Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #2833  
Derpy waddles in. "I'm weady for Vawentine's day!" He announces cheerful, tugging at his new skirt.
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 02-13-2020, 09:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
I hate lotion dispenser boogers.
Old Posted 02-13-2020, 10:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2835  
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
I need to transfer photos off my phone as well uwu
... I'm tired. I was trying to figure out how you could possibly transfer potatoes.

Accursed dyslexia!
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-13-2020, 11:43 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
coda has dyslexia??

grumbles about people saying that other people are narcissistic -- this further stigmatizes NPD for fuck's sake!
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 02-14-2020, 12:51 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2837  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
coda has dyslexia??
It's not super severe, and I read fast enough regardless that I can correct most reading errors before they cause problems. For the most part, it just leads to me noticing amusing misreadings and joking about it.

It's only an issue if the misreading still makes sense so I don't NOTICE that it was a misreading.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
ah.

my brother has bad dyslexia to the point he can only make out short sentences / short words. he's getting a bit better with it.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2839  
Yeah, I have no idea what's up with the way my nervous system is wired. According to speed reading research, my reading speed is supposed to be unachievable. (If I really push myself I can read 1600wpm with 80% comprehension/retention. I don't usually TRY to read that fast, in no small part because I prefer better retention rates but also because especially with fiction I intentionally slow down to visualize/audiate the content.) But I have that kind of reading speed and dyslexia, and I have ADHD and sensory processing issues... I'm sure it's all related somehow.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
h. huh.

realistically i have no idea how you'd manage that. i read pretty quickly but oftentimes have trouble retaining information, hence why i go over it again just to make sure, y'know? not too sure about my actual reading speed.

suspect that might be linked to either adhd or autism (i show symptoms of both).

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:44 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2841  
Autism and ADHD have a pretty significant overlap in symptoms. My wife and I thought our son might be autistic, but as he's gotten older it's gotten easier to tell the difference -- it's severe early-onset ADHD that resulted in developmental delays. He's not showing the flattened emotional response that characterizes autism and as he's gotten older he's picked up the emotional perception abilities you would expect to see in typical development; they're just delayed. Having grown up with ADHD myself I get how to work with him on that, but it's really hard seeing a 12-year-old with obvious signs of depression, too...

As far as reading speed is concerned, the average reading speed for adults is 200-250 words per minute. College students usually score better than that, interestingly; 300wpm isn't unusual at all. It's believed to be because they get so much practice at it. So unless you feel like everyone else is always really dragging when reading stuff that you find easy, your reading speed is probably in the 200-300wpm range.

For me, I think the big thing is that -- through whatever mechanism that I don't really understand -- my reading is decoupled from speech, which is very much not normal. Most people can't read much faster than they could theoretically talk if they didn't have to worry about tripping over their tongue, and from what I've heard an EEG will actually pick up the neurons in your mouth and throat firing when you read in the same patterns that they fire in when you speak. I've never had this evaluated in me, but I DON'T subvocalize when I read (I don't imagine hearing the words in my head). I imagine this allows the concepts to skip a step and go straight into processing. I have no idea how that works.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 01:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
ngl i wonder whether it's because i was a gifted kid-- whether that caused me to go undiagnosed for a long time, because schools don't think there's anything wrong with someone that overperforms to try and meet expectations of them, or because it wasn't spotted early enough to be of concern.

it just sucks because i know there's something wrong here but can't tell people what it is.

that's interesting.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 02:54 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2843  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
ngl i wonder whether it's because i was a gifted kid-- whether that caused me to go undiagnosed for a long time, because schools don't think there's anything wrong with someone that overperforms to try and meet expectations of them, or because it wasn't spotted early enough to be of concern.
The same thing happened to me. Everyone knew I was a gifted kid; I was sitting in a 3rd grade class when I was 6 years old. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until I was 10, but by then I'd been held back just because even though I could keep up with the work I wasn't getting the social development I needed because I wasn't in classes with kids my own age.

In my experience, a lot of it is just that a kid that doesn't cause trouble doesn't get the extra attention needed to identify a problem.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 03:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Quote:
Originally Posted by trystan830 View Post
check yer trades, Merskelly! :D
Aww, I don't deserve it, but thank you anyways Trystan! <:} <3

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 04:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #2845  
of course you do, Merskelly. you're welcome! :D

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-14-2020, 05:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Aww, Derpy, your skirt is super cute!
:D
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 02-14-2020, 06:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #2847  
Derpy honestly deserves all the sweets and valentines he gets! ^w^ <3

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 06:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
The same thing happened to me. Everyone knew I was a gifted kid; I was sitting in a 3rd grade class when I was 6 years old. I wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until I was 10, but by then I'd been held back just because even though I could keep up with the work I wasn't getting the social development I needed because I wasn't in classes with kids my own age.

In my experience, a lot of it is just that a kid that doesn't cause trouble doesn't get the extra attention needed to identify a problem.
me, who is afab and has never been diagnosed with a mental illness, ever:
doctors, already not giving out enough adhd diagnoses to afab people:

anyways, i'm gonna be real surprised if i do manage to get a diagnosis ever, considering several factors.
in better news: a friend of mine found out they do have autism, so at the very least, that's been diagnosed.

Old Posted 02-14-2020, 08:33 PM Reply With Quote