trisphee Site Rules | Sei's Hideout
Old Posted 11-29-2014, 12:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Speaking of which (sorry for stealing the thread, Law), I, uh, happen to have a $20 Steam card and DA:O Ult Ed is 75% off. Should I grab that, or wait for more games?

Aaaaalso, Witcher 2 is a mere $3.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 11-29-2014, 07:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #7  
I really liked Dragon Age: Origins. It is one of the most in-depth RPG's I've played. Ultimate Edition gives you a sociopathic Baraka (A Golem), adds a good backtracking quest (You have a reason, the story is further developed, etc), adds a quest fleshing out the Grey Wardens, and includes multiple after-and-before the events in the game (Awakening being a big one - you experience the events that led to one of your characters being there, the effects of your actions, the conclusion of a romance, etc).

As a side note: if you do purchase DA: O Ult. Ed. and want better skin models (or to play as a Woodelf/Dalish mage, there are mods on Nexus for that)

It was like Neverwinter Nights 2, only more realistic/detailed...if it had a toolset to create new worlds/characters, it would be my favorite game. As it is, it comes in as my second favorite.
__

__

Last edited by Lawtan; 11-30-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old Posted 11-30-2014, 07:34 PM Reply With Quote