Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Desolation Denizen
Default   #17  
The crowd clears out, the nobles heading back for the charmed seclusion of their mansion while the townspeople depart to grimy market stalls and horse-pens.

Ulysses: Spot 1d20 + 1 = 8 vs. DC 13

As the gallows square empties out, the soldier becomes suddenly aware that Hadrian is striding straight toward him, the heels of his polished boots kicking up dirt with each step. He comes to a stop within striking distance of Ulysses, looking up the considerable difference in their height with violent, judging eyes.

"I don't recognize you. Foreigner?"

Ulysses meets the man's stare unphased, confident he could snap the miserable creature over his knee if it came to that. After a moment, "No, sir. I was born here many years ago, now. But I forgive your ignorance, I've only just returned yesterday from my service in Calgea's army."

Ulysses: Bluff 1d20 +3 = 23
Hadrian: Sense Motive 1d20 + 8 = 21

Hadrian's eyes flare, the fingers of his right hand twitching to draw his rapier, but he somehow restrains himself. Perhaps his valor is not so stern when faced with men who can fight back in lieu of defenseless maidens. "Well, see that you comport yourself with full military decorum, then. Whoever you are."

He stomps away, the few remaining guards following in his wake.

Ulysses shrugs. "And here I thought that might get interesting."
Cold silence has a tendency
to atrophy any sense of compassion
between supposed lovers.
Between supposed brothers.
Old Posted 10-28-2017, 02:37 AM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
"'Whoever you are'," Tanya repeated with a huff. "I doubt he knows his own guardsmen."

Old Posted 10-28-2017, 03:15 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #19  
Having enough with Hadrian's grandstanding, Felix leaves Poor Dalton to the executioner and the breeze, and heads towards his home. He has nothing to pick up in the square today, and the newly deceased was adding an ugly pallor to the marketplace.

He stops walking barely two steps later when he hears Hadrian's latest speech. He takes a look at the newcomer, a massive individual with no shortage of nerve. Or ignorance.

After Hadrian makes his exit, Felix walks over to the estranged native. "You are lucky he doesn't seem up to flaunting his sword today, but you might have gained some undue attention." He doesn't speak loudly, but is close enough that the man should hear. "Hadrian has been around since I've been here, and hasn't gotten any more pleasant. You must have been gone for some time."
Old Posted 10-28-2017, 04:57 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
"Nigh on ten years," Ulysses tells the man. Up close, there is something off about him, not easy to define, a vacuous cast to his gaze, as though he were actually looking through Ulysses, rather than at him. But the soldier has met strange men before, and he seems peaceable enough.

He extends his hand out in salutation. "Ulysses," he introduces himself gruffly. "Perhaps you know my mother, Marl, the alchemist."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 10-28-2017, 03:17 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #21  
"Would that mother of yours have any poisons suitable for a boar?"

Old Posted 10-28-2017, 03:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Ulysses eyes Tanya askance. Does the village have a boar problem he wasn't aware of? "I imagine you'd need a potent venom to bring down a beast like that, or perhaps something just to weaken it and then finish it off with spears. Probably best to ask Marl yourself, I know nothing of the witch's arts."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 10-28-2017, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #23  
"Felix." He hesitates before taking the offered hand. "And yes, I do know Marl."
Old Posted 10-28-2017, 11:06 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
"Felix," Tanya said to the man with a nod, then turned her gaze right back to Ulysses. "I heard there's a feast planned for this evening."

Old Posted 10-29-2017, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Default   #25  
Ulysses considers for a moment. If their enemies' attention will be drawn inward tonight, it may be the perfect time to strike. But as for what exactly they should attempt, the soldier simply doesn't know enough about the situation in town yet to formulate a plan.

"We need to speak with my mother. Are you with us, Felix?
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 10-29-2017, 04:23 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
"I suppose I will come. I'm going to stop at home first. Continue it you like, I will follow in a few minutes."
Old Posted 10-29-2017, 04:29 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #27  
"'Follow in a few minutes'," Tanya scoffed, standing with her arms crossed outside of Marl's home some time later. "I don't see what business a man could suddenly have after an execution."

Old Posted 10-30-2017, 08:57 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen

"I only just met the man, I couldn't possibly say." Ulysses is of little mind to speak of trivialities as they reach the house.

As if to answer the sense of urgency that fills him, his mother is stepping out through the front door to meet them. Sicarius lays asleep nearby, sprawled in an undignified heap in the shade of the massive oak that dominate's Marl's yard. The horse bats a single, acknowledging eye at his master's presence, disinterested in aught but a sign of imminent violence.

The old woman meets them on the doorstep, arms crossed.

"That didn't take long."

"We saw what we needed to."

"What, and no valiant rescue? Let me guess, if you had half-a-dozen of those army boys at your back, you'd have stormed the gallows." Her regard flicks to his companion for an instant. "No offense, Tanya."

Ulysses' eyes harden on his mother. He does not remember her being this quarrelsome. "There was nothing to be done. We have some news you'll want to hear, though."

Marl's glare softens. She sighs. "Not a total waste, then. Come in, and let's hear it."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 10-31-2017, 12:06 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #29  
Ulysses seems like a man of action, but just what sort of action, Felix isn't sure. He doesn't much fancy the new turn of things with Casper and his "court," frowning over his thoughts as he enters his home.

Felix tidies up the papers and documents he left only modestly arranged before he went to witness the execution, putting each document in it's proper file, re-stocking his materials, and making sure that certain "other" items are out of immediate discovery should anyone decide knock on his door or glance in his windows. They'd probably just think that I have terrible hand writing and don't know how to draw a fish.

Even so, having to replace any of his books would be a headache.

His work space suitably arranged for the next day, he locks the door and walks to Marl's apothecary.
Old Posted 10-31-2017, 05:51 AM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen

Just as they are sitting down to discuss their plan, there is a knock at the door. Immediately, hands go to weapons, shoulders tensing, before better sense overcomes Ulysses.

"That will be Felix. He said he would join us.

Marl breaths a long, shuddering sigh. "You could've mentioned. Shock like that ain't good for my heart."

Not deigning to apologize, the soldier goes to get the door. The thought occurs to him that Felix could have sold them out -- that would explain his strange delay, but unless owning a sword has become a crime, there's nothing yet for which the guard can indict them. Not that Hadrian probably cares so much for the letter of the law.

He opens the door to find the odd man alone, and admits him wordlessly, closing the door behind.

"Glad to have you, neighbor," Marl says with a brief glance in his direction. "Now let's hear this news."
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 10-31-2017, 04:20 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #31  
"While that son of yours was listening to Hadrian's nonsense, I overheard Amia talking about a little get-together happening at the manor tonight. Sounds like it's gonna be a big one, slaughtering a whole boar for it and all. Would be a shame to sit around like a bunch of daft toads."

Old Posted 11-01-2017, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Desolation Denizen
Marl quirks a brow at Tanya. "What, you want to attack them while they're drunk and fat?" She's not sure the girl is suited for strategic decision making. Pounding skulls like out-of-line shingles, sure. But she's willing to hear her out, at least.
between supposed lovers.
Old Posted 11-02-2017, 12:30 AM Reply With Quote