Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Dragon of Ice
Default Tired, but can't sleep   #1  
Just as the title of the thread would suggest, I am tired but can't sleep at all. Well, not quite so tired any more. Will be less so after I drink a Monster here in a few hours to hold me over until I get a chance to nap.

Not sure why this is; well, not entirely at least. The part I do know is more personal and will be resolved once she and I are closer and not dealing with external stress outside the norm.

Not looking for a shrink or analysis, just if anyone has any tips for dozing off when you find yourself to be restless or if anyone has a similar experience which they wanted to share.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 05:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Poconut Overlord
If focusing your thoughts on mundane things like breathing, the feel of the world around you, or counting doesn't help...have you tried calm or just music that normally bores you? When I'm desperate sleeping pills work to get me some semblance of sleep. It usually isn't so restful but I'm getting something.

You can also try sleeping in a different room. I notice I sleep fast in other people's homes than I do my room. Unfortunately in my house there's no where quiet to sleep except my room.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #3  
It's sleep in my room or on the couch, and the couch can be accessed by dogs who love to lick.....not that I have a problem with that when I'm not sleeping, but don't like to be woken up by it.

I ended up falling asleep not too long after I posted being the irony. Just was a matter of getting warmer. Had to throw in an extra blanket. Didn't notice a difference, but apparently it made one.

And I sleep better when I am with someone, specifically my girlfriend. Don't ask why, just do.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 01:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Probably because I am your personal heater... *kisses cheek* You get me all next semester sweetie.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 03:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Default   #5  
*chuckles and kisses Tiva* That I do, and that you are. Although I think it's just knowing you are there and being able to feel that that helps a lot.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 03:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Neko-chan Nya Nya~
Doing something to distract your mind helps. Like, say, counting sheep. The idea is just to quiet your mind to let your body fall asleep. Doesn't always work but it's something to try.

If sleeping with someone else helps, maybe you can try sleeping with a pillow or something? That's something that helped me a lot.

♥ Never be afraid to be yourself ♥

Want to see my art or webcomic?
Serra's Art Gallery

A Neko's Quest | My Closet
Kitsune's Haven

Image courtesty
of tsukiko
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 10:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #7  
this might sound hippy dippy to some but you can try
(a) warm milk - NOT tea, it usually has caffeine
(b) meditating
(c) not eating
before you sleep. Avoid really high-tension things, like movies that excite you, arguing, extensive exercise, or playing exciting games like Halo or skyrim or whatever you may play. I know I freak out at my pokemon games and if i play them right before bed i'm not getting to sleep any time soon.
sleeping in a different bed, room or position may help. consider if the sheets or the pillow is what's keeping you up. Are you comfortable in your bed?
also think about what kind of lighting situation you have going on in your room when you go to bed. I know I can't sleep without some sort of light. stupid as it sounds, total darkness tends to wake me up.
bitches please
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
@Serra: tried that, but it's more the warmth of the other person and knowing they are there. Especially when it's the one person who I enjoy spending simple time with.

@Daring: meditation works, just most of the time it takes a matter of me laying or sitting still long enough.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far. I am listening, and going to try being better about sleep in general.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 10:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #9  
If it keeps up you might want to seek professional/experienced help, as i don't know the first thing about this kind of rubbish
keep up the meditation but also try to find other ways to help. maybe soothing music? enya, yanni and native american music helps me a lot.
bitches please
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 10:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Dragon of Ice
Hmmm....soothing music has helped in the past. It is generally more my sleep schedule is crap right now.
Old Posted 12-26-2011, 11:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Is Legen...Wait for it...Dary
Default   #11  
My solution to me not being able to sleep is warmth... i always wear a hoodie if its hot or cold and i easily fall asleep bc im warm... Idk why but it just works for me... Also Nyquil would work too... but i only use it if im sick...
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:20 AM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
I can really only sleep if there is a lot of weight on me...I literally normally sleep with 5 blankets on me at all times...it's just the weight of the blankets, I guess it makes me feel secure or something...Also I can't sleep unless I'm cuddling something...so I sleep with a teddy bear most of the time...

Sign My Siggy!!!...I Dare You!...PS...Luffles to all who do!!!

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
-this is my signature- <3 Lacry
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:38 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali_Namir View Post
I can really only sleep if there is a lot of weight on me...I literally normally sleep with 5 blankets on me at all times...it's just the weight of the blankets, I guess it makes me feel secure or something...Also I can't sleep unless I'm cuddling something...so I sleep with a teddy bear most of the time...
or taking a nap on me... which is perfectly fine...
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Naps on you are fun...cause then I wake up to see you!...

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Default   #15  
Aww... Thanks hun...

Maybe cut down on that sugar intake and you might be able to sleep...
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Cutting down on sugar helps...but also having a small amount of carbs will also help with getting sleepy...

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 12-27-2011, 12:51 AM Reply With Quote