Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Silent Scream
Default Emulators   #1  
So...
is it possible to run a PS3 emulator on the computer?
and if so, will it be able to play online? o_O

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 02:37 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
if you had the hardware to run it the software to support it and an emulator then yeah but why the hell would you want to? the ps3 is widely avalible and i highly doubt you could and even if you managed you are likely to get arrested for torrenting illegal software
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 03:58 AM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #3  
hmmm... I was just wondering...
it's the same for other game emulators, right?

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 10:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Mother Ship
Well, I think they're less likely to come after you for using emulators for software/hardware that they don't sell anymore, like NES, SNES,N64...stuff like that.
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 02:07 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #5  
yes, and it is actually illegal to have any game made for those emulator even out-of-production ones but between most people downloading small names and many download sites being low-key it usually is not worth the time or money to track these people down(though there is a bit of money for suing these piraters) something like ps3 however is a live franchise with new stock and heavily mass-marketed stock. there are a lot more eyes on bioshock than there are on earthworm jim

that and morally only a real prick would undermine the system just to get out of paying for a game, there is a lot of difference between cheaping out on something available for purchase and trying to get something you could not conceivably buy anywhere
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 04:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's actually not illegal to POSSESS ROMs / ISOs. What's illegal is DISTRIBUTING them.

If you have a Blu-Ray drive, you can actually read PS3 discs as-is, legally. If you're using an official disc, the only thing about PS3 emulation that's iffy on the legality is the need for a BIOS image -- your right to play PS3 games without Sony hardware is actually a LEGALLY PROTECTED RIGHT, as long as you legally acquired the content.

The PS One, on the other hand, has a fully free reimplementation of the BIOS available in emulators now (that actually works better than Sony's official BIOS). If you have the PS One discs yourself, and you either put them in the drive or you rip them yourself, then there is NOTHING ILLEGAL AT ALL about emulating PS One games. (I think PS2 is in the same place in that regard but I've not done the research to be 100% certain.)
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 10:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Silent Scream
Default   #7  
Ooh, the more I know. Thanks, Coda. I'll keep your guys' statements in mind. :)

^Toxxic art
art by chocobo & honey
Old Posted 11-01-2013, 10:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Platypus
You can if you have all the things you need. I think a friend of mine from the UK has actually managed to emulate the PS3 on his PC. He's a computer/gaming whiz, that guy lol.
Old Posted 04-20-2015, 06:38 PM Reply With Quote