Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Double Rainbow
Default Lice?   #1  
I don't think I have lice, just dandruff, but what if I'm wrong? I'm not insured, and I'm embarrassed to go get my head checked. I think it would be a great idea, just so the hair stylists can't get in trouble for spreading lice. The barbers I've gone to haven't mentioned anything, but I don't know. They don't inspect hair. They just cut it. I have noticed my head becomes itchier while at work, and while I'm elsewhere, my head isn't really all that itchy. Also, unless it's hot out, then my head is itchy. I might have lice, but there's only one way to find out... I don't know how much it'll cost without insurance, though.

EDIT: I just looked up where you can checked up for lice. I was unaware you could do it yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
the galla beast does not create the words that are posted in official capacity. the galla beast merely summons the proper incantations from the void and shares them with the world.
Last edited by Boris; 05-05-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old Posted 05-05-2019, 01:49 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
yes, you can check for yourself, and you can pick up lice treatments for anywhere between $8 and $30, depending on the kind of treatment it is. tho, when grabbing over-the-counter treatments, you absolutely HAVE to follow the directions. most times they don't work, it's because someone thought they could split the dose or some other nonsense that goes against the directions.

Old Posted 05-05-2019, 03:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #3  
Oh, I see. Interesting... hmm, well, I should go get the stuff. I do prefer a professional to do it, which would be more expensive, but me following instructions... things don't work out the way they are supposed to, so I feel incompetent when following instructions. One day, I spent 24 hours trying to build my younger brother's toy to a T, but it was... less than impressive. My mama and I decided to say "let's do this" and made a minor adjustment. Did it work? No, but oh well. It's gone now, and I never want to do it again. Helped build a thing with my mama, and it works and is still standing, so there's that.
Quote:
the galla beast does not create the words that are posted in official capacity. the galla beast merely summons the proper incantations from the void and shares them with the world.
Old Posted 05-05-2019, 03:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It does work somewhat better if you can have someone else help you with it, but that's just because it's kinda hard to see the top of your own scalp. It doesn't require any special qualification, just good lighting and patience.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-06-2019, 05:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #5  
I have read there is a special comb to use, and once used, wipe it on a white... paper towel, and then, if the colour iss a certain colour, it's nits... which are eggs. That's all I know. Anywhere I should go specifically?
Quote:
Old Posted 05-06-2019, 10:35 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
I had lice once as a kid. Wasn't fun. :(

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 05-07-2019, 05:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #7  
Specifically? Nah. Any pharmacy should carry the relevant stuff. Head lice is a common childhood ailment.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
I had lice once as a kid. Wasn't fun. :(
I might have has it since middle school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Specifically? Nah. Any pharmacy should carry the relevant stuff. Head lice is a common childhood ailment.
A friend told me about a dermatologist... but I'm not insured.
Quote:
Old Posted 05-09-2019, 10:09 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #9  
mm, i got it really bad in high school, dunno how long it had been but it got to the point that i couldn't wash my hair without noticing actual grown live bugs ending up on my fingers. even as bad as that was, a dermatologist wasn't necessary. just had a long afternoon doing a thorough job, and a secondary go a few weeks later.

Old Posted 05-09-2019, 10:16 PM Reply With Quote  
기다려
i've had lice a couple of times and here everyone uses an oil called Mediker but it's a long process like oil, shampoo, then multiple comb-throughs... and usually multiple oils and multiple shampoos. but i once used something called NYDA lice treatment and that was just something you apply to your scalp/hair and leave on for a few hours. then you comb out once and shampoo and that's it. if you can find something similar it should work cos with the lice treatment thing the directions were simple and they worked for me

Buying Runes.
PM if you're selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
Don't be alarmed, we just have a minor case of face hugging adorable monsters. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually.

Old Posted 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
Default   #11  
I never had lice... when ever mom heard about a lice outbreak she would rinse my hair out with apple cider vinegar every night.

It's a good preventative, and it also helps kill off the lice if they already started an infestation.

I still do vinegar rinses as an adult.. never hurts to be careful.

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 05-21-2019, 01:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonskid View Post
I never had lice... when ever mom heard about a lice outbreak she would rinse my hair out with apple cider vinegar every night.

It's a good preventative, and it also helps kill off the lice if they already started an infestation.

It doesn't actually kill the lice -- if they're chewing on your skin, it's too late for vinegar to be helpful and you'll need something stronger. And it doesn't prevent the eggs from getting there in the first place, because once your hair has dried it doesn't do anything anymore.

But it does WORK: The acetic acid in the vinegar dissolves the substance that makes the eggs stick to your hair, so they don't get a chance to hatch. So doing vinegar rinses after a risk of exposure will prevent the infestation. It's a good strategy when you have kids going to school, especially in poorer areas.

Old Posted 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #13  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
mm, i got it really bad in high school, dunno how long it had been but it got to the point that i couldn't wash my hair without noticing actual grown live bugs ending up on my fingers. even as bad as that was, a dermatologist wasn't necessary. just had a long afternoon doing a thorough job, and a secondary go a few weeks later.
I might try that some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daikokunyo View Post
i've had lice a couple of times and here everyone uses an oil called Mediker but it's a long process like oil, shampoo, then multiple comb-throughs... and usually multiple oils and multiple shampoos. but i once used something called NYDA lice treatment and that was just something you apply to your scalp/hair and leave on for a few hours. then you comb out once and shampoo and that's it. if you can find something similar it should work cos with the lice treatment thing the directions were simple and they worked for me
I should try that some time, but only when I have concluded tht wht I am using is not helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonskid View Post

That's awesome! Maybe I should try that.

I did a little experiment. I used the anti dandruf thing on my hair twice one week, and I noticed my hair was less itchy while at work, so I believe it is nt lice;however, I do wanna get my head checked out.
Quote:
Old Posted 05-23-2019, 11:53 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
It was routine for lice to crop up at my elementary school once in a while. Volunteers would check everyone with little picks, and then those with lice were told to get stuff from the pharmacy. I've never heard of professionals being involved unless something weird was going on. Most hair-dressers can probably spot lice as well, since it would be a problem if any got into a salon. Whatever treatment you use, be sure to change your pillowcase often and put something washable on any surface you rest your head against so that bugs and things don't get caught on the surface and jump back onto your head.
Old Posted 05-24-2019, 05:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I did a little experiment. I used the anti dandruf thing on my hair twice one week, and I noticed my hair was less itchy while at work, so I believe it is nt lice;however, I do wanna get my head checked out.
If the dandruff shampoo helped, it's probably a low-grade fungal issue. The fungus is native to the scalp and is an important part of the natural ecosystem there, but sometimes the conditions lead to an imbalance and the fungus grows faster than the skin of the scalp is ready to handle. This causes the skin to shed in flakes instead of in nearly-invisible dust, and it's itchy. The dandruff shampoo cuts back on the fungal overgrowth and gives the scalp a chance to heal.

Old Posted 05-24-2019, 12:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
I don't think there's fungus on anyone's head.
Quote:
Old Posted 06-04-2019, 01:25 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
dandruff, lice