Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Lazy
Default   #17  
in my mind i think that if there's a meal, then i would also give them a card, handmade coupon, or some little homemade thing so they have something to show off.
Old Posted 11-01-2012, 08:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, I would say no, because to some extent I feel the same way, but that's for if something were to happen to them, I could have things around me to remind me of the good times before they were taken away.

When my dad died, mom got rid of all his shit that she could so...I pretty much only have two teddy bears and his coins thanks to her. I wish I had more of his stuff.

So my reasoning may be different on why I want an actual gift than you, but I understand it.
Old Posted 11-01-2012, 08:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Keyblade Master
Default   #19  
I'm twenty three years old and I don't bother having parties anymore. Pretty much after twenty one, there aren't really any "big celebrated" ages left until you hit fifty. I rather go out and have dinner with friends and family and not have to pay. Not having to pay would be a gift to me.

I feel like gifts aren't really the point in a birthday and I wish more people felt this way. To me, someone's birthday is a day where you celebrating the day of their birth and just have some fun together. I don't know when gifts such as materialized items started working their way into it all, but I kind of wish it never had. A lot of kids get really spoiled because of birthday gifts, hell, sixteen year old girls terrify me when their "sweet sixteen" rolls around. I never acted like some of those girls did / do when I turned sixteen. I think the only thing I ever asked for on my sixteenth birthday was to go to my favorite restaurant and for a book that was coming out in a series I was following (only because my parents wanted to get me something).
I really need to stop disappearing from this site.
It feels like I don't know anybody anymore.
Last edited by Sora; 11-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Posted 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Cheeky Monkey
I've not had a birthday party since I was about twelve. I won't say you are horrible, but do you really need another thing to sit around the house? My friends and I went out for my birthday this year to Applebee's and we had a good time. It was more than enough for me.

I think that gift giving became a consumerism tradition rather than anything. For what purpose does the gift serve? I would much rather feel the affection from those dear to me.

And be grateful they don't forget. My grandma did, not only my date but my age. -_- I made her actually ask me the date.

-Hiatus-
Leave a message.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 12:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Xhenos Machina
Default   #21  
You had white russians... i'm allergic to alcohol... I'm jelly...

(sorry, that's literally ALL i can think about... .n.)

Elegia de beatus: dolore de realitatem...
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 02:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Bald and loving it!
So I come from a family were gifts are a continual disapointment. All my life my family never had money on my birthday and only once did I actually get something I wanted because my mom was feeling flashy. One year while my sister got a 180gig ipod my brother a new stereo, I got groceries because I needed them back at my dorm. (about 40 bucks worth). And just last year I had to hear the words. "Oh I was going to get you a kindle because I know how much you love to read but I thought these shoes would be better"

I know that spending time with a loved one and all that jazz is amazing but honestly I appreciate a well thought out gift more some times. It shows you know the person, and if you can honestly pick out something they love and make them truly smile that is a good friend. My best christmas was last year. I mean I was having an extremely shitty christmas day to the point where I wanted to cry. I went to see my friend and she hands me a bag and just goes "Open it" And it was the very thing I had wanted or a long time. I can't repay something like that but she said making me happy was all she wanted.

I would say feel disappointed but not like you are a horrible person. You have expectations and I suppose your boyfriend will have to learn them.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 09:49 AM Reply With Quote  
Keyblade Master
Default   #23  
Christmas is another holiday where I wish gifts didn't come into the picture, or at least not as many gifts as people seem to think we need to buy for everyone. Mostly because, I don't have the money to buy presents every year. I would prefer Christmas to be a holiday where you get together with loved ones and just have dinner, dessert, and gather around to tell stories or play games. We don't need the gifts.
I really need to stop disappearing from this site.
It feels like I don't know anybody anymore.
Old Posted 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Grand
I would not call you a horrible person, but simply that you have a lot of opportunities that others may not have. I suffer from social problems, I can not speak unless spoken to, thus I can never be in a relationship with anyone. But then again I am male, so I would not realistically see a girlfriend doing all that stuff for my birthday, out of generosity; that your boyfriend did for you.
Last edited by Glitter; 11-07-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Posted 11-07-2012, 11:14 PM Reply With Quote