Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Jellosexual
Default   #1329  
Yeah, there aren't many options that are not... event/special/donation xD
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
i mean lol

we only added galactic patterns this year, and no one has been telling me thing to put it on

so i sort of

forget to

usually

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
Default   #1331  
everywhere brah
like galactic poop hat??
winner idea
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Thanks Gallagher! I hope you have a cape for when you come swooping in to help.

I've been thinking about things to suggest but want to do so cautiously to make sure it's something I'd actually want to use.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:30 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #1333  
i would say that it doesn't hurt to throw out a little something every week, just so we can start building up a backlog of them before you're trying to make intensive use of a limited pattern like galaxy or the rainbows

cuz like, left to my own devices, i'm usually too lazy to pick something out on my own lol

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Are you open to the suggesting of new colors? If it's not fancy and not too many. I've mostly been wanting to suggest a cream color since there isn't one close enough, but I wanted to make a proper preview of it first.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:38 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #1335  
i mean, if there's enough of a demand, i'm not opposed to the addition of more gradient sets as an idea, but it's something i've said in the past that i'm not interested in personally working on.

there are definitely gaps in our color range that could stand to be filled. an alternative cream being one, a couple proper pastels like a pale yellow and a better orange for another, and there's a certain range of purple that i feel we don't have represented.

in the end, it will be an intense amount of work to integrate new shade ranges whether it's 1 shade or 20, so if we're going to seriously consider it, you might as well go big. it's like, the hard part isn't what you'd think it would be right, the hard part is actually going back and getting all of the proper greyscales for each common that we're updating, making sure all of the details match the original versions, getting all of the same pose options, etc etc.

adding the colors themselves, once they're fully integrated into the commons tool, would be a simple matter of only checking off the new gradients to be made. that's easy no matter how many colors it happens to be. the rest is the tedious part, and the part i don't personally want to deal with.

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:49 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop

here's a visual for what i mean with the commons tool.

once the gradients themselves are made and integrated into it, we'd only have to make sure that it's the new shade ranges that are checked and not the rest. not a big deal at all.

file handling tho, lmao

there's a peek at all of the layers involved with making the desolate flame set i edited for ya, with the images that make up the legs alone highlighted for perspective

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #1337  
Yeah that's what I was afraid of since some of the old items don't have newer colors, I realized if it had been easy they would already have all the colors. But thank you for responding on it.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 04:58 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
the last time we had a colors upgrade, we had someone else to work on it, but they unfortunately left the team (and left a lot of broken items from their attempts).

again, as hesitant as i am, i'm not opposed to the idea, if someone wants to take up the job. perhaps you can con insomniak or someone into working on it, once you have some examples of the colors you'd want and get some support for them from other users.

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #1339  
Ohh, that certainly is a lot of files. That would be a pain.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Jellosexual
bribe Insomniak saying how cool more homestuck items would look in the new colors
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #1341  
I'll keep that in mind, but I'm okay with working with what we have. There are a lot great colors already to work with.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:03 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
reasons why i don't do rainbow/galaxy by default, haha. it's a lot of stuff to edit, and i'm not gonna cheap out and have coda or toho make an automatic generation for those patterns. they come out better when i can tweak the levels individually and line things up to best display the colors.

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Don't Go Into The Light
Default   #1343  
Those unique patterns are really what make them even better. Does everything else utilize gradient maps? I have less than basic Photoshop skills but am curious for my own learning.
Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:38 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
yeah, all the standard colors and the base skin colors have gradient maps

the above image comprises all of the gradients integrated into our commons tool, with the exception of one additional shade of steel (silver) that is reserved for premiums and other individually recolored items

Old Posted 07-06-2018, 05:44 PM Reply With Quote