Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Developer
Default You know you're a parent when...   #1  
Today is my son's 14th birthday. That feels a lot weirder than my own 39th birthday a couple weeks ago.

Time gets weird as you get older.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-14-2021, 09:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Time really *does* get weird.

For instance, how is it already been two weeks since that was posted? Like, wtf, time?

Happy belated birthday to you both.
Old Posted 05-27-2021, 10:23 AM Reply With Quote  
On in to the future
Default   #3  
Oh god, 14. I'm barely handling 6, 8 and almost 11. I don't feel old when I think about my age (32), but when I think about how old my kids are, it blows my mind that so much time has just flown right by. How are they not the little adorable blobs that just came home from the hospital yesterday??? ono
World's worst for poofing during a conversation. Sorry.
Old Posted 05-27-2021, 01:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's not the number 39 that bothers me so much. It's that I'm the second-oldest person in my peer group. The senior services engineer at work is actually quite a bit older than me (I think he's in his 60s?) but the company CTO was only 23 when he hired me!

And then to make things worse, I got a really early start in life. You're 32? That means I've been programming since before you were born. I built my first website when you were your youngest child's age.

Stuff I took for granted as part of the history of my profession? People I work with have never heard of it. ("What's Netscape?")

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-28-2021, 11:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #5  
They haven't heard of Netscape? Good lord.

I remember using Netscape in middle school...although I admit I didn't really do the programming thing until much later. A bit of website editing back then, though.
Old Posted 05-28-2021, 02:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
It seems like our generation is now being called geriatric millennials.

I remember using Netscape. Wasn't there an easter egg involving the logo?
Old Posted 05-28-2021, 02:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #7  
Dunno on that one. I remember you could click the ! on Yahoo! and it would go "ya-hooo-ooo", though.
Old Posted 05-28-2021, 05:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Well... happy birthday. I don't have children, so I can't say I know how that feels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
the galla beast does not create the words that are posted in official capacity. the galla beast merely summons the proper incantations from the void and shares them with the world.
Old Posted 05-30-2021, 06:26 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
Dunno on that one. I remember you could click the ! on Yahoo! and it would go "ya-hooo-ooo", though.
...Wait does it not do that anymore? I haven’t used Yahoo in eons.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-30-2021, 02:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
I...kind of remember that. Fun fact. I met the man who won the contest yahoo held to become the official yahoo yodel (Wylie Gustafson). Many times. His brother taught me algebra in high school.
Old Posted 05-30-2021, 03:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #11  
It does not. Just went and checked because I was curious. I had half expected it to still look like the early 2000s, honestly. Manages to look more generic, anyway.

That's neat that you've met the guy. :D
Old Posted 05-30-2021, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I mean...he's kind of a local celebrity, I don't imagine many people outside of Montana know of Wiley and the Wild West Band, and grew up in the same small town I did (and went to high school with my mom and her brothers) so...not too suprising that I've met him tbh. But is probably my closest thing to a "celebrity encounter". Lol.
Old Posted 05-30-2021, 05:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biomecha View Post
It seems like our generation is now being called geriatric millennials.
Meh. Meh, I say! I'm the tail end of Generation X, not an old millennial. I'm culturally a lot closer to the Space Race than to social media.

Old Posted 06-08-2021, 07:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Old man Coda here, shaking his cane. :P
Old Posted 06-09-2021, 11:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #15  
Coda's only four years older than me. I remember Netscape, I remember using a rotary phone at my grandparent's house (We now have said phone here in the basement, and I fully intend to take it with me when I move), I remember playing in the creek during the summer, and coming home once the sun started to set and the fireflies came out. I have scars from crashing my bike on a gravel driveway, and from just being a 90s kid.

On the flipside, I don't feel like I'm gonna be 35 this September, mentally. Physically? I feel way older. but mentally, I'm still reeling from high school graduation. I still go "I need an adult... wait, I AM an adult!" sometimes.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 06-09-2021, 06:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Blue Fish
Coda: Happy belated birthmases to the both of you! And same. My kiddo will be 13 in September. I just turned 35 this summer which doesn't seem that old to me but when I say aloud that my daugther is going to be 13 it's like... ew. Weird.

Den: You need an adultier adult. I get that feeling too sometimes lol.
Old Posted 08-26-2022, 10:42 AM Reply With Quote