Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pattern Recognizer
Default Terrible job lead   #1  
The career development department at my school, which tries to find jobs for students (but does not guarantee), sent me a lead. Yay.

Unfortunately, it is for a low-paid, low education, entry-level position that I did years ago, and through a temp agency. The expensive schooling that I just finished is supposed to get us way, way past that. There are a few other important reasons why applying to this position would be a bad idea - but I won't put them up unless asked.

I feel pretty bad about this -- after all, you're never, NEVER supposed to turn down a job lead -- but it would be a giant step backwards even if I did get it.

I have no question here...other than worrying that it looks like I am full of foolish pride, and on whether one should ignore one's gut feelings about a bad idea.
Trisphite Map

Last edited by Vox; 02-16-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old Posted 02-16-2011, 06:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Super Artist
My sister is in the same situation as you are, I know what you mean. She did university (she's actually a 'doctor') yet she does something a just-finished-high-schooler would be able to do. And she's really upset because of that! No wonder @_@

Our schools don't find jobs for you tho. It's your own responsebility. They don't do it because many people continue learning, or go travel. Most of them. So they don't bother.

Old Posted 02-16-2011, 06:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Lost in the forest
Default   #3  
Damn, that sucks. But at least your school has that. Mine is supposed to, but they've never sent me anything or had any appointment or discussion with me. I don't even know where they're located and I've looked into it. (You'd have to know my school, nothing is listed and when you finally do find the right office they give you the runaround to five other offices which will in turn do the same thing...)

I had a fairly large print shop job as a designer for two years, but that was only after I asked a friend where she was working and we both had to go find that job by ourselves. And not only was no experience or job training or college degree required, they didn't even ask about it.

(I know it's our own responsibility to find a job, but when a school "guarantees" that you'll have job finding services, and that's one of their selling points at the orientation and school hunting, it's kind of wrong to barely have career services, or to basically have it be non-existent.)
/ Questing /
Insane Clutterbug & Creepy Lurker
Last edited by Bonnie; 02-16-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old Posted 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie View Post
(I know it's our own responsibility to find a job, but when a school "guarantees" that you'll have job finding services, and that's one of their selling points at the orientation and school hunting, it's kind of wrong to barely have career services, or to basically have it be non-existent.)
You get the bureaucratic runaround at school? That's terrible! Force them into answers if/when you have to. :(
Yes, I'm glad they gave me a lead, no matter how slight. I don't mind that -- I just don't want them to take my refusal the wrong way. I'm not stuck-up or a worthless bum. I live on my own and am responsible for paying my own bills. I can't afford to take a minimum-wage job, especially not for experience I already have.

@Silverbleed: I feel for your sister. What's the point of a fancy education, if you're doing something that any kid could do?

The school I'm at is pretty much a trade school, although it touts itself as a college. It's somewhere people go after university, or after they've been in the workforce for a while.
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 02-16-2011, 07:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Default   #5  
Wow...I need to stay OFF Facebook. My former classmates are bragging about this and that gig that they got...gigs that are in our field. I'm glad for them, but it's not something I enjoy reading atm.

EDIT: But, it's inspirational in an irritating kind of way...plus, the ones who did get gigs, were actively looking for them for months, and I've just started.
Trisphite Map

Last edited by Vox; 02-17-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old Posted 02-17-2011, 06:39 PM Reply With Quote  
The Illusionist
Well here's a tip for you. YOU SHOULD NEVER, NEVVERRR. Ask your university for anything for a job that you are studying in. You must look for a job on your own.
Start looking, it's going to be a pain but once you find a job you won't regret it. Move out of state if you have too.

Old Posted 02-17-2011, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Red-aholic
Default   #7  
Illusion, why would you turn down help from Career Services? The Career Services department at my university isn't that great either, but if they found an opening for a job I qualified for, I'd at least look into it. Yes, job-hunting will take a lot of personal work as well, but... Turning down free help is counterproductive, IMO xD

Vox, that stinks that the job they showed you was something far below what you're qualified to do. Try and inform them that they found a job you're overqualified for so that maybe they won't make the same mistake with you or with others in the future. Be proactive in calling them and asking if they've found anything new for you lately/sent your resume out. And as others have said, do some job-hunting of your own. This is all advice I've been getting at school lately--I'm going to be job-searching when I graduate in a little over four months, and they're giving us advice about stuff like this.

I hope that you can find a job in your field that you enjoy soon. ^^

This Sushi has been Fen-Bitten
Old Posted 02-18-2011, 02:07 AM Reply With Quote  
Super Artist
Sakura, better already start right now. IF you have found a job, it might take a few months before you can start working. 4 months might be a little too early, but 2 months is absolutely not too early. I'd recommend to work well on your CV and get things like a haircut and good clothes. It's stupid little stuff, but helps a ton.

I also figured it's better to call instead of e-mail. It's more personal. Going there in person to ask for a job might be a bit too personal xD
Many of my friends have e-mailed and wondered why they never got an answer. It's so easy to leave an e-mail unanswered. But a call is much harder to ignore xD

Old Posted 02-18-2011, 06:28 AM Reply With Quote