Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Icy Footed
Red face "Graduating" this week   #1  
Sooo, I'll be graduating from my community college on Thursday evening this week. >->; I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, since my degrees are for transfer, and it's not like I rushed through school either...I'll be going to a university in the fall, with an associate's transfer degree in general education and theatre arts. Aaaand rehearsal for graduation is tomorrow. .~.; I'm nervous a bit.

Also, didn't really want to walk at all, >~>; since ceremonies are super boring to me and it always feels unnecessary in the first place, so I had my degree mailed to me. I actually felt more accomplished shaking my mailman's hand as he handed the sealed envelope to me. <x} Hehe.

But, yeh, anyway... >.> I'll be saying goodbye to my community college. I can't say I'll miss it, but I made a lot of memories there.
I'll likely be pretty busy afterwards celebrating too. >->; But I sorta feel like it's nothing to celebrate. That's not how I'm supposed to feel, right? So, should I just relax? :/

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 05-20-2019, 11:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Honestly, that's not really that unusual. Especially since this is just a transfer degree, you aren't really looking at any major life changes -- you're still going to be going to school.

I didn't really celebrate when I got my bachelor's degree. It was actually kinda somber, because it meant leaving behind all of my friends and starting into having to be an adult with a full-time day job.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-21-2019, 01:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #3  
<u<; actually sort of hoping to have the ceremony be super short...and that I won't be recognizing any other graduates hopefully either. 8[ yeek, that'd be so weird! Especially since I never really let anyone know me long enough, ^~^; I'm just that lurker student, y'know? ;u; If I made friends they were semester temporary. Eheh. That might change at my new school, but, :/ eh, who knows?

How long did getting your Bachelor's take Coda? :[

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 05-21-2019, 01:27 AM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
"Yay! Good job!" Derpy waddles over and hugs your ankle.
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 05-21-2019, 03:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #5  
I got my bachelor's 4.5 years after leaving high school. The extra semester is because my advisor screwed up my schedule my sophomore year because it turned out I COULDN'T take certain classes at the same time, so the prerequisites forced me into taking an additional term.

My college career got screwed up in other ways, too. I could have minored in Japanese, except the ONLY professor for the history and culture class went on sabbatical my senior year, so I ended up being ONE CLASS SHORT. :/ And I was GOING to do an honors thesis, had a project all lined up and everything, but then my honors advisor dropped the ball and never followed up on getting the project approved -- of course, in the end that didn't matter anyway because my GPA was 0.02 points short of being eligible for graduating with honors. x.x

I also had a ton of transfer credits coming in from high school because of AP exams, but some of them turned out to have been a waste of money -- some of them didn't count towards my degree program because my high school skimped out and didn't teach the calculus version of AP Physics.

EDIT: ... I can't believe that my 20-year high school reunion is coming up next year.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-21-2019, 09:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixels
Good job on getting your associates!!

Old Posted 05-21-2019, 12:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #7  
:3 Aww, thanks Derpy. *pats his head* Thank you too Glitch. :]
Though it's been uh, about 7 years. >->; and I'm barely getting my AA. I'm not slow or anything, I just insist on taking my time. Though failing like 3 of my math classes really killed me. <:{ But not as much as Statistics killed my love for anything math related. o-o...I still get flashbacks. *shiver shiver* Math was always a big struggle for me. ;-;

@ Coda: Wow! o.o Despite a ton of screw ups, all not on your end of things, you still got a bachelors! :] I hope to get mine within hopefully 4 years too, if not sooner. >~>; But I'm kind of flighty, and I've changed my major several times already. Still, I enjoy learning about tons of different things that interest me. :] My brother is taking Japanese along with his GF. ^-^ He wants to go back to Japan one day.

Old Posted 05-21-2019, 06:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I could never handle statistics well. Calculus, yes. Differential equations, that stuff is fine. Stats? Nope.

I'll probably be finishing up my BA in a couple more years, which makes it... uh, shit, seven years, not including the two where I was either suspended or booted out.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-22-2019, 04:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #9  
I failed out of differential equations and had to retake it, and even then I barely squeaked by. Taking a long time to get a degree says more about mental health circumstances than anything related to ability.

Statistics isn't hard in terms of the actual mathematics involved. The problem is that doing statistics right involves a lot of nitpicky stuff, because there are so many tools available and understanding the right one to use in a given situation takes experience that many professors aren't particularly good at transferring. (High school teachers get certified on their teaching skill. College professors are more focused on depth of knowledge, not their ability to educate effectively. It's a rather irritating problem.)

Old Posted 05-22-2019, 10:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
;n; huhh I kinda noticed that when I took Stats and how different it was with the teacher I had in Pre-stats. It was a bad time, but I'm glad it's over. 8( I had a tutor get me through Statistics and he did a way better job helping me understand and complete work than the school tutors ever did! I probably couldn't have passed without him, as I got a solid C in that class.

@ Espy: ^~^; I flunked out of my first university before community college..it was sorta my fault tho, as I took way too many classes than I was able to handle. >.> but man, it sucks more that not only to dorm there as costly, but I lost all dining privileges after my GPA dipped for failing 2 classes. TnT It was good food too..*sadness frown of sadness mourning great food eating for months..* So I opted to be dropped and leave the beautiful/creepy campus, and come back home for school. :[ Which was easier but, less..nice.

And now I'm graduating tomorrow.. <x{
It's so nerve-wracking! I've been waking up every morning since Monday with a huge black pit in my stomach and bad feelings of anxiety. ;~; I don't know why places with tons of people watching me make me so nervous...I'm a theatre student dammit! I also think it's supposed to rain again, so...there's that. <x'} Really don't wanna walk tho. I always hated graduation days.. :c *hugs tummy*

Old Posted 05-22-2019, 02:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #11  
So I've always said (ever since I got a 3 on the AP Stats exam...) that my brain doesn't work in Stats even though it works well in calc, and... honestly, now that you mention it, I think I was actually right -- ADHD has a love-hate relationship with details, but the details in stats are just... really tedious and boring to my particular brand of ADHD. And so I just... don't.

Yeah, basically the same here. First semester went poorly, and I landed myself on probation; got suspended for a year after four semesters, came back, tried for two more years, got the boot, spent half a year trying to find another college that would accept me, and just finished my third semester here. Been a ride.

...You lost *dining* privileges? What the fuck?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-23-2019, 04:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Well, because I was paying to be living on campus, the food was free 24/7 at the student café which was like a much nicer cafeteria, with a student stamp on the id card saying I could eat there for free. If my GPA dipped low, which it did, I'd have my stamp revoked and I'd have to pay for my meal every day, so...yehh.. :{ Dining privileges...but at least laundry was free..wait, no, I had to reload the laundry carddddd..ugh..>~>; Now that I think about it, I needed money for nearly everything..except transportation. >.> We had a shuttle for the campus, but it was actually a lot faster to just book it on foot to your class. xD
Ahh college. :] It's fun except when it's not.

Graduation is today. And I've decided to just be "whatever" about it, just to keep my anxiety in check and not panic about anything. =_= So...yeah, *shrug* whatever..

Old Posted 05-23-2019, 11:48 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #13  
My grad for my diploma is in the first week of June. Likewise, I'm not that keen on it but I'm going anyway so that my relatives can come if they would like. I'm more annoyed that the ceremony is on top of the monthly meeting of the library friends charity I'm with.

I went to my convocation for my BA and it was nice to walk around the campus after and see all the students in grad caps and gowns and such, and I snagged a free scarf.

At high school, my dad actually asked if I cared if he was there because he was of the opinion that high school wasn't much of an achievement. I told him that he didn't have to go on the condition that I didn't have to go either.

You don't really need to fuss much about the ceremony. I imagine the bulk of the audience is looking at the crowd for their relevant people so all eyes will likely not be on you.
Old Posted 05-24-2019, 05:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
I just had the ceremony yesterday evening and it was kind of a pain to get through, but overall it went well. :/ just took forever because it was so many students.
I'm glad though that my family had more fun than I did tho. >.>
And I got to eat at BJ's after so, :/ that was nice..
and now I have my two AA degrees for transfer. Yaaay me. -u- *wiggles arms*

Old Posted 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #15  
BJ’s Brewhouse? That place is great.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-26-2019, 12:16 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
:D Yes it is innit? ^-^ I like their spaghetti. And salmon. :] ...and the lil' sliders. x} Now that I think about it, things that begin with S.. o-o huh!

Old Posted 05-26-2019, 05:53 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
graduation, in crisis mode, irl, life stuff, uhhhh