Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #305  
Can you just change your password or something and lock them out? :c

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:16 AM  
Wanderer
They'd know. I told my dad yesterday night, after a lecture and while being very, very stressed, that I'm tired of his perpetual trying to control everything I do and watch/monitor me. I'm an adult, for fuck's sake, and while I still think like a kid at times, I want to live college my own way. What, does he intend on worry about what I feed my family in twenty years?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:18 AM  
Default   #307  
So? What are they gonna do if you lock them out?
FERPA laws state once you get into college and/or you turn 18, your parents have no right to see your grades. You, however, have a legal right to keep them confidential. Exercise them rights!

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:28 AM  
Dragon of Ice
I'm with Lucid on this one.

I will play devil's advocate for a bit though....if they are paying for your college, they still don't have a right to see your grades, but it is a courtesy.
I'm only a man with a candle to guide me
I'm taking a stand to escape what's inside me
A monster, a monster

Den of Two Dragons

The Bunker

Feel free to stop by and post!

I've turned into a monster
A monster, a monster
And it keeps getting stronger
Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:32 AM  
Wanderer
Default   #309  
....Yes, technically, but I would be in pretty deep shit if I just locked them out. Asian parents and all...I can't believe I'm saying that, but it's so true.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:38 AM  
It's ALIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid: View Post
So? What are they gonna do if you lock them out?
FERPA laws state once you get into college and/or you turn 18, your parents have no right to see your grades. You, however, have a legal right to keep them confidential. Exercise them rights!
^This.

I think your parents are just way too...clingy. The way they're hanging on your shoulders is counter-productive. You seriously don't need the added stress on there. Doing homework is stress enough in itself. ....Mmm...maybe try to negotiate something that is acceptable for both you and them. Have them back off with the neck breathing, but still give them status updates like once every few months or so.

Eck...Asian parents.

~an item brewery - updated 12/02~
Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:43 AM  
Wanderer
Default   #311  
Eh, my dad pulled the "I'm paying for your college" deal yesterday, and I pulled the "Fine, I'll pay you back after college when I get a job".

...CMU's tuition is not going to be easy to pay back. But (as I'd hung up on my mom earlier after a really quick I'm-tired-I-don't-want-to-talk-about-this-I'm-going-to-sleep-good-night), I had to text him and explain that I do not need people trying to carve a path out for me.

I just want to do what I want to do. If that involves loosening up on my grades, then so be it. I want to get more involved on the campus, and not just be holed up in my room (like I often am; engineering students do that a lot) doing work.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:50 AM  
Switch your major to Theatre Arts or something. >:U

But seriously, you need to work something out where they're not so obsessed with your grades. It's not helping you. If they understand that your grades will most likely improve when they stop stressing you out about them, they might back off just a little.

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:56 AM  
Wanderer
Default   #313  
Their thoughts on this is basically "I let you go for a month, and this shit happens?!"

...Anyways. Tired. Not getting anything done, so I will head off and worry about miscellaneous crap later.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:57 AM  
Yeah. Goodnight Espy.
If you can't work something out, lock them out anyway. They'll be mad as heck at first but they'll have to get used to it. Worst-case scenario: Student loans.

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 02:00 AM  
Lynx Rufus
Default   #315  
Actually if you become an independent (meaning you pay for your own schooling and get no support money wise from your parents) You will get a worse rate on student loans (private) But will get more financial aid in the long run because you will become an instate student and get more grants from the government because you are bettering yourself.
Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM  
To be independent as far as college finances go, you have to be over 25, married, or emancipated. My parents never paid a dime for my schooling, but I still had to provide their financial information until I got married. Once I did, though, we got enough federal grant money to completely cover tuition.

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM  
Don't Poke The Tiger!
Default   #317  
*feels guilty for being on here in a while*

But wowzers! Some amazing DIs this month!! :D

Good job to everyone who had a hand in creating them!! :]

I'm blunt and direct.
I like to lurk and observe.
Old Posted 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM  
Lynx Rufus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid: View Post
To be independent as far as college finances go, you have to be over 25, married, or emancipated. My parents never paid a dime for my schooling, but I still had to provide their financial information until I got married. Once I did, though, we got enough federal grant money to completely cover tuition.
Not true in the state of NC. It is a bit of paperwork with the school but you just have to prove that you don't get aid from your parents. Namely by paying your own cellphone bill, car insurance, and housing bills. It also helps if you live over 200 miles away from said parents place of residence. One of my coworkers is 20 and has all ways had independent funding because she was cut off from her parents at 18.
Old Posted 10-03-2012, 07:44 PM  
Default   #319  
Huh, that's really interesting. I didn't know about that.

Old Posted 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM  
A*DIC*TED
The items this month are lovely!
ಠ_ಠ
Old Posted 10-05-2012, 06:05 AM