Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #385  
Cat either has really bad allergies or has a cold. ;u; If he doesn't get better within the next couple days I'll take him to the vet.

And on top of that Mr. Crybaby on TV thinks he can get away with his crying act. Nope ain't gonna happen you still r@ped people. :|

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 06:53 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Was running late and definitely didn't have time to get coffee and I'm exhausted and need a nap, but there's no time for napping because I need to walk home after work and throw my work clothes in the wash and do stuff before going to the other job.
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 02:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #387  
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
And on top of that Mr. Crybaby on TV thinks he can get away with his crying act. Nope ain't gonna happen you still r@ped people. :|
Without veering too far into politics because I don't actually care one way or the other about the actual decision, this is primarily being hyped up because it's a tool to try to block a political opponent from taking office, not because something that happened decades ago with no further wrongdoing is actually relevant to the nature of someone's character and moral standing.

Not only is this an unproven, uncorroborated allegation, but the allegation isn't even rape, just an inappropriate touch between two teenagers.

UGH. I am so pissed off about how much bloody unnecessary attention this whole rigamarole is getting. It's utter nonsense, political filibustering masquerading as moral incense. It's a distraction from real issues, a circus of nonsense instead of something that's actually going to matter.

Seriously, I'd be crying too if people had spent two weeks digging into an event that happened in my childhood for the sole reason of trying to make me look bad.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 02:09 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Without veering too far into politics because I don't actually care one way or the other about the actual decision, this is primarily being hyped up because it's a tool to try to block a political opponent from taking office, not because something that happened decades ago with no further wrongdoing is actually relevant to the nature of someone's character and moral standing.

Not only is this an unproven, uncorroborated allegation, but the allegation isn't even rape, just an inappropriate touch between two teenagers.

UGH. I am so pissed off about how much bloody unnecessary attention this whole rigamarole is getting. It's utter nonsense, political filibustering masquerading as moral incense. It's a distraction from real issues, a circus of nonsense instead of something that's actually going to matter.

Seriously, I'd be crying too if people had spent two weeks digging into an event that happened in my childhood for the sole reason of trying to make me look bad.
agreeing that it's being pumped up to an extreme degree

disagree that something decades ago has no relevancy to someone's character

everyone makes stupid mistakes, but there are some kinds of mistakes that aren't the mistakes that just anyone would make, and those do speak to your character. the way you respond to your previous mistakes is what speaks of your current moral standing.

i don't have much of an opinion on this specific situation, but i think that it's important to understand in this climate of attacking people's histories that not only do individual morals and understandings change as they grow and not every little thing can be held against them, there are some kinds of mistakes that simply cannot be excused by age, era, immaturity, etc.

Old Posted 09-28-2018, 03:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #389  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
disagree that something decades ago has no relevancy to someone's character

everyone makes stupid mistakes, but there are some kinds of mistakes that aren't the mistakes that just anyone would make, and those do speak to your character. the way you respond to your previous mistakes is what speaks of your current moral standing.

i don't have much of an opinion on this specific situation, but i think that it's important to understand in this climate of attacking people's histories that not only do individual morals and understandings change as they grow and not every little thing can be held against them, there are some kinds of mistakes that simply cannot be excused by age, era, immaturity, etc.
Sure, I can agree that there are some things that could indeed be unforgivable. Murder, especially premeditated, would certainly qualify here at any age. And on the other side of things, petty shoplifting by a teenager probably wouldn't. But in between, the dividing line is very fuzzy and extremely context-sensitive, and exactly where that line is drawn is itself a matter of opinion.

But one thing I absolutely do not want to do is hold an accusation against someone if that accusation is in fact false. It could have been alleged to have happened last week by someone in the full rightness of their mind, but if it didn't actually happen then that shouldn't be held against them.

One of the core tenets of our society is supposed to be the presumption of innocence. This is enforced by law in judicial settings, but in the public eye the tendency has been to presume guilt and put the onus on the accused to prove innocence. And that's infuriating to me. Kavanaugh is just the most recent and most visible example, but the problem goes way beyond just that.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 09-28-2018, 04:32 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
Sure, I can agree that there are some things that could indeed be unforgivable. Murder, especially premeditated, would certainly qualify here at any age. And on the other side of things, petty shoplifting by a teenager probably wouldn't. But in between, the dividing line is very fuzzy and extremely context-sensitive, and exactly where that line is drawn is itself a matter of opinion.

But one thing I absolutely do not want to do is hold an accusation against someone if that accusation is in fact false. It could have been alleged to have happened last week by someone in the full rightness of their mind, but if it didn't actually happen then that shouldn't be held against them.

One of the core tenets of our society is supposed to be the presumption of innocence. This is enforced by law in judicial settings, but in the public eye the tendency has been to presume guilt and put the onus on the accused to prove innocence. And that's infuriating to me. Kavanaugh is just the most recent and most visible example, but the problem goes way beyond just that.
i think, in a way, something that's becoming more and more prominent with this struggle of guilt in the public eye is this idea people have that you have to presume innocence of the right side with situations like these, because either one of these sorts of accusations or the accusation being false, both are crimes that ruin lives. it seems like people feel as though assuming innocence of a person means assuming guilt of another when it's this kind of situation, and media representation and breakdowns only help to bolster this idea of one side or the other, just as it does in the larger scope of politics.

if the accusations against him are true, then i think that this is a case of something that absolutely speaks of his character and how suitable he is for the position he's going for.

but to judge based on impulsive emotion, to try and be on the "right" side from the start, and the larger issue of emotional manipulation in order to assert any kind of agenda, that speaks a hell of a lot on a person's character, too, and we're seeing a lot of that surrounding all of this. it's not okay.

anyway lol. point is, not disagreeing with the source of your outrage. just how your initial post came off as dismissal of how that kind of act, if true, would actually reflect on his character. "just an inappropriate touch between two teenagers" is, to me, an incredibly distasteful, dismissive way to spin it in the context of your post.

Old Posted 09-28-2018, 04:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #391  
Ah, I do apologize, at the time I posted that I wasn't actually aware of the details of the third allegation or of the more specific allegations that were added to the first allegation since the last time I fully read up on it. I can certainly see how that would seem dismissive of that. The last information I had was that he was accused of groping one and exposing himself to another. I've been rather tuning it out since then because of the absolute media overload. (Which of course goes right back to how much of a problem it actually is: it's drowning out real issues because of the circus.)

Old Posted 09-28-2018, 05:29 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
yeah, the overload of it is definitely a daily awful

my personal daily awful is disappointment in the second installment of the jake paul/shane dealio going on because of the overly broad strokes, hurtful language, and tired old fear baiting on the subject of individuals with sociopathic tendencies

Old Posted 09-28-2018, 05:36 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Default   #393  
Hoo boy. ._.

Anyway, personal daily awful, shoulder is sore and idk why. x_X Woop de do.

Old Posted 09-28-2018, 10:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Rebooting....
Did I talk about the ceiling coming apart in the bathroom? I only ask because another piece of the ceiling fell in this morning, this time in the dining room. And Mom's elderly Jack Russel thought she would be clever and 'clean up' by trying to eat the clumps of insulation. I think we got her away from it before she actually got any down.
Old Posted 09-29-2018, 12:17 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #395  
Ugh. Craving ice cream, but the grocery store closed 30 minutes ago.
:c
Old Posted 09-29-2018, 12:29 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Allergies are messing me up today, yay ;u;

Old Posted 10-01-2018, 12:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Default   #397  
I feel like I have the plague. My lungs hurt, my face hurts from the congestion, and I can't freaking breathe. Fuck. This.

Some Eclectic Witch
Ashwood's Item Quest Thread
Old Posted 10-01-2018, 04:21 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
The current state of politics. It's not even in my country and it's greatly bothering me.
Old Posted 10-01-2018, 11:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #399  
I hate feeling emotionally...handicapped I guess?...at times. Having a friend dealing with a difficult and emotional time and all I can do is offer pragmatic solutions for future assistance because I don't know how to emotionally be there for them, especially given physical distance between us. Like, they could probably use a hug and some comforting emotional advice, but I feel dead inside emotionally and don't know what to say to help them.
Why am I like this? *facepalms* How do I be a better friend?
Old Posted 10-02-2018, 10:05 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste View Post
I hate feeling emotionally...handicapped I guess?...at times. Having a friend dealing with a difficult and emotional time and all I can do is offer pragmatic solutions for future assistance because I don't know how to emotionally be there for them, especially given physical distance between us. Like, they could probably use a hug and some comforting emotional advice, but I feel dead inside emotionally and don't know what to say to help them.
Why am I like this? *facepalms* How do I be a better friend?
you know, i've actually struggled with this same kind of thing a lot. but, sort of recently, i've kind of realized something that helps... or, helps me, anyway.

there are actually... a lot of people that, when they go looking for comfort from friends, they don't want said friend to get on the same emotional level as them. they want someone stable and grounding, not someone that'll match their energy or offer the stereotypical hugs and comforting words.

and when i think of that, i realize. being emotionally distant in a way, that's not me being a bad friend. not at all. all it really is, even in the worst case scenario, is not being the kind of friend they need right at that moment.

and like... that's okay.

no one is meant to be everything for another person. not even long time partners are everything to each other. they still have other family. other friends. and not getting one thing from someone, or not giving one thing to someone, doesn't change the quality of that relationship.

Old Posted 10-03-2018, 06:42 AM Reply With Quote