Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Weaver of Webs
Default   #33  
Chidi tried to hide her surprise at n actual answer that wasn't laced with sarcasm. Perhaps there was a person behind the monster, but she'd learned early in her life to not drop her guard too easily. “So you're a true-to-life bard then, eh? Not exactly the ones I've heard pleasant stories about, but the magic is there. Color me impressed,” Chidi said, raising her arms lacing her fingers behind her head and closing her eyes. “I've heard the name, but I confess, I've never been out of the capital. At least, not in any of my clear memories. This is definitely going to be a learning experience for me. I guess I'll just be seeing it as I'm serving you.”

Chidi sighed, the sarcasm back with a vengeance as though there was a need for it to be doubled for every sentence it was absent. She answered with a rolling of the eyes when the bard's eyes weren't on her and chose to respond instead to the last part. “Well, you are certainly beautiful...” she conceded under her breath, adding in a normal tone a question, “Is that how you'd like me to address you?”

For the first time since meeting Tritonia, she actually smiled, a genuine smile, “Of all of the things you've told me, I find that to be the least believable. You don't strike me as one to want to serve anyone, let alone be tied down to one place. Though, I'll be glad for one less task that's on my list of things to do.” Chidi shrugged, still comfortable while still in the capital. The familiar streets were fading to less familiar streets as they progressed, however, and she knew that it wouldn't be very long before they were in the rural surrounding area. She felt wholly unprepared, given that she'd a.) never been out of the capital and b.) she had nothing required for multiple days out in the wild. The good feeling of jest dissipated with the mention of Nanika. She was going to miss her dearly and this woman was talking about lopping off one of her hands. She decided to not reward her with a proper response asking instead, “So, do you have any jobs lined up for the immediate future?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 10-08-2018, 03:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"Did you not get a taste of bardic magic when you panicked and struck me? Special chords to tug at the mind and bring it into that animalistic 'Fight-or-Flight' panic. It worked rather well. Seeing as how you're hear heeding what I say." Tritonia chimed, before taking a deep breath and waving a hand around while she tried to explain. "Scarlet Emperor. It's a dreary name for the leader of an equally dreary place. I understand bringing misery to people you don't like, but at the same time. You can only stomp on someone before you simply have to put the blade in their heart and move on. He's crotchety and annoying. We won't be seeing too much of him. Be thankful for that."

Flattery was doing its job, and the pale-skinned bard couldn't hide behind a neutral face; A fanged smile cracking along her face before she rolled her neck and let a lopsided head gaze on the Southlander. "Call me what you wish. I'll have to make sure you're dressed for the occasion however if you're so keen on calling me 'Mistress.' There's not enough leather in the world to clad you properly, in my tastes."

"If whomever is marrying me is rich enough, I'll settle down. I'll hike my skirt up when needed. The issue is no one is ever sufficiently rich. You could hand me the hordes of dragons. It's not enough. Never enough." Tritonia said, a small lust for wealth consuming her mind before she shook her head and focused on the bauble she picked up. "One less thing for an indentured servant to do? I feel like that would cut into the profits you could use to free yourself."

The anticipated rustics of rural scenery made their approach and Tritonia frowned. Nature was an abomination. Filthy and tiring. With monsters and other things eager to ruin a perfectly good chance to have a quiet bout of traveling. "Immediate jobs? We have one. I'm going to be playing matchmaker for the one I told you about. Schechita." She let the words sink into Chidi's head and possibly fill her with anxiety before she added with a dry tone. "Don't flatter yourself. I'm not pawning you off to a warlord. Besides. I know for a fact you're not the kind of person he infatuates himself with."
"I just want to come home," said the Astronaut.
"So come home," said Ground Control.
"So come home," said the Voice from the Stars.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort.
He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”
Death sighed. NO, he said,... THERE'S JUST ME.
Old Posted 12-19-2018, 07:11 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #35  
“I...did,” Chidi muttered, lowering her gaze. She'd never felt so low as she had in that moment, but then, at the time she felt completely justified in her reaction. She must not have been a “flight” person because her most basic, most animalistic response was to fight. That, at least, gave her a small amount of pride – but she'd had no control over her actions. “And I assume I'm to remain silent when meeting him? I don't think I'd be of much use in things that go way over my head.”

The smile was more of a relief than anything. Slowly but surely, Chidi was figuring out what made Tritonia tick and she hoped soon they could have a working relationship where Tritonia didn't feel the need to deride her every opportunity that presented itself. She found herself blushing at the prospect of being dressed like that anywhere but the brothel, but then, she'd been a sex worker so more than enough have seen her in leather outfits. Instead she asked with a raised eyebrow, “You're giving me a uniform now? For two hundred gold a week, I'd wear what you wanted me to, anyway, so dress me up.”

Tritonia seemed to be greatly motivated by wealth and Chidi wondered if that was part of the reason she was the way she was. “For what it's worth, I'm sure you'd make cute kids. Cute, sadistic kids,” Chidi said, chuckling a bit at the image, “You gave me a fixed sum of two hundred a week. I'll do all that you ask of me, but I certainly won't complain with less work.” She gave a nonchalant shrug, following behind obediently. Hell, if she was going to be forced into well paid labor, she might as well enjoy it.

Outside of the city, the countryside greeted Chidi with the best of fresh smells and she reflected this by breathing deep with her nose and beaming. “I never got to come out here. It's beautiful...” She shut her mouth to let her master speak to her eventually shaking her head, “Oh, no, no. I wouldn't expect you to match me with someone who's willing to pay you anything. I'm well aware of how low you believe me to be.”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 12-20-2018, 02:29 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"Well, if you were to rear your head and say something foolish, then I would simply have to deny any existence of knowing you while he most likely fillets you into some form of human-skin cloak." It was a rather casual nonchalance in Tritonia's voice that was probably more unsettling, but the bard finally gave in; her words flickering with a bit more distaste. "And that would be a good waste of such lovely Southlander skin."

Tritonia made a mental note to herself to make sure the babble between the two was going to remain at such interesting levels. Rarely was there someone who could make the bard snicker and think, before the bard scanned Chidi up and down slowly, before clicking her tongue - a golden claw reaching out and flicking the girl's chin with the barest of glances. "It's so nice you're willing to wear what I want, and do the things I ask. It's going to make everything so much easier to deal with." A small pause. "When we get somewhere more civilized, if you've behaved you can have a forward on your little payment of gold. So you can frollick in something that doesn't reek of the scents of musk and male...Passions. Urgh."

"If they were even an ounce of my own motivation, I'd pawn them off to someone else. Let them deal with the fruits of my own labor. Probably you, if you were still around. Congratulations. You're a mother now, because I wouldn't want them." Tritonia spat out, waggling her brows and taking long, elaborate strides through the crowd when she saw a small gaggle of humans heading the way they had come to get into the thick of the city. Brushing the chance for their stink to sink into her clothes Tritonia looked back towards Chidi and raised a brow, before rolling her eyes. "Speaking of work, compliment me. I'm feeling oh so insecure. Regale me with how my beauty slays men or something."

Tritonia hated the outside. With a passion. There was a reason humans dwelt in towns and cities, and this was why. The sun beat down on her mercilessly, the layers of caked on makeup beginning to run slowly, and her fine golden hair began to fritz ever so slightly. "Simpleton." Was all she said towards Chidi's admiration of nature, before the bard shook her head. "It's not a matter of your status. If you believe that is something the almighty Shechita of the Sons of Chelm is looking for? You're already misjudging him."

Old Posted 12-31-2018, 09:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #37  
Chidi clamped her mouth shut and nodded, deciding then that when they were in front of him she was going to only answer when spoken to and pray she was never spoken to. If Tritonia was trying to upset Chidi, it was working. Goosebumps speckled her forearms as she imagined the process of said filleting. But, regardless of her intentions, she gave Chidi a fairly decent compliment; “Such lovely Southlander skin” would be a waste as a cloak as opposed to something else. Nevermind that that something else could be on her own living body. Again, she was at a loss for words, colored cheeks and clenching fists saying more than words could.

Chidi could feel Tritonia's eyes on her as she mused about...something. Chidi couldn't place it, but Tritonia's gaze made her look like a predator, eyes latched onto her next prey – the juicy, tender, and trembling former whore. The clicking of Tritonia's tongue, the tingle the gold claw sent down Chidi's spine further instilled this idea and Chidi stopped, frozen where she stood. To this point, the women had been making decent time, their words fueling their feet rather than stopping them, but now they stood, eyes locked. “For two hundred gold a week, I will do anything or wear anything you ask,” she breathed, trying to keep her voice steady. “Forgive me, Mistress, but male passions would be the hardest to detect from my clothing. My specialty was...not that.”

“I'm afraid I'd need more than two hundred to take care of a couple of children,” she finally said, laughing and grateful for the small break in tension. “I'm not exactly a motherly creature, and one of you is going to be demanding all of my attention anyway.” True, Chidi was trying to get on Tritonia's good side, but she'd set parameters in the process. No children. Children not part of the contract. Gorgeous women who might also have the potential to kill are welcome, however. Welcome whenever they liked. “How your beauty slays men?” Chidi asked, raising an eyebrow, “Darling you don't give yourself enough credit. Your beauty slays women. I was disappointed when you wouldn't take me in my room and I don't feel that way about many customers. Now, how was that for a compliment?”

Chidi's spirits couldn't be brought down. She was content enough to a smile lazily creep tot he corners of her lips as they walked, “Yes, you're right. I suppose I am lacking context. I guess I'll just have to see for myself what he might be looking for.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 01-02-2019, 02:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
"Male passions would be the hardest to detect under my clothing...Meh, meh, meh. You lie about as well as I have a chance at winning an award of kindness from a Nun." Tritonia mocked, her voice fake and saccharine as golden orbs remained transfixed on the poor Southlander. Tritonia was akin to a snake, slowly circling. Constricting her coils around her unfortunate victim as the Bard snickered and flashed a set of filed teeth, a tongue flicking across the inside of her canines. "The things I can make you wear. Are you sure you're willing to truly let me dress you as -I- see fit? You're playing a rather dangerous game." She warned with a small airy tone in her voice.

"If you were to be paid 200 coin in order to take care of my children, I would not blame you for 'losing' them. Perhaps near a cliff, or a river." Tritonia said matter of factly as they began to continue to trek down the paths of the Southlands, feet picking up dirt that filled the air around then as they traveled. The conversation seemed to bring them further and futher - The hike back seeming to be moving faster than the solo traverse on her own. And of course the slew of compliments and strokes of her ego only made Tritonia all the more complacent in terms of not lashing out with verbal venom. There was an elated, bloated grin along the Bards face as she softly snickered and rolled her eyes. "Oh, how such a compliment would have freed you from servitude, if I wasn't so -keen- on just shackling you with my own affections." Tritonia said, a playful coo escaping her lips that hid a rather malicious intention for Chidi. She wasn't letting such a precious little token walk free.

Ever.

"The man we're talking about seeks romance in the briefest of terms. He is forcing a hand to wed him, simply for the fact he hungers for money. Money and simple malice in ruining the life of a noblewoman." Tritonia shrugged. "How well do you know of the Sons? How their banditry and swords have caused havoc for the West? When we move closer, simply speak and ask of them, and watch people reel back in fright."

Old Posted 01-31-2019, 02:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Default   #39  
“I spoke nothing of female passions, however...” Chidi said wryly grinning. If she was the prey of a snake in that moment, she was blissfully unaware, seeing the conversation instead as a clever battle of wits. She knew not what sort of plans Tritonia had for her, but at this moment it didn't matter. She was seeing life outside of the city and her normal tasks shifted from being bent over various pieces of furniture to a life of adventuring. Despite how well Nanika took care of her, she couldn't argue with this sort of lifestyle – even if she did have to undergo occasional bouts of pain from Tritonia's bouts of temper. “Honestly? It can't be worse than some of the things I've been asked to wear. I love my body; I see no reason to hide it,” Chidi said with a shrug and a skip in her step, “As long it doesn't hurt me in any way, I see no reason why not.”

Whether it was the sunshine or the gentle breeze wafting over the plains making them look as they were a vast ocean, Chidi's spirits were high. Tritonia's triteness from earlier seemed to dissipate under the torrent of flattery that Chidi was accustoming herself to and she felt as though she might actually be figuring out how to make Tritonia tick in only the most positive of ways. “You wouldn't mind if I 'lost' your children? But then what would become of what would undoubtedly be – at least half – beautiful kids? I mean, surely, at least one would take after you in appearance. You're probably my most beautiful customer to date; it's a pity that you didn't request me in the more traditional sense.”

With that, Chidi raised her eyebrows at her master. It was true, Tritonia had been more keen to take Chidi home than anyone else, though there were one or two who simply offered to buy Chidi from Nanika. Nanika, however, was against slavery and that is what Chidi would have been had she actually been sold. At that time, Nanika simply told them that she could not sell what she did not own. Chidi was, after all, there on her own volition. This time was different, though, for a number of reasons. The first was pay. Pay was offered to Nanika and Chidi, though even then Nanika still did not want to get rid of her. But then there was the threat of physical violence that Tritonia had already more than shown she was capable. In that instance, Chidi was told to make her own choice – as if she really had one. “You have a strange way of showing affections,” she finally said, “I have to ask though, out of all of the whores in Frifta, why did you choose me? It is true I've had some clientele from high places, but I'm not the only one to boast that.”

Chidi shook her head. She had street smarts, sure, but those only extended to the inside of the walls of Frifta. Outside of those walls? Chidi knew close to nothing. She couldn't fight, but she could love. And she knew how to read. That was two steps higher than much of Frifta's population. Literacy was mostly reserved for the noblemen and the occasional noblewoman. Yet, here was a common whore able to read and bearing evidence of an actual decent education. “I'm afraid I know nothing of the Sons. I assume they are terrifying, but I've dealt with terrifying – what would you have me do when we encounter them?”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM Reply With Quote