Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default   #113  
Shouldn't be too bad. Roguelikes aren't especially difficult in terms of actual game mechanics. The hard part is in things like level construction and game balance and such.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-06-2018, 12:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
yeah.

then you have those synergies which will probably crash the game if abused enough, so i'm gonna have to test that out and probably implement some pickup-destroying systems if there's too many on-screen.

also, depending on whether the engine allows someone to save data, i could probably make an animal crossing rip-off game in that.
Last edited by Stabbsworth; 12-07-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old Posted 12-07-2018, 03:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #115  
I dunno, you'd be pretty hard-pressed to blow this engine up from too many objects as long as they're passive (that is, they're flagged as "these things don't interact with anything, but they can be interacted with") and set as triggers (that is, they're flagged as "these things don't use high-resolution collision detection with other objects, they just react when something overlaps them").

Check out how fast this runs: http://xmpps.greenmaw.com:8880/~coda...es=300&count=1

You can change the "sprites" value in the URL if you want to try stressing it harder. On my laptop here I can still get 60fps with 1000 sprites. And keep in mind that's while animating them moving around and interacting with each other. If they're spread out so they're not interacting with as many other objects, that's lighter. If they're not moving at all, it's pretty close to free. (Tip: Animate bouncing items by changing the rendering, not by moving the object itself.)

The engine itself doesn't provide any tools for saving data, but you can send a request to a server to save data in the cloud or you can use HTML5 localStorage to save data locally. That's how I'm tracking your high score in Golden Lord.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-07-2018, 07:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
aye, but on lower systems, they'd probably end up accidentally overheating something, and i'd much rather not have that.

hilariously enough, if you have millions of pickups on-screen in TBOI:Rebirth, the game doesn't crash. the only real way to crash the game is to use the Emperor card in the void, and that's in AB+.
Old Posted 12-08-2018, 09:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #117  
Ludum Dare 44: "Your life is currency"

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/44/watt-balance/

Watt Balance

On a lonely, desolate planet, one lone rover sets out to restore power to what’s left of the world’s technological society. Only scavengers remain.

Starting on the surface, you can climb the mountains or descend into the caverns towards the core. There are seven ancient power stations, broken down and in need of repair. You can also find power cells cached in the caves of the planet. Finding these places comes at a cost: The civilization traded energy as a form of money, and opening the caches and repairing the power stations will cost you.

You have a power collector that you can use to recharge from ambient energy when you are idle. It can charge using sunlight on the surface, but as you descend into the depths of the planet this light cannot reach you. Underground, repaired power stations can fill your batteries within a certain range.

This was a ridiculously ambitious project and I definitely didn't get as much of it done as I wanted. The current version doesn't even have an ending -- you just hit full completion and it keeps going. I intend to do something about that with a post-jam build.

This is a HUGE world with a lot of exploration. I was going for a Metroid vibe and while I'm not sure I completely captured it I think I did pretty well considering I checked in the ability to heal yourself with 45 seconds left on the clock.

Old Posted 04-30-2019, 09:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
sounds very interesting, the concept seems solid enough to implement into a full game tbh!
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #119  
Funny thing, I actually mentioned you by name in Coda’s original LD thread from a couple months back, but i think you happened to be on a short hiatus.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 07-20-2019, 04:34 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Random game: just for fun

http://greenmaw.com/webgames/nonogram/

Nonograms

In the style of games like Picross, solve pixel puzzles using the numbers at the edge of the grid as hints.

Choose between Free and Life modes: Free mode lets you try things as you see fit, but gives you no additional hints. Life mode lets you know when you mark a square that shouldn't be marked, but you can only make a certain number of mistakes before it's game over.

Choose your difficulty: You can play any board size. 15x15 is the traditional starting point but you can go as high as you like. In Life mode, you can also choose how many lives you have.

Choose your puzzle: Let the game choose a random seed, or share seeds with other people to try out the same puzzles they played.

Supports mouse and touchscreen controls, so it's playable on desktop and mobile.

Discussion thread: https://www.trisphee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23772

Old Posted 08-15-2019, 11:24 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #121  
Another random game, just for fun:

http://greenmaw.com/webgames/jigsawmino/

Jigsawmino

Place pieces on the board to clear complete lines or columns. Clearing multiple lines/columns at once is worth bonus points. The game ends when you are unable to make a move.

Supports both mouse and touchscreen controls.

Old Posted 11-25-2019, 12:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
very nice! would it be possible to get keyboard controls?

Old Posted 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #123  
Huh. Maybe. Hadn't thought about it but it should be possible.

Old Posted 11-25-2019, 12:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Oh, goodness, not only did I not post my game for Ludum Dare 49 yet, I completely forgot to post my submission for Ludum Dare 47!

(I didn't participate in Ludum Dare 48 because a lot of stuff was going on around that time, and my parents wanted to meet up with my family for my birthday, which was the same weekend. Overall, I think this was the right choice in the end.)

Skyloop

The theme of LD47 was "stuck in a loop," and my game was Skyloop. It's a game. *shrug* I think it fit the theme pretty well, but it's not all that compelling. I think I did a decent job with the music, though, but engine noise kinda covers it up.

Overclocked

I'm far more pleased with my LD49 submission: https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/49/overclocked

The theme was "unstable." I instantly got the idea of an overheating, glitchy computer. And I am SUPER happy with a lot of the effects.

The sprites are just okay. I know I'm not the greatest artist, but I came up with something that works well enough, at least. But the effects came out wonderfully. The NES-style tile glitching, the matrix rain, the video snow and CRT power-off, the DOS visual style... It's a little bit sad to me how many people won't get the DOS references, though.

I'm also pretty happy with the music! I would really like to get some better music software, but given the retro styling of the game I think the old-fashioned MIDI sound works out.

And the gameplay is pretty solid, although it's also really difficult. I feel like the play control is pretty responsive (except when the game gets laggy from too many visual effects) but the difficulty curve needs some tuning -- if you try to take things too fast it gets too hard too quickly. The puzzles are also really challenging; I even put a cheat code ("plugh") in to let people play the rest of the game without getting stuck if they can't figure out the strategies.

So yeah, I'm happy with how this all turned out, especially since it's a game jam and I made everything in 72 hours!

Old Posted 10-08-2021, 12:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #125  
enjoyed skyloop quite a bit, though that's because i play a lot of srb2kart. and i do mean a lot.

Old Posted 02-24-2022, 03:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I forced a bot to read thousands of words from reports about sleep, caffeine, and cognitive function and then asked it to do my homework. This is what happened.

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/...hter-simulator

Old Posted 04-21-2022, 09:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #127  
Ludum Dare 51: Every Ten Seconds

Starshock!

In an unstable solar system, the star releases a shock every ten seconds! Hide behind the asteroids to avoid destruction while fighting back against the enemy swarm trying to keep you from escaping!

Use the mouse to control your ship. Click the left mouse button to shoot.

Extra life at 5000 points. Additional extra lives every additional 10000 points.

When the screen turns red and the alarm sounds, hide in the shadows of the asteroids to avoid being destroyed by the star shock.

https://ldjam.com/events/ludum-dare/51/starshock

Old Posted 10-03-2022, 08:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
Hi Coda, I appreciate this thread. Thank you for sharing.
Old Posted 10-13-2022, 03:02 AM Reply With Quote