Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Pattern Recognizer
Default Trying to catch up with an old friend, at a loss...   #1  
I'm so confused, I'm turning to the internet for advice.

I found him on Facebook and contacted him...but now I don't know what to say. He's found his life partner already: everyone around him suspected it, when we were growing up. Naturally, that doesn't mean we can't be friends. My family moved away from the town I grew up in, so haven't seen him in years.

And it was really my older sister that he was close to, not me. I wanted to get to know him better, but I was never part of their fashion-loving, Madonna-listening crowd (ok, now it's Katy Perry/Lady Gaga but w/e). I was a sci-fi and comic book reading nerd and the Miss America pageants never held my attention, so I was an outsider that tagged along.

What do I say?

Standard: "Hi, I'm fine, how are you?"

User: "Hey, I'm in need of a job, can you be a reference even though we don't know each other any more?"

Too Much:" I always thought you were really talented, I miss you and regret we weren't closer?"
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 02-07-2011, 01:32 AM Reply With Quote  
Snap!
I would go with the standard way about it. If he's found his life partner, I wouldn't try to convince him otherwise. It's just one of those things that needs to be respected. I think it would be alright to let him know that you once had feelings for him and go about it that way, and to just remain friends.

What is this person's name?
« ☼ ☾ ✰ »

Semi-Active.
Old Posted 02-07-2011, 01:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Default   #3  
His name is not important. :) Why do you ask? Do you think you might know who it is?

I definitely wasn't considering convincing him away from his life partner, hence calling him "life partner" and not "current boyfriend." ;) I would like to build a friend-relationship, not an Eros-based one. If I settled down with him...ha...no. It wouldn't work. I knew this even at 5 years old.
Trisphite Map

Old Posted 02-07-2011, 02:49 AM Reply With Quote  
In the Box
Maybe start with the actual interest of catching up? Like... "Hey! Haven't seen you in a long time, how have you been?"

Or something along the lines... if I was genuinely interested in an old friend and I found 'em, I'd probably do something like that. I think if he has a life partner or not, that fact isn't very relevant. After all, you're just wanting to be friends.

Long, long hiatus.
Old Posted 02-07-2011, 10:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Self-proclaimed Non-Conversationalist
Default   #5  
I agree with Mica in this case.

Frequently I've found people on Facebook that I haven't talked to since Primary School (elementary for the americanos)... I'd simply send them a message saying something like, "Hey! Remember me? I totally stalked you back in the day!" XDDD

But that's just me and my personality. What works for me, probably might get someone else stoned to death >.>

But that standard sound pretty good.. You can get into details on why you want to be friends after so long later... it's not that important at the moment

Lucid loves Duchess and takes her signature virginity. <3
Ashy refuses to share Duchess with anyone D:<

Duchess is idol TRASH
Feel free to bully me about it

Old Posted 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM Reply With Quote