Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dreamer
Default Best Softwares?   #1  
I am currently downloading something called GIMP.
http://www.gimp.org/
Is this a pretty good software for drawing?
Are there better ones out there for beginners?

If there is a thread like this, I never saw it, sorry if there is.
:D
Old Posted 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM Reply With Quote  
It's ALIVE
Gimp is the poor man's version of Photoshop. While it doesn't have as many features as Photoshop does, it does have all the things for basic artwork with a bunch of extras. I wouldn't recommend it for beginners, but for people who are aspiring to migrate into Photoshop or are looking for a program that is similar to Photoshop, Gimp is what you're after.

OpenCanvas used to be one of the easier ones, but they did some updates in there that made it less convenient. If you can find the older versions, it will work excellent for basic artwork and is excellent for beginners.

PaintTool Sai is also one that is easy for beginner's. It's also used heavily by professionals in the illustration industry overseas. It gives you most of the basics without being overwhelming like Photoshop or Gimp. However, I've only used this for doing line-art as the lines appear cleaner and less shaky than with all the other programs I've used. I have used Photoshop for coloring since Photoshop has more coloring options in one package. Migrating an image to Gimp might also be good.

There's also a more basic version of Photoshop online: http://pixlr.com/editor/ . It works straight from your browser. I think is probably the easiest out of everything above, but I don't know how reliable it is or what the performance is like when the image gets to be large.

~an item brewery - updated 12/02~
Old Posted 12-06-2012, 11:25 PM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
Default   #3  
I really like PaintTool Sai for drawing and Photoshop. I find them both easy to use. I actually found GIMP to be far more complicated than Photoshop, probably because I taught myself Photoshop and there were more tutorials readily available.

For drawing, I do recommend Sai, though. For simplicity and because it really does have everything you need. It is fabulous really for drawing, imho.
Old Posted 12-09-2012, 12:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
I use Autodesk, i think it's great
Old Posted 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #5  
Depending on what you're using to draw with I really wouldn't recommend using GIMP. I don't know if it's been updated to accommodate tablets or not but in my past experience in the digital art world it's lacked the pressure sensitivity required for smooth lines and gradients.

If you can get your hands on a free cope (non-trial) version of SAI, do it. It is a very straight forward program and it's works with most tablets.
x
x
x
Old Posted 03-11-2013, 02:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Here are the ones I've used:

Photoshop -- Great for coloring, contrast/balance changes, shading, and quick backgrounds. Not so good with tablet lineart.

SAI -- Really good for lineart, and has handy Flip and Rotate Canvas functions that make it easy to handle. It's also good at dumping colors (paintbucket tool), and you only have to go back and fill in occasional corners if you do it right. I'm still learning to shade, though. Can be...quite different from PS and Gimp.

Gimp -- I haven't dabbled much in Gimp, but then again, I didn't really know how to use art programs at the time. It wasn't as smooth as SAI, though...

Autodesk Sketchbook -- Not too many people use this one. It can be hard to handle at first, especially when, as a "sketching" program, it doesn't do too well in terms of solid colors. Neither does it have a good shading system, or dodge, burn, etc. but then again, I don't have the Pro version. It IS very nice for simple, quick doodles, though.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 03-11-2013, 09:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
Default   #7  
ahahah. Nobody likes GIMP.

Except for me. I find it pretty easy to use, once you take a little bit of time to acquaint yourself with it. And the features that GIMP has are pretty flexible.

I've never had any issues with pressure sensitivity... before the update. I still have older GIMP versions saved on my computer when I need it. It is pretty similar to PS, I agree.

SAI is occasionally frustratingly limited, but it's the perfect beginner and painter's tool. Gorgeous lines and brushes that make GIMP look pretty bad, ahah.

But GIMP is still nice, nonetheless.

FireAlpaca is another free program that is fairly similar to SAI, but with slightly more features. You could call it a blend of lightweight PS and SAI. I've only dabbled in it briefly, but it could be worth trying.
Old Posted 03-15-2013, 01:06 AM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
MyPaint (http://mypaint.intilinux.com/) is also a good free alternative of Paint Tool Sai.
While, it doesn't have the image sizing like Sai does. It has a wider variety of brushes and works in the same way as SAI does.
Old Posted 03-16-2013, 12:19 PM Reply With Quote