Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Zombie Platypus
Default Any Magic The Gathering Players Here?   #1  
I've been playing MtG since 2013, and my husband since around 2000. In fact, he's the one that taught my entire friend group how to play, and now we have our own little kitchen table group.

So I was wondering; does anyone here like to play Magic? And if so, what formats? When did you start? Paper or online?

For me, my favorite formats are limited and Commander, and I only play paper.
"I am in the midst of a love-hate relationship with all of humanity"
Old Posted 07-16-2016, 07:44 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I have been playing since about 08 =D
I play preferably with cards but I don't like tournaments
I also play a bit of it on my xbox XD
Don't now about formats that was never explained to me when I was playing with people XD not a lot of friendly players up here XD

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 07-16-2016, 01:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
Default   #3  
Formats are pretty simple to understand, in all honesty.

-First you have Standard, which is a constantly rotating format where only the newest cards in print are played.
-Then you have Modern, where you can play anything printed from Eighth Edition and forward.
-After that is Legacy, which allows cards from all over Magic's history, save for some limitations
-And then Vintage, which allows everything legally playable, pretty much. And the limitations of Legacy are instead restricted to only being allowed to have one.
Those are the BIG competitive constructed (meaning you build your deck before you go to the event) formats.

Then there is Limited, where you get packs of cards and build a deck right then and there to play against others and their just-built decks.

And then there are the more Casual constructed formats. My personal favorie is commander. 100-card singleton deck (only one of each card except for basic lands), with one card helming it as the "Commander". The color identity of the commander determines the color of the rest of the deck. For example, if you use Brago, King Eternal, then your deck can only have blue and white spells in it. There is WAY more to it, but that's a basic description.
Old Posted 07-16-2016, 04:10 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
AHHH
so Technically I would play legacy style XD
My decks are usually about 45/50 cards in length, no more then 60 though.
-will have more to say after work but am in a rush XD-

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 07-16-2016, 04:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
I started playing in the mid-90s; I can't be sure of the exact year anymore. I remember after I'd been playing for a couple years seeing Portal coming out and being utterly confused by it. ("What is this game that's claiming to be Magic but totally screwed up?")

That said, I never played all that seriously and never collected. The decks I have are... honestly possibly worth quite a bit nowadays because of how many old cards are in them -- at least one Serra Angel from Unlimited, for example. They don't have anything newer than about Weatherlight in them. But they're constructed out of cards given to me as gifts from friends.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-16-2016, 07:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
@SparX-Technically legacy, yes. But that's highly, HIGHLY competitive. Both of us most likely play anything goes kitchen table magic.

@Coda: Oooh! I would love to see decklists!
Old Posted 07-16-2016, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
My decks are currently packed up in a storage unit. :(

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 07-17-2016, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I've played on and off since Ice Age. I've largely gotten ought of the game now and got rid of the bulk of my collection save for my Ice Age block stuff (with Coldsnap), sentimental and all, and my decks. I have an album of a few select cards but I largely don't play much, except online with friends the odd time.

When I was most active I would play T2 or limited drafts at my local game store. Now I play EDH when friends badger me into it.
Old Posted 07-17-2016, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
Default   #9  
Ooooh! As I basically said, EDH is my preferred format! What General do you run?

Here's my current favorite deck to play.
Old Posted 07-17-2016, 08:30 AM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
I had to look it up because my stuff is also packed away
but I had a lot of blue/white, blue/black and black/white decks I based off my High end eldrazi(sp?) monsters.

Have Au and some Runes

Old Posted 07-17-2016, 12:47 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keylaleigh View Post
Ooooh! As I basically said, EDH is my preferred format! What General do you run?

Here's my current favorite deck to play.
I've heard of that site but never actually looked at it. Looks nifty. :)

I've yet to actually make a deck myself. I used Mirror Mastery with Riku as a start just so I could play, and asked a friend if he would mind tweaking it for me. I currently have Riku and Sakashima, though I haven't tested the Sakashima one yet.

The decks I kept are mostly for casual play. One mono-white Time Spiral era, Black/Red rats, Green/white life gain, Blue/Red Coldsnap era. I had a Blue/Black milling deck with Tzadek but it was a pain to get him on the field and the deck was adequate but not great. I was playing T2 mostly around Ravnica and Time Spiral, got out of the game when Lorwyn came around.

My casual decks are all paper, but I play commander with friends who are across the continent so it's online now, for me.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 07-17-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old Posted 07-17-2016, 03:24 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
If you get table top simulator through steam you can play magic with people on the computer. You can get the mod for it for free, and last I checked it had all the new card sets too. :3

Old Posted 08-01-2016, 11:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Lazy
Default   #13  
Magic is really confusing. I only played it once with my roommate and her friend. The first time I won because I had no idea what I was doing. Not a bad game. It's very strategic and challenging. I am a bad gamer at these games, I always lose haha.
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 01:30 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
I played Yugioh before Magic, and I'm going to say this now, Magic is easier. =.=; And easier to read. =.=; The text would get so tiny that on certain cards a good number of people would probably have to use magnifying glasses to read it.

Last edited by ml1201; 01-07-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 06:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Default   #15  
Magic is no more confusing than any rpg video game.

Also, planning on going to pre-release weekend -is excite-
Old Posted 01-07-2017, 06:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
I would say that confusing isn't the right word to use.

It's certainly COMPLEX. But the rules that build up that complexity are all generally pretty straightforward. Once you understand the fundamental game mechanics, you can figure out what 95%+ of things do, and it's only some obscure interactions that get confusing.

It's also very STRATEGIC. Deckbuilding is, to be honest, hard. It's easy to build a playable deck, but building one that won't get its butt kicked by a competitive deck is hard. And it can certainly feel confusing to find yourself without any options because your opponent seems to have an answer to everything.

Old Posted 01-08-2017, 12:44 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
cards, game, magic