Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Blue Fish
Default   #17  
Um, Peeps. Peeps by... Scott Westerfield? I think that was the author. It was great, though I hear the sequel... not so much.

Um... Sookie Stackhouse? /shot
I love the series to death, though.

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 01:38 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
HoN Is hardcore mainstream. xD;

People usually go straight from Twilight, to HoN.

Vampire Academy, by Richelle Mead is good too! But.. its young adult.
Mama bat to a beautiful baby bat <3
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 02:04 AM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Default   #19  
HoN wasn't bad until whatever came before "burned" when I think another writer came into the picture cause the style got switched all up in certain chapters and I simply CAN'T read it. Or the voice changed up, whatever. I can't read it.

'Tis a picture of Tokyo I took. ^^
I'm a girl.
I love Writing Tools, and KPop, and minty stuffs.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 02:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
They co-authored it. P.C. & Kristen Caste wrote the books together.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #21  
Yup, Gallows is right. xD; Sometimes one of the authors takes over more of the story than the other, and so it sounds... weird.

I stopped reading at the 5th book. Because Zoey started pissing me off. I'll finish the series eventually, though. Since I had this OCD complex of finishing everything I start.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 09:19 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
I manage to look past all the bad bits somehow, in that series at least. I think it's because i find the plot interesting in a way, especially Kalona.

P.C. Caste wrote the Goddess Summoning series on alone, i think they're better for it; less confusing.
Old Posted 05-19-2011, 12:47 PM Reply With Quote  
~!Halloween Queen!~
Default   #23  
I haven't read her Goddess series, I've been wanting to, though.

I just have SO much catch up to play with the other series I'm reading, I just.. could never find the time. xD;
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 01:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
I own Goddess of Spring, they're good. steamy though, so if you blush easily it's probably best to read 'em alone ;) Good though, i like the twist on old myths. I'm after the others, particularly Goddess of the Rose
Old Posted 05-20-2011, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Mythological-Valkyric-Queen of Ace
Default   #25  
I absolutely adore Anne Rice's novels, she is brilliant. I also read some of Patricia Briggs novels, but in her novel, that I read, there are werewolves included and sort of take the main role. But other then that her "Mercy Thompson" series is wonderful, knowing that your interested in vampire novels :D

I am the Typhoon Knight of Chaos
I am the Mythological-Valkyric-Queen of Ace

Announcement// Stay tuned for an up-coming art shop of mines during the summer. A preview will my provided in my signature.
Quest Log// Coming soon...
Current funding's// 623 Aurum
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 11:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
I love Anne Rice too, own the first four of the Vampire Chronicals, but do not get me started on the film version of Queen of the Damned, i'll go into full-on-rant-mode :D

Oddly, i prefer the film-version of Interview with the Vampire instead of the book. Odd.
Where there's a Witch, There's a Way ;)
Old Posted 05-22-2011, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
Default   #27  
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupcakeDolly View Post
Vampire books are a dime a dozen nowadays. I was a vampire buff before the Twilight revolution as well. Ah, the good old days when the undead kicked ass and didn't sparkle like fairies... Which, incidentally, are next on the list of mythical creatures to be raped by literature.

I've gone away from vampires now. They're just not the same anymore. You have to look back toward the Anne Rice days to find anything worthwhile. I was a fan of the Cirque du Freak series by Darren Shan though, if you're fine with teen books. Also the Peeps series by Scott Westerfeld. Both have a new, interesting take on vampires.
amen to that but sorry cant help you
Old Posted 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
CHEEZBURGER?!
I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. It is a different take on the cliche vampire and I really enjoy her character development and storyline. I like how she mixes mythology (especially Greek mythology) and the legend of vampires together so smoothly. This series is not exactly about traditional take on vampires, but more of a one surrounded by the God Apollo. I am not going into too much detail but you can easily find her work in any book store and also, she has her own convention. Yep.... She is that popular.

I have no idea why I skipped over you mentioned her work lol... My next suggestion will be Christine Feehan. Her work is unique and I like her style. I have not read much, but what I have read is amazing.

"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

-Pablo Picasso
Last edited by SanguaLuna; 05-25-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old Posted 05-25-2011, 11:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #29  
I'll look into that, thanks. Oh, and another slightly steamy series to pick up is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series. It's not just vampires, it's all sorts of creatures, like Valkyries and Sorcerii and Demons and Werewolves . . . and Witches, of course ;)

Very good series, my fave so far is Kiss of a Demon King, which has only got small appearances from the vamps and is centering more around the sorcerii and demons.
Old Posted 05-26-2011, 05:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Celestial Princess
The house of night and the Vampire Academy series I both started, and liked, somewhat. I do agree with you tender about the cultish feel, but it gets better...ish. There's also the Vladamir Todd Books my little brother reads, and I saw a book called iDracula... Didn't get to check it out though...
I amGREED, Fall before me!
Old Posted 05-26-2011, 11:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Mercury Poisoning!
Default   #31  
I found a version by someone called Bekka Black; basic story of that one is two rebellious teens find themselves in over their heads when the boyfriend of one of the girls returns from vacation in Romania gravely ill and craving blood. It's a modernisation of Bram Stoker's novel written in cell form.

I might check it out to give a glance over, not sure about the cell-novel format though . . .
Old Posted 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
It's not quite a "vampire" book in the standard sense, but Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian is a fairly interesting thriller that explores a lot of the origins of vampire mythology.

The plot follows a girl searching for her vanished father, and much of the story is told in flashbacks through letters he sends her. She travels the world, unearthing mysteries about the life of Count Vlad Tepes (the Impaler), trailed by members of a vampire cult (who may or may not actually be real vampires).

It's a strange book, but she apparently spent ten years researching it, and it doesn't pander much to the cliches of the vampire genre. I'd say it's worth a read if you're interested in vampire lore (which I'm not, not really, but I still enjoyed it.)
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
novels, recommend, recommendation, vampire