Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

It's ALIVE
Default How to deal with the IRS (and jury duty)   #1  
First and foremost my employers last year did my tax forms wrong and never took enough out of our paychecks so my husband and I owe somewhere around 3k.
Yesterday we got a letter from the IRS (sent to him) that if we don't pay $1,648.75 by AUGUST 25 (because 12 days is enough time to get 1.5k up) they have intent to seize (ours, his?) property or rights to property (including state tax refunds).
What do I even do?
How do I even adult?
How did they manage to screw up so badly and why won't anyone tell me how to fix this?
The last person who helped us do our taxes told us to send it in without a payment in the first place, which I wanted to do but they said it would come out worse for me in the long run but now I am not so sure.

Also the day before that I got a summons for Jury Duty.
I can't sit for that long, and my BC pills have made me have to go bathroom at least one every hour and a half min.
Not to mention with the IRS down my neck I can't really take a week off work to get payed $10 a day when I make more then that in an hour.
How do I even reply? What do I even do?
HOW DO I ADULT.

Thank you ahead of time for your thoughts >.>
I'm kinda frazzled mentally atm.

{MyAnimeList}{My MAL Graph!}{Read manga? Come here!}

Currently Questing For: Lil Spoops,Puppet Master, Toamna lantern, Cyber Reaper,Braen's Jacket
Have Au and some Runes
Buy runes from me! PM for details!

Old Posted 08-13-2016, 10:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
I am not sure on the best course about the IRS, but for Jury Duty, the letter usually has a thing to fill out and send back to skip it this time. Clearly not a good time for you to have it, so it shouldn't be an issue at all. (But expect a new summons in a few months.)
Old Posted 08-13-2016, 10:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Dragon Storm
Default   #3  
Honestly, the best thing to do is contact the IRS. You can probably set up a payment plan to get this resolved. According to both my mother and grandmother, the biggest mistake with the IRS is being too scared of them to try to work with them.

I could ask my mother. She's been working a year with H&R Block, so she may know some stuff. (Though she may be too overloaded to respond this weekend)

Lawtan: A chaotic dragoness with issues.
__

��s ofer�ode, �isses sw� m�g.

__

Science, horror, folklore, and cuteness incoming!
Last edited by Lawtan; 08-13-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old Posted 08-13-2016, 01:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The IRS does payment plans. I was in a similar situation several years ago and they're actually pretty easy to work with to get that spread out over a year or two. The main point they want is to make sure you fix the forms so it doesn't happen again.

As for jury duty... It varies by state (maybe even by county) but you should be able to get your duty deferred to a time that's less of a problem for you, and if it's a severe economic hardship you might even be able to get it waived.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 08-13-2016, 02:46 PM Reply With Quote  
-
Default   #5  
I've never had to serve jury duty before. But I think you may be able to get a waiver due to financial hardship.

As for the IRS, I have the same problem too. I always just put 1 on my W-4 Form, so they never take enough money out of my paycheck. So we always owe the IRS money at the end of the year. The only difference is that we know that we owe the government the money.

We think of it as the government giving us a tax-free loan vs. us giving the government a tax-free loan.
.___.
Buying: NATM
Questing: Event Items 13/19
Miniature Fairy Wings, Immortal Worlds, Eye Sore Current Funds:0 Au.
Updated: 12/16/16 08:55 PM
Old Posted 08-13-2016, 02:50 PM Reply With Quote  

Tags
adulthood, irs, jury duty