Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Posty McPostsALot
Default Writing - Read and share your opinions.   #1  

After some long procrastination I decided to write the first chapter of my story that takes place during a zombie apocalypse. It isn't finished yet. I decided to take the second chapter and put it in with the first... but then decided the ending of it was too weak and I want to re-do it. I was hoping to get some opinions. I can take criticism. Don't sugar-coat anything, I can handle it. I would prefer to know how to improve it then rather be lied to that it's perfectly fine. If you see any spelling mistakes, etc. Point them out, please. Also if you have any suggestions as to what could happen next, suggest them! I'm a little stumped right now. - shot -

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-27-2011, 10:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I can read this for you and give feedback -- just not tonight, I have a horrible headache.

I appreciate you putting that disclaimer in, though. I actually wouldn't have volunteered, otherwise. I don't like wasting time reading over something if the person is just going to ignore my comments. I also like knowing which elements you'd like specific feedback on, so you're two-for-two. :)

I'll likely be able to get to it tomorrow.
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 07-27-2011, 10:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #3  

Anything, if you think something can be improved or needs to be fixed up or if you think that something is weak, then tell me. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings or anything. I'm a writer. I have to get my work approved somehow, it's going to be looked at eventually.
I'm not going to ignore your comments. The only reason I won't post is because it would be a triple post or because I'm not online.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I think you misunderstood what I said, I was complaining about what I see people normally do when making threads for their writing on sites. Your opening post was very clear and got my attention.

I'm going to take a look now. :)

Edit: Actually, before I get going, I need to know if this is polished up or just a draft. I tend to want to point out every little grammar tic, but if you already know they need fixing, I won't waste both of our time.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 04:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #5  

Oh! I see! Thank you!

I've had it looked at by a few friends and on another site. This is my most recent version.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
So... do you want me to point out spelling/grammar mistakes, or not?
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #7  

Oh, sorry.
Yes, go for it.
I don't mind anything. Do your thing!~

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Okay, I will get started then. :)
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #9  

Thank you so much!

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Okay, first off (I'm going to do this in installments, since it's a bit lengthy) let's talk about showing vs. telling.

What you're doing here in the beginning is exposition. Listing off facts and information to the reader. It comes off as dull, the way it's written, because it isn't conveyed in a dynamic way. You're just catching the reader up on what's going on, at the expense of action (in the general sense, not in the explosion sense. :p)

Imagine this, instead: You skip the info-dump to begin with, and you follow Kimberly's actions. You let the audience learn about the world she exists in as her senses experience it. That way, they both get into the character's perspective, and get important info in slow drips, rather than being force-fed it all at once.

On a similar note, don't write like you're talking to the reader. It looks clumsy. Try to make the story immersive, focus what the character is experiencing, and just show that to the audience. Trust them to figure it out, as long you describe it well enough. This will have the effect of speeding up the pacing of your story and help keep people interested.

Other than that, what I notice mechanics-wise so far is that you're usage of commas is kind of all over the place. You don't use them when you should sometimes, and in other places, you have them where they don't belong. I find the best way to deal with commas if you're having trouble is to read your work aloud, making sure to pause appropriately wherever there's a comma, and if it doesn't sound right, delete it. Likewise, if a sentence seems like it needs to be broken up, put in a comma to separate the clauses.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #11  

So! I should perhaps skip the whole flashback/dream about what had happened to her? Allow the story to go on and during the entire story the readers find out more about her instead of finding out all about it at once? Should I perhaps keep the whole hint that something horrible has happened to her, but not reveal it? I think that would make someone want to read more to find out, right?
Thank you for the information.
I'm going to fix it up a bit then, the whole comma situation. No one has told me that yet and I really appreciate it. I never knew. Sometimes I do get worried that a sentence can be too long or short... so I get a bit mixed up!

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Yes, that sounds like it would make for a much more dynamic and engaging opening to the story. It's always best to keep readers guessing early on, to spark their interest, but it's also a fine line. You don't want to leave them bewildered. It should be a gradual unfolding of detail, though, not all at once.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 06:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #13  

Alright, should I do the same for Andrew?
I can just remove those parts and write more to fill the emptiness that they will make. I can even just put those parts to the side and use them elsewhere.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 06:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I need to read more, I'll get back to you.

Sorry, doing a few things at once here.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot
Default   #15  

That's perfectly fine!
Take your time, there is absolutely no rush.
Thank you for reading what you have so far!

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 06:12 PM Reply With Quote  
Posty McPostsALot

I can make this entire part:

Apart of another chapter. - nods -
Further in the book.

call me grem
they/them
Old Posted 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM Reply With Quote