Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Derp
Default NaNoWriMo Group Hangout   #1  
♣ ♣ ♣ What month is it?

November.

♣ ♣ ♣ Question of the Hour: What's the significance?

Answer: NaNoWriMo!

♠ ♠ Further Questions:
~Hunh? What the devil is NaNoWriMo!?

NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November. It's a month where you churn out a novel in only thirty days!
~Wait, how do I do this NaNoWriMo!?
Well, in NaNoWriMo you start on November 1st, or later, to write at least 50,000 words of a novel by the end of the month. You can have a specific average to complete per day, or do it completely wonky if you like. You win if you get fifty thousand done by the end of the month.
~So, I'm writing a novel. What about?
Anything you choose! The novel can be any genre, with any target audience, with any style.
~How do I join?
You don't have to officially join - NaNoWriMo is a personal thing, and winning is a personal thing for you. However, you can keep track of your words, your count, your novel and your NaNo buddies on this website! Simply click on the link (it's safe, don't worry) and register to start your very own NaNoWriMo account!

♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ Other FAQs:
•To come!•

○ This thread is for those who are also doing NaNoWriMo, those who wish to talk about NaNoWriMo or novels, those looking for encouragement or chatter about it, and those looking for inspiration or critique. Please remember to be friendly at all times! ○

I do avatar art! PM me for the details.
Tumblr!
Doing NaNoWriMo? Visit the thread!
Last edited by Steam; 11-02-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
♠ Trisphites doing NaNoWriMo: ♠
Steam - website username is Totheark
DarkForbiddenLove - website username is Kakushigo
johnny - website username is wordybee

If you'd like your username and NaNo account to be up here, merely post in here or PM me!

Rules for the NaNoWriMo thread hangout:
♣Please obey the Site Rules at all times.
♣If someone asks for criticism, give them criticism - not flaming or trolling. Be respectful of other works at all times.
♣If you ask for criticism, please be prepared to take it.
♣No plagiarism. All work must be your own.
♣We will not write your novel for you. It's fine to ask for help or inspirition on a concept, but don't blatantly ask for ideas.

White List:

Everyone! ☺

No black list, yet, and I don't want one.

Tumblr!
Last edited by Steam; 11-03-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default Useful Websites and Resources   #3  
○○○ ○○ A website that can produce rhymes, synonyms, antonyms, definitions, related words, homophones, similar sounding words, or check spelling very easily! ○○
~ RHYMEZONE
○○○ ○○ A website telling you the ins and outs of NaNoWriMo - things you need to know about it ○○
~ 25 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
○○○ ○○ Useful advice to help with NaNoWriMo - different things work for different people! ○○
~ GETTING IT DONE
○○○ ○○ Camp NaNoWriMo - you can sign in here with your NaNoWriMo login ○○
~ CAMP NANOWRIMO
○○○ ○○ Usefil Tips ○○
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...ng-tips_b41295
http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/2011...-preparations/

NaNoWriMo's Twitter!
Tweet!

All of these websites are okay. I've checked for any baddies and found none. However, if there be dragons, and you encounter them, please let me know so I can note it in the thread or take it down completely.

Tumblr!
Last edited by Steam; 11-02-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Reserved.

Tumblr!
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #5  
Open! ◘◘◘ ♦

Tumblr!
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
Yeash, I'm in it and can be found as Kakushigo. And now to see about that 6,000 word marker I have.

(Those who are familiar with the name, yes, it was my cousin's account. She never used it so I got it.)
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
Broken Muse is my girlfriend
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:
That is the general nature of things! An equality, a mutal need!

What? To kill and be killed? To love and to feed? That is what you support! There is no equality between the pet and the master.
-Elizabeth & Jason (From The Thirteenth Season)
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #7  
That's great to hear! Do you mind if I put you in the second post as a participant?

Tumblr!
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
Not at all Steam.
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:

What? To kill and be killed? To love and to feed? That is what you support! There is no equality between the pet and the master.
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #9  
And done! I've got some useful websites up that help out, but if anyone else knows of any and would like to suggest them, please feel free to post them in here or PM me.

Tumblr!
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
I'm flying by the seat if my pants, learning things as it pops up so I'll be no help for helpful websites.
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:

Old Posted 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Derp
Default   #11  
Heh. Sounds like me. I just googled 'NaNoWriMo' to see what I could find.

Have you started on your novel yet?

Tumblr!
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 09:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Person, what Person?
Yes, I have. I think I may end up changing it but currently I have a novel going.
Puppy to Asami
Gallagher is Nursy~
And Ducky is awesome!

Quote:

Old Posted 11-02-2011, 09:22 PM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Default   #13  
I am currently clawing my way through NaNoWriMo. (user: wordybee)

I think this is my worst year since I started doing WriMo in 2005.

Absolutely nothing is coming easily for this one. I mean, usually I at least have some level of verve for the first half of the month, then it gradually wanes until I'm forced to stop at around 30,000 words or so. This year I can barely decide if my "plot" is enough to actually write about.

It's frustrating. :/

Old Posted 11-02-2011, 09:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
I've known about NaNoWriMo for years, but I've never even considered attempting it. I am a frighteningly slow writer -- most of the time due to a lack of motivation to work, but also because I'm an obsessive "architect" when it comes to planning a novel. I need to spend months or even years outlining the plot and ironing out any issues that crop up before I even consider putting pen to paper. I'm also hyper-conscious of word-choice while I'm writing, which slows me down even more.

I do speculate sometimes on what would happen if I disconnected myself from the internet, took away any distractions, and just left myself with writing to occupy myself, since I do waste a lot of time deliberately not working on things. I just know for a fact there's no way I could write a novel in a month. 50,000 words in a year is good for me.

And, no I've never actually completed a novel (well, one, but it doesn't count because I had no idea what I was doing when I wrote it). I'm 50k words into one right now, 20k into another, and have a trilogy on the back burner simmering, but they're all a long way from finishing.

Speaking generally as a writer (I'm much better at talking about writing than actually doing it) I really don't see much promise in the exercise of writing a novel in one month (not that 50k words is really a novel...) There's really not much of a chance of anything good coming out of it, and working at that pace will leave a nightmare of editing behind. I understand the sentiment of getting in the mode of writing every day, and I do think that's a good thing, but I also think it's a waste of writing time in most cases since the finished product has a very low chance of being satisfying to anyone, least of all the writer.

(In case it isn't obvious, I do not at all support the "just write" mentality. Writing is a craft, one that talent is only one aspect of. And like any craft, time and care are rewarded. Rushing isn't a good idea. But, I suppose NaNoWriMo has always been about quantity over quality, anyway.)

And I can babble endlessly about this (English major/Creative Writing minor). Going to stop myself now. :p

Edit: Also, if find some of those tips you linked to rather questionable. I very much advise to *not* turn to RPGs for inspiration for a plot. Even in the context of absolutely-needing-a-plot-and-I-can't-come-up-with-anything, that strikes as a terrible decision. RPG stories, for the most part, are not compatible with the storytelling required for a successful novel. Such books are almost inevitably the lowest common denominator of (usually) fantasy literature and aren't going to impress anyone worth impressing.

(I know that makes me sound like some ivory tower elitist, but I swear I'm not. I actually have a huge problem with "literature" and prefer fantasy above anything else, but only because I have faith that the genre can be more than what R.A. Salvatore makes it to be.)
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 11-02-2011, 11:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Holding Daisies
Default   #15  
I have a friend who is trying this, and I would love to give it a shot next year, if I have time.
I would kill to be your clothes...
Cling to your body, and hang from your bones...
Old Posted 11-03-2011, 01:47 AM Reply With Quote  
writing machine in bad repair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzerain of Sheol View Post
Speaking generally as a writer (I'm much better at talking about writing than actually doing it) I really don't see much promise in the exercise of writing a novel in one month (not that 50k words is really a novel...) There's really not much of a chance of anything good coming out of it, and working at that pace will leave a nightmare of editing behind. I understand the sentiment of getting in the mode of writing every day, and I do think that's a good thing, but I also think it's a waste of writing time in most cases since the finished product has a very low chance of being satisfying to anyone, least of all the writer.

(In case it isn't obvious, I do not at all support the "just write" mentality. Writing is a craft, one that talent is only one aspect of. And like any craft, time and care are rewarded. Rushing isn't a good idea. But, I suppose NaNoWriMo has always been about quantity over quality, anyway.)

And I can babble endlessly about this (English major/Creative Writing minor). Going to stop myself now. :p
I think you're sort of under the impression that people write these books and think they're perfect and try to send them off to publication, but they don't. The point of NaNoWriMo is to finish something; "ready for publication" isn't really a factor and everyone who participates in NaNoWriMo is well aware that what they've written isn't ready for outsiders to see. No matter what an author does, he or she is going to need editing - full, every page with a fine-toothed-comb editing. There's little difference, really, between changing one or two misplaced commas on a page and changing an entire sentence. You (or your editor) will be looking at that page anyway, so why not?

This month isn't actually any different from any other time during which a writer attempts to write a novel. The only real difference is that the success rate of completing something is up significantly, even if that something is only the first step in a long, long process.

In my experience, the first draft will always be crap, regardless of whether it's taken thirty days or thirty years. That's what first drafts are for. Even if someone edits as he or she goes, it's still probably going to need more editing in the end.

More than anything, I think that NaNoWriMo helps considerably for those who have never written a book in their lives. It lets them figure out how they should start things, how they should pace things, and how to tie everything up in the end. Yes, they could probably, eventually, some time in the future, complete a novel and figure it all out then, or they could spend a NaNo month writing what will ultimately be a "test novel" and figure it out a whole lot sooner.

Old Posted 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM Reply With Quote  

Tags
book, nanowrimo, writers, writing