Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #17  
Oof. that sounds awful. I remember in high school, trying SO hard to get one of the main cast spots for the yearly musicals... and always being put in as a background cast/choir member. the teacher played favorites, and it was always the kids who went to his church who got the lead roles.
I use She/Her and They/Them pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher
i'm not being biased, den just speaks my language
Roll4It Dice RP Server | Buy me a Ko-Fi? | Make a Nerd's Christmas?
Old Posted 10-30-2019, 11:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
With some practice (and potentially damaging my vocal cords; Void, don’t push yourself to do this too quickly), I managed to get the lower extremes of my voice down to around a step and a half below the usual lower bounds of the tenor range.

There was this one awkward time where I somehow got sorted into soprano in the children’s choir. Spent the entire break trying to prove that I’m definitely NOT in that range.

I can hit an A2 with some difficulty. Can’t actually sing that yet.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-30-2019, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
Default   #19  
I'm just really out of practice with the higher octaves anymore, so I don't really bother with them.

Quote:
Old Posted 10-31-2019, 01:50 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I used to be able to hit an E5. -nervous laughter- Nowadays, I’d be lucky to hit a decent C5...
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-31-2019, 03:46 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #21  
*experiments around a bit*

Dang accursed sine waves. XD I was about to post about octave number confusion because I thought my A was 440Hz (and therefore A4) and I can hit the E an octave + a fifth above that. Turns out, no, my fundamental on that A is 220Hz and it's just the harmonics in my skull blending in with the sine wave from the tuner throwing me off, and my high note is an E5 just like yours.

That's a slight decrease in my range. I used to be able to hit F#5. I can still put the musculature in my throat in the position that feels like it ought to at least produce an F5, but it still comes out as an E. ^^() I'm probably just out of practice.

I can hit an E2 on the other end, but my throat just won't open any wider than that. I have enough control over the E2 to tune it, but there's no way in heck I can hit the D#.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-31-2019, 10:30 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
P sure with more practice, I could get back into the E5 area, but. Ouch. And I probably have the smallest range out of anyone I’ve asked.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 10-31-2019, 12:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #23  
What's the bottom of your range, when you're warmed up and in practice? Because my three-octave range is... kinda big? Not exactly fair to compare against it; most vocal music is written assuming a two-octave range.

And to be fair, just because my total range is three octaves doesn't mean my tessitura is that big; that's G2 to... somewhere around A4, depending on how warmed up I am. (Totally not-warmed-up, it's only F4.)

EDIT: Which also means my range has dropped noticeably since my 20s. That E2 I mentioned used to be pretty out of reach and my comfortable range was a 3rd or so higher than what it is now -- I was pretty clearly a tenor, and now I'd be pretty solidly labeled a baritone.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Tattooed & foul-mouthed
I honestly don't know what my range is anymore, besides mostly Alto.

Quote:
Old Posted 10-31-2019, 09:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #25  
In my opinion....
I feel that genre doesn't determine whether or not a song will be "good" or "not".

There's more to music than just the way it sounds...
I find that most people who say things like, "I *hate* rap or I *hate* country" haven't really explored enough of it to have a proper opinion. Either that, or they have predestined ideas of that genre and they don't take into account other things like pacing, lyrics and vocals... like, all the other components that make a song. You know?

I don't prefer country, but I have a couple of country songs that I like due to their humorous lyrics or their really decent vocals.

I don't prefer rap or hip hop or even R&B, but there are some decent songs in those genres... Even some "pop" songs can be pretty decent.

Granted...
I tend to find MOST indie folk music appealing to me
I had. therapist tell me once that the music that people like is actually based on the shape of their inner ear. That's why some people prefer certain genres over others...
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 11-01-2019, 10:41 PM Reply With Quote