Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #33  
Deadwaltz had to admit, that watching the two try and defend their virtue with one another and their relationship was probably the most interesting thing she had managed to get out of them so far. The fire in their bellies was gonna erupt at some point, though. In her mind, if anything, they might as well just began the skin-to-skin tango and just get it over with. Deadwaltz crossed her arms however. That's not how things were done here at least. 'Courting' or whatever the more finicky populations in places like this was the way to go. A complete waste of time in Deadwaltz's eyes. Mimicking Kastivi, Deadwaltz snickered and snorted like a boar, her icy eyes rolling and the large barbarian crossing her arms. "Ah repeat mahself. Yet. But that's a talk when you all do the nasty and whatnot." Deadwaltz cooed in response.

The mystery healer had Deadwalt's interests piqued and the rather predatory, inquisitive look on her face made it all to apparent, before the woman placed a hand on her chin and began to scratch in thought; her other hand itching under her chest as she grumbled under her breath for a few brief moments. "Well, ah made mah living killing things -really- good. Ask Wisp." Deadwaltz beamed, taking the assumed compliment from Kastivi and puffing out her chest. "I watched her get swallowed by a dragon, only for her immense bulk and heaving features to choke the beast to death." Wisp quipped, going back to her own doings while Deadwaltz cackled like a loon. "Mah axe just got lodged in their was all. Not mah tits. But yah. I'll do mah best. Fucked for thought on who we got as a healer. The only blokes ah know around here who heal are Gastus. But last ah heard, he ain't right in the head anymore."

"He ended up in the hands of a succubus. Tried summoning her back. Ended up bringin out a horned monstrosity that most certainly was not a succubus. I had been called to assist with that." Wisp croned again, sighing and shaking her head. "That's why I advise against devil and demon summoning, despite the hypocrisy."

The name was mentioned, and Deadwaltz lit up at the mention of the man on the list. "Percival AH! Mah favorite healer. Good one. Grouch. You think healers would be ah lot nicer about the whole getting hurt thing."

While Deadwaltz and Kastivi were locked in conversation, Christoval had moved over towards Wisp, who seemed to look at the young knight's presence with a bit of suspicious - Christoval frowning, and then instantly turning the frown upside down when she gestured to the seat next to her; Christoval plopping down and doing his best to point at Deadwaltz in the most non-noticable way possible- Wisp leaning in and whispering to the boy, whose eyes went wide at her. Christoval whispered back, and the two were lost in their own hushed conversation, though the duo looked towards Kastivi when she began to make her departure speech, the young knight giving her a broad, brightened smile. "I'll see you when Dawn is approaching!" His voice streaked with enthusiasm - A stark contrast to the brooding Wisp who offered a small "Go away, then."

=-=-=--=-=-=D A W N=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Christoval had woken up to his shirt pulled open from his body, and a slew of body paint adorned with symbols he did not recognize, the boy throwing himself out of bed and then turning towards the sole, obvious culprit of the defilement of his body; Wisp sitting on her bed and watching him like a hawk, before she shrugged and offered him a proper morning greeting.

"You only tossed and turned three times in your sleep. That's a vast amount less than normal when I normally watch you at night."

Christoval yawned, blinked and then smeared and rubbed off the body paint; the scowl on his face giving testement to how his mood was going to be so early in the day. "Y-you watched me sleep all night? How are you not tired? Why...Why would you even do that?" Christoval sputtered out, moving over to a washbasin and splashing lukewarm water on his face to try and lighten heavy eyelids. "This was so completely uncalled for, Wisp."

"One, I can't ever sleep in places like this. Too many people to try and kill me in my sleep at night. Second, the symbols were to protect you of course. I would be in deep trouble if my apprentice was found dead. And considering I have no alibi, it's best to not take the chance." Wisp replied, sliding off her bed and twirling her finger around. "Look away. You have Kastivi to stare at now. I don't need eyes prancing on me when I change."

Christoval did as he was asked, before snorting and letting a sliver of snark leak out of his tone. "Because you leave so much to the imagination to begin with..."

"...So you do stare at me when I'm not noticing."

"Th-that's not what I meant!"

Wisp snorted and snapped her finger, the door to the room opening, and the dark mage pulling out her clothing for the day and sliding and tucking everything into it, before she slithered out the door, her voice sing-song as she went down the stairs. "Christoval ~ The young little lecherous knight, who likes to stare at innocent damsels ~"

Christoval was soon dressed himself, and carrying both of the bags, along with his slew of weapons, rolled his eyes. A rough morning already, but he was going to make the most out of it. Come training, he was gonna make sure Wisp got at least one good whack from a practice sword, as a bit of respite for now...

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Deadwaltz was found to be the second of the group to enter the mainhall, the woman munching on a leg of some form of meat while she stomped down; boots clinging with metal jingles from various baubles; her fur cloak wrapped around her like a blanket as she flopped onto a table and closed her eyes. The lot could wake her up when they were ready to be out the door, and the large woman soon snoring loudly enough to make others look at her with annoyance.
"I just want to come home," said the Astronaut.
"So come home," said Ground Control.
"So come home," said the Voice from the Stars.

“And he goes around killing people?” said Mort.
He shook his head. “There’s no justice.”
Death sighed. NO, he said,... THERE'S JUST ME.
Old Posted 03-01-2018, 12:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Percival lifted his eyes from his writing just long enough to see Deadwaltz flop down on the table. A couple of the other customers, the sleep still in their eyes, glared at the snoring woman. Percival continued writing. Her presence didn't bother the healing mage, if only because he didn't notice her name on the list when it was handed to him. The list, he realized, was still in his pocket and he reached for it now – if only to be sure. Breathing a sigh of relief, he pocketed it only to have to put away his journal seeing two of his troop mates.

Arabella Fairfoot waltzed into the room, her Daughter-in-training trailing just behind. Again, he sighed with relief and got to his feet, kneeling down to Ara's level and holding out his hand, “It's good to work with you again. I'd hoped upon seeing your name that our expedition would be a simple one, but then I saw that Wisp's name was there. You're sure that this wasn't a mistake?”

“I'm afraid not. Her apprentice holds hope though; seems to have a head on his shoulders. I'm proud of what she's done with him,” Ara answered with a warm smile, tilting her head back to watch him as he rose back to his feet. The man was tall by human standards. By halfling standards, he may as well have been a giant.

“And your apprentice?” Percival asked, just now looking at Kastivi. The woman in question was wringing her hands, enough to make up for her lack of fidgeting in her feet. “How is she?”

“She is the best apprentice I could have asked for. The Goddess has smiled brighter on her than any I have yet to see. At times I believe this includes even myself,” Arabella was nothing but warmth, not looking to see the blush that she was there on Kastivi's cheeks.

“Ah, so this should be a fairly quick and easy expedition then, yes? I am in dire need of a break. I haven't had one in months...” Percival uttered, jutting his jaw out so he could scratch under his beard. “It looks like Deadwatltz is here too, waiting for her unfortunate party.”

Kastivi cleared her throat and looked down, “Uhm...”

Percival's eyes went to her again, “Yes?”

“She's here for us. She's coming with us,” Kastivi squeaked.
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-05-2018, 12:01 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #35  
Wisp was the first of the less...Desirable party to slide down the stairs, the dark mage letting out a small yawn, and rubbing an eye with a finger as she moved past the rest of the group, only to stop at Deadwaltz lying there on the table of the guild tavern. Shaking her head the woman moved over towards the barbarous girl and snapped her fingers sharply in the blonde's ears, making her jump awake for a moment. "Ah shit. Ah fell asleep again." The barbarian was awoken once more and Wisp coughed softly and turned to the rest of the group. "I assume this is the entire group. Good. We don't have time to train. We should just go." She grumbled, crossing her arms and tapping her foot.

"Ah just got back on mah feet...Lemme have a drink. Or seven..."

Christoval was soon enough gliding down the stairs; red in the face and carrying both his bag and Wisp's, though the expression on his mug was one more filled with determination and readiness than exertion. Sweeping his glance over towards Kastivi, the young knight flashed her a small, pleasant grin and whispered a quick hello, only to notice the other man - Christoval raising a brow before he realized the man was most likely the healer they were waiting for. "Wisp just wants to leave early because she doesn't tip room cleaners."

The truth was out, and Wisp narrowed her eyes, only to sigh and shrug her shoulder, the woman looking over to Percival and snorting. "Oh. It's you. Shouldn't you be retiring? You've been saving people for too long now." She murmured, flaring her nostrils and peering behind the group. People were starting to head up the stairs. They'd find out how much of a miser she was now.

Old Posted 03-07-2018, 12:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Percival paled, knowing that his job was now going to be exponentially more difficult. Here, he thought this quest would be relatively easy. He placed his journal in his pack and slung it over his shoulder, “That's all well and good. I am sure your apprentices will appreciate it as well.”

Kastivi grinned catching sight of Christoval, blushed, and looked down shifting her weight from one hip to the other. Arabella grinned as well, though for a different reason, as she dug around in her pack only to produce two flat, circular plates with holes drilled on either side, “That's alright. We'll train on the road.”

Her apprentice's smile faded to a grimace and her shoulders slouched in response. “Not the weights,” she grumbled, taking the weights. Ara handed over some ribbon, and Kastivi already being well-acquainted with the much dreaded objects began to fasten them to her ankles.

“Well, thankfully, I left behind enough that the cleaners should be more than satisfied,” Arabella said, then fishing for a second pair, then joined Kas in a kneeling position to fasten her own set. Strength, she made it a point to say often, would diminish over time if not consistently put the test. Lest the student surpass the master, Ara always took it upon herself to participate in the training imposed on the younger Daughter. “I'm feeling kind today, Kas; you can take them off on hourly intervals. I don't need you being too sore in times of combat,” she laughed, “And I don't know how long I'd last.”

Percival raised his eyebrows, obviously impressed. Christoval's lack of complaining also left a positive impression. He seemed to be the first of Wisp's pupils that didn't have a bad tongue in him, and it was to his master that he now spoke. Upon seeing Wisp's name on the list, he'd been fully prepared to hate every second of the mission, but when she spoke to him he found that he couldn't disagree, “Ah, would that I could. Not enough healers in these parts these days. I'm needed, unfortunately. Perhaps I should take on my own apprentice,” he mused. “But come, let's go so we can get this over with. I trust you all have checked your maps and properly prepared?”
All that is empty in the drawing should be filled in, the teacher said to us kids. First you sharpen the pencil to fill in the thin whiskers, then you use the thick crayon to fill in the wings with brown, meticulously and without letting the crayon leave the page. Six feet can be traced below the soft belly. Now, breathing is hard to detect on paper, the teacher said to me when I asked, but it is easier to feel it in real life.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-09-2018, 06:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #37  
Wisp sighed and looked over to the boy who was now hefting both bags, and beaming with anticipiation to go towards the great outdoors into adventure, and then towards her hands. She could make him run agility courses again if they got a decent a break along their travels, though her thoughts were interrupted with Percival's voice. "My apprentice will just have to be worked twice as hard then." She mused back towards the healer, the woman shrugging her shoulders. "I have you to mend anything broken." Twisting her back and letting a few vertebrae pop back into their place, the dark mage rubbed where she had stretched and puffed her cheeks. "I've slept in streets comfier than this place. I hate guildhalls. No respect towards veterans who want appropriate accommodation."

Christoval's strength returned the moment he got a flash of smile from the daughter-in-training, his groggy eyes growing less heavy so his bright blue hues could soak in as much as he could of the girl before he had to blink. His resolve swelled in his heart. This was it. Time to actually go somewhere where danger was around the corner, and all the gods and devils in the world wouldn't be able to save whatever tried to harm the lass he was staring at. Glancing at his two bags, and then towards the two Daughters, Christoval sniffled and perked out with a small voice. "Excuse me, Ms. Arabella? If you have another set of weights, could you fasten them to me as well? If I have no training with Wisp, and have to wait for Deadwaltz when we rest, I still wanna keep testing myself."

Deadwaltz was busy readying herself, the woman carrying two swords and peering at the more intricate looking blade, the weapon seemingly locked in it's scabbard with a set of chains with a small lock. The other one was a simple, crude looking thing. A Zweihander of crude, rustic Northmen iron that had seen more than its fair share of combat; Waltz peering at it and giving it a small kiss on the pommel before setting the two swords on her back. "Ah'm ready to bash mahself some good monsters. Ain't gonna be anything big though right? No fun." Waltz boomed, swishing over towards Percival and resting her head on his. "And we got tha' best healer in mah opinion. No deaths today!"

"Not enough healers. Most people want to delve into the lightning and hurling fire." Wisp replied nonchalantly to Percival, eyes looming over towards the Halfling and the apprentice. "At least the road some of us went down was something that requires a clever mind to stay afloat in." The barb put to the back of her head for later in case Arabella needed to be snarky once more, the Dark Mage shrugged her shoulder at Percival. "The Dead whisper the directions. No need for a map. The goblins are near Prayta Monastery. Roads don't exist on the way to that place. They like their privacy."

Old Posted 03-17-2018, 04:34 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Percival saw nothing wrong with working the younglings hard. He'd been worked hard as a lad, and felt himself all the better for it. “Nothing but improvement can come from a good training or strength session--” He'd been ready to tell her that he approved before she mentioned that she might actually break her poor bright-eyed apprentice and he shut his mouth for a moment, pressing his lips together tightly, “I am not here to heal party-bred wounds. I would appreciate it if you didn't make me use unnecessary magics to mend uncalled for breaking.” He took one last swig of his ale before handing over a canteen to the bartender, “I'll pay you to fill it to the top with something heavy.” He turned back to Wisp. It was strange how often he found himself more or less agreeing with her. The bartender disappearing with his canteen, Percival deemed it alright to respond, “Hells, I've slept in caves comfier than this place. Their version of hospitality is rivaled only by those of cannibals.”

Arabella sighed seeing that conversation take place. She knew that Percival was up to any challenge as far as healing went. She'd worked with him in the past, and generally so far as socializing went, he'd always kept to himself silently preparing spells and making sure the party stayed alive. Now, it seemed he'd regressed into alcoholism now tired, a lone healer lost in a sea of warriors. She was all too happy to be taken out of that train of thought by Wisp's young apprentice, “Sadly, I have only two pairs, however, I can take them back at the hour intervals if you'd like. It will be less to carry, and I would appreciate it.” She knelt down unfastening the weights and handed them to Christoval. “May they serve you well,” she said grinning up at him and stood on her tiptoes, loud whispering, “If you need helps with the knots, Kastivi knows how to tie them properly to avoid chafing.”

Kastivi turned red, accidentally catching it and scratched the back of her head turning away. She'd put the weights over the pants, and they were fastened close enough that they didn't rub against her ankles, loose enough that it didn't cut circulation. Instead of responding, she looked to Deadwaltz. She found that she seemed to like the woman almost instantly despite her initial dread. “I'm anxious to see you in action, Deadwaltz. I've heard tales of you, and meeting you in person it's easy to believe them.”

Percival blinked, remembering now that Deadwaltz was not one for personal boundaries. She had none herself and expected none from anyone else, “Well, I'm glad you're putting such high faith in me. I suppose I am in practice and haven't lost anyone for a long while, so I hope that faith is well placed.” He looked to Wisp, traces of a smile hinted at the corners of his mouth, “If there isn't truth in that statement, I don't know what truth is. The healing school is the smallest distinguished universities on this side of the continent there is. At this rate, it seems I'll never retire.” He nodded with approval. No preparations necessary, and her words matched up with his conclusions at study the night prior, “Very well. Can they lead you the way? I believe preparations have been made and we are ready.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 05:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #39  
"Essentially it wouldn't be me breaking him. It would be what I summoned to have his agility training begin." Wisp said, a rather malicious smile escaping her face as a small pit of shadow formed in her hands, the braying of some beast leaking out from her palm, before she closed her hand into a fist; the inky spot leaving as soon as it came in. "I simply work him half to death because no one else is gonna give him leeway when he becomes...A knight." She said, sticking her tongue out and shuddering. "I'd rather keep him for myself. I'd give him the metal plate and a title myself, if he is so craven for it." While the Tender began to fill the healer's canteen, and pulled out her own. "When you can, Tender. Sweet Water, if you would be so kind." Turning her head towards Percival, the Dark Mage crossed her arms and nodded. "The company of demons is preferable. And I do speak from experience."

Bending down a little to take the weights from the Halfling, Christoval nodded at her and held them in his hand for a moment, the comment about chafing whisking over his head for a brief moment. Slowly but surely however, Arabella's comment began to click in his head, and the face went from a light pink, to a deepened crimson as it took hold on his mind. His thoughts turned from the weights to the thoughts of Kastivi being that close to his person, and soon enough the crimson in his face almost went purple from sheepishness. "Uh...Ahem. Err, I'm sure I can tie them too." Was all he could sputter, shooting looks at both Daughters. He wished he could have burrowed his head in the sand, but it was too late. The Damage was done. For now he throw the weights around his neck and fastened them like a necklace, the boy already sweating from the strain.

Deadwaltz leaned into Percival, letting her body ooze over him while she addressed Kastivi with a large, boorish smile, and breath that reeked of salted meat and stale ale that wafted into the healer's nose (the poor bastard.) "Ah! Ah'll make sure to put on mah best show when I rip an' tear them green folk's head from their shoulders. Ah could probably crush one in muh thighs too, but the last time ah did that, Percival was there and Ah saw him get stiff if yer catch mah drift." Deadwaltz boomed with laughter, and the barbaric woman pushed herself from the Healer and itched herself. "Hrrrn...Ah wonder if yah magic folk can magic away mah fleas."

Deadwaltz then addressed Percival with a shrug. "Ah ain't seen any other healer last like yah do, mah sir. Compliments earned and whatnot. Ah'm hoping we all make it out. Ah hate seeing people get hurt." Waltz frowned and wrinkled her nose, shooting an iron glance at Wisp, who returned it with a cold, dead stare - The Dark Mage shrugging her shoulders, and prattling with Percival. "I considered the path of healing myself. Fates change. I can lead the way, but we go at my pace, and I won't hesitate to leave people behind so the Wodnik can eat you."

=-=-=-=

Wisp took off at a rather hectic pace, the skies a morose shade of grey with the faint hint of rain on the horizon. A few paces down the town was where the neer-do-wells were dealt with; the trees littered with a few hanging, swinging bodies that marked people as thieves and murderers; the Dark Mage stopping and tilting her head towards a few of them, before carrying on.

Old Posted 03-17-2018, 05:45 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
The party, not expecting Wisp to actually hurry had to jog to catch up to the dark mage. This was the first time Kastivi was seeing town in the daylight and she looked around taking in the sights. It was a pale day, clouds preventing all but glimpses of the sun's rays, still being low in the sky. The early morning mist still hung over the town and most houses were still locked against the night, its inhabitants not yet stirring. Kastivi put a hand to her hair, dismayed at the effect the moisture had, her hair springing to life.

Arabella had seen this place dozens of times, and was for not the last time grateful to be leaving its borders. However, there was a spring in her step, with her favorite weather guiding her path with a distinct lack of extra weights on her back or on her ankles. She paid the bodies no mind, save for the fleeting thought of wondering how many of those condemned were actually innocent of the crimes they paid for. “It's a good day for travel,” she mused out loud, reveling in the nice chill the mist left on her skin. The colder days meant the bodies smelled less, so that was yet another benefit.

“Travel, yes. Traveling out of this hell-hole,” Percival muttered, scratching his beard. “That uh, thing that Deadwaltz said earlier? I didn't – ah, I didn't. I was never more flaccid in my life.” He was still bitter at Deadwaltz for bringing up things he thought would die in time. But then, he'd never imagined traveling with Deadwaltz again.

“Thank you for that valuable information, Percival,” Arabella said, laughing. “Kastivi, pick up your feet more, you'll wear the soles of your shoes down dragging them like that.”

Kastivi sighed, but did as she was told. It was for the better anyway. She would get more benefit from the weights lifting her feet than not, and Ara was right (as usual) about the soles of her shoes. She'd taken to following along behind the group, half hoping that Christoval would do the same, but knowing that he'd more than likely linger close to his master, and therefore the healer. He seemed to enjoy having someone as cynical as himself around, and Kastivi expected he would be striking more conversations with Wisp than she, Ara, or Christoval. “Uhm, Wisp? Should you be messing with the dead like that? Isn't it ah...”

“Of course she should,” Percival said, drawing his cloak closer about him, “She uses dark magic. The rest of us folk, just...we shouldn't question. She could very well be communicating with them for all we know. Dark magic is...well, it works in mysterious ways.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #41  
Deadwaltz didn't need to much of an effort to keep up with Wisp, the larger woman's long tree trunks called legs keeping the hurried stretch with relative ease, the woman draped in her cloak while she stoppped every now and then to glance upwards towards the sky, sniffing the air and huffing. No scent of monsters in the air. No sulfurous odors of evil afoot. It was going to be the most boring of travels, wasn't it? At least the mist in the air was refreshing and cool; each step Waltz occasionally opening her mouth to gulp at the moisture in the air, and exhaling with delight. "Ah miss this kinda weather in the North. Too cold down here. It makes mah ass sweat too much." Waltz whined.

Christoval snickered and soldiered on with both two bags, weights, and whatever else he had mustered and hidden in his own person, the boy following behind Percival and soaked with perspiration already. Not that he was complaining. If anything, it earned him the rights to actually complain when he needed to, and he looked over at the Healer, and then towards Waltz, before addressing the former. "I find that hard to believe. You seem like the sort of guy who would wanna be wrapped up in those arms." He said, voice just audible enough for Percival to hear, and not Waltz. For fear she'd take him literally. Christoval looked down at his own boots and mimicked Kastivi, lifting his feet up on top of his own burdens. Any tips he could muster from others would help, right?

Wisp stopped when Kastivi addressed her meddling with the dead, and shot herself over towards the daughter, before offering out a hand and smiling. "Disrespectful? Is that the word you're looking for? Or was it dangerous. The dead are the least dangerous you can come across. If you want dangerous, I'll have you come with me when we rest for the night." She croned, narrowing her eyes at Kastivi. "There are worse things to come across. The soul of a murderer just asking to be heard isn't one of them." She paused and looked around, her anger and nasty look growing worse and worse. "And look, you've delayed us a few precious seconds. That's all it takes for an arrow to pierce the throat of my apprentice. Would you like to address the guild for that one if it ever happened?"

Christoval moved towards the two, and placed a hand on Wisp, getting her attention, and then giving her a small, gentle push towards the direction she had been going initially, huffing and pouting. "We can't bicker now. We just started, Wisp. Can we just keep marching?"

"Fine."

Old Posted 03-17-2018, 06:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
“Again, more useful information. You know, I really should be writing this down,” Arabella said, a mischievous grin blooming. “So you come from the north then, Deadwaltz? What brings you midland? Kastivi here is from the southern coastal nations, I'm sure she can tell you a thing or two about sweat.”

Kastivi had been focused on her feet as if looking at them would prevent her from dragging them, but she looked up hearing her name, “Well, yeah, but you can sweat in any climate if you work hard enough, and Ara can tell you a bit about that.” Arabella chuckled. Her apprentice thought she worked her hard; it was cute.

“Could be worse, Kastivi. I could make you carry my bag as well. The Goddess knows you could use the training, and the young knight over here is taking it without complaint.”

Kastivi kept her mouth shut after that. Percival would be lying if he said he wasn't at least mildly entertained. What a rag tag group of people they had going with them this time. Sure, he'd been with many groups. But two pyromancers, a knight, a barbarian, and a dark magician? All with these personalities? They blended together in a strange, but satisfactory, way and despite Watlz's bad breath and lack of personal boundaries, he would be okay with traveling with them. Which was good, because he didn't have much of a choice. “Ah, so you base everything on appearance, young knight? I will keep that in mind when I am determining the severity and therefore priority of wounds...”

Kastivi raised her eyebrows, biting back a laugh. Never a good thing to be threatened by your healer. After all, when the quest turned into a nightmare, one's life was in the healer's hands. She made it a point on every quest to be kind to the healers as she knew how rare a breed they were. It seemed she needed to be still kinder to the dark mage who she seemed to have offended. She gulped with the dark mage's offer, sheepishly shaking her head. She did not want to see dangerous. “I'm sorry,” she squeaked, turning her eyes to the ground.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #43  
"Writing is for milk drinkers. Ah remember anything the maces don't knock outta mah head." Deadwaltz countered, snickering and looking down. Way down, towards the Halfling. She was so smol, and if it wasn't for her more cultured tone of speaking, she would have mistaken Arabella for a scholar's child or something similar. "Ah came down to the Midlands because yah lot can't fight monsters properly. All this guilding and planning. Yah should just send your biggest people to bash them like ah learned how to." Deadwaltz snorted and soured her face at Kastivi, though it was more due to the sun's glare than distaste, and placing her hands on her hips, Waltz shook her head. "Ah was in the South once. Ah had to go naked. Too hot. Then sunburns. Mah ass looked like a winterberry."

"Yah kiddos don't know the meaning of work. Yah got weights on yahself. Ah wanna see you do Northern work. Drag ten logs over a mountain so yah can have enough fire so the tribe don't freeze. That's work." Deadwaltz replied with a small shrug and a small, humble little smile.

Christoval was trodding like a true champion, and looked over towards the Halfling when the mention of a knight was heard. "I can manage another bag if it's needed." He offered, looking towards the three with a nonchalant smile. Kastivi looked like she was doing a decent amount of work in his opinion, though the Boy would have rather imagined her lavish in wealth, and not having to lift a finger. Kastivi was a gorgeous thing and didn't need to sully her hands with anything, if he could help it. Percival's threat however snapped him out of his fevered dream, and Christoval decided to take the threat head on. "That's provided I get hurt. First thing I learned is not getting hit is a priority." He paused and shrugged at the man. "The other one I learned is monsters have a knack for slicing up the healers first. I'll be sure to protect you. You seem to need it."

Wisp snickered and brought a hand up to cover her mouth, looking to gauge Percival's reaction; All the while making sure she continued to torment Kastivi as much as she could without earning the Halfling's ire. "Apologies? Some things don't accept those. A Dark Mage can be one of them if they're irritated enough." A malevolent grin stretched across her features, and Wisp looked over at the Halfling. "With your permission, I think the young daughter should witness a display of my arts at some point. No damage to her, of course. Some things can be permanent, and I'll keep my demonstration to simple summonings, that can poofed back to the Abyss."

Old Posted 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
“I happen to enjoy a warm mug of milk on cold winter evenings,” Arabella said simply, “Don't worry, Deadwaltz, the things that do managed to get knocked out of your head with maces I will have happily recorded for you.” Where another person would have pat Deadwaltz on the back, Arabella couldn't reach so she settled for a wry smile. Here, however, her face turned a bit more serious, “Not all who are big wish to fight and not all who are small should be underestimated. You have seen me fight before; I like to think that I at the very least hold my own. As far as handling things in the Midlands, it seems have been getting darker recently. I assume something larger is at work here, but I can't be certain. It's all talk presently. As far as being in the South goes? I'll be thankful I decided not to settle there.”

Kastivi looked down. She always perceived herself to be a hard worker, whether in the fields or on the road with Arabella, she took everything that was thrown at her. Sure, once in a while complaints were warranted, but she did work hard. In fact, half of her training with Ara had been to restrain herself, which was something Ara had never before had to deal with. She had a hard time instructing the novice how to keep her powers toned down rather than simply trying to summon them up. They were always right there just below the surface. Even in the chill of the morning fog, Kastivi was warm, and any that got close to her could feel heat radiating from her skin. “I...I can manage it, thank you, Christoval,” she said finally, keeping her head bowed so as not to earn more attention from the dark mage.

Percival narrowed his eyes, but kept his cool, one of his hands reaching down for the flask he'd had filled at the guild hall, “If they are sentient, you're right. And spells that don't cause excess pain take a moment to cast, so you are correct. I will need protecting then for the sake of you and your friend's lives. But do not underestimate me, good knight. I have some offensive spells up my sleeve as well and do not intend for you to be completely beside yourself in battle. I look forward to your protection as much as you should look forward to continue seeing your friends alive.” He took a small swig from his drink, winced a bit, and went in for more, “I think it best we remain on friendly terms, yes?”

Arabella seemed more than content to let her apprentice flounder under the gaze of the dark mage. After all, the dark mage did speak truth. Not every creature they came across had reason enough to accept apologies or peace treaties. Kastivi, on the other hand, was stuck trying to duck out of said gaze, wishing she could go back to stealing quick glances to the knight. Instead, she had to hope that the dark mage would spare her. She said nothing, hoping that she would get bored and move on, choking when Arabella answered her question, “I think it would be a good learning experience for her. Yes, go ahead with that when we rest.”

The party was now on the outskirts of town, passing the bodies. Beyond the town's borders lay a forest, one that they seemed to be heading straight into. Based on what Kastivi had overheard at the guild hall, there were stories about this forest; stories, that soon she would soon see if there was any truth behind.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 07:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #45  
Finding herself a bit lost for words, Deadwaltz coughed for a moment. Did the Midlanders not realize small jabs at them like that? Or was the milk drinking just an insult rooted in fact? She didn't press further, and Waltz returned Arabella's grin with one of her own, the larger woman rolling her shoulders to keep them from going stiff. "Ah seen you mow down the ankles and shins of ah lot of people. It's why ah was also happy seeing you here. Ah also didn't realize your apprentice was Wisp's lover." She said, grunting and snickering. "Ah hope not. Things is bad enough here. Ah don't like all the work ah can get. Means bad omens. Yah see the people in the South though? Nice enough. Just don't like the weather."

Christoval frowned. It was bad enough he was watching Kastivi get downtrodden on all sides, but his master was driving the nails into her psyche hard enough. Sucking in an excess of air, the boy was gonna try and talk to Wisp when the time came. And hopefully not end up a newt or whatever the rumors were about Dark Mages. All he had heard from them were the peasant rumors, and while Wisp didn't fit the original billing, there was a sliver of him that was inclined to believe the tales. "The moment you can't handle anymore, lemme know. We're a team right now. Training or not we gotta watch each other's backs out here."

It was Deadwaltz herself that spoke up on the Boy's behalf; Christoval opening his mouth, only to shut it when the Barbarian was speaking, her words shouted out towards Percival. "If yah lot are gonna wave your threats around, I'm gonna smack both of you, and then mah feet are gonna be walking with a pair of man-shoes, cause mah feet are gonna be up your ass." Huffing, and scowling, the Barbarian flared her nostrils. "We in monster lands now. Bickering makes monsters happy. Easier to eat us."

Christoval managed to eke out a small response in his own when Waltz had said her fill, giving Percival a look that looked almost as good of a glare as if it had come from Wisp herself. She was growing habits on him. "I can considering working terms, at the very least, sir."

Wisp rubbed her hands together and pondered what exactly was gonna be brought into being so the younger daughter could learn. While she was more than happy just terrifying the girl, she did have some semblance of a heart, and bringing something she could learn from into being was also on her mind. If anything, her patron being summoned into being would be a fitting course of action, if only because Wisp had...Business with it in the first place. "I would start with at least casting your best protections on her then, Arabella. I can't do everything, despite me wishing it were so. And what I'll do will require concentration."

The forest was immense, and more dense than the party anticipated. The well traveled road became more narrow; from a bumbling path that several carriages could travel comfortably together, into something more akin to hiking paths that had been left for nature to reclaim. The bird sung a lovely song in the air; a cacophony of chirps while other critters rustled in the bushes; A squirrel hopping onto the path, only to stop and stare at the oncoming group - Wisp huffing and flaring her nose. "Tree-rats..."

Old Posted 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Arabella could see the confusion growing on Deadwatltz's face at her lack of noticing the insult. The truth was, she did know that it was an insult, it was just a matter of disregarding it. “Well, Deadwaltz, I was pleased seeing you here too, and I'm glad that despite your not being on the list that you decided to join us on our humble expedition. Unfortunately, there are more than a few of these bad omens about, though I do not yet know where they point.” The halfling's happy spirit didn't seem to diminish as the party made their way deeper into the forest. On the contrary, she seemed to not mind any of the others in the party, including the dark mage who she had exchanged unpleasant words with the night before. She was determined to make this quest a success, and if the dark mage was willing to teach her apprentice a thing or two, she would be all the better for it. Not all magic was light, and the same went for fire magics. When used wrong, it could become as dark as the black magic. Kastivi needed to see. The last thing she needed was protection.

Kastivi shifted her pack on her shoulders. It was a heavy pack, but she knew that as the journey wore on it would get lighter. Food rations, after all, were finite and her load would lessen as they were consumed. Her spirits, unlike her master, were low, and it took all of her concentration to make sure that she kept lifting her weight laden ankles high enough that each step wouldn't drag. Feet dragging soon became an impossibility as the trail grew narrower, less maintained. She wondered idly who it was that created this path, and what business they had in the forest, or if it would eventually dwindle down to nothing. Merchants would obviously have a tough time getting through here, and she expected that one the other side (if indeed there was one) there would be a completely different culture. She'd seen that before, once, when crossing the mountains. Two very different peoples separated by some geologic divider would have two completely different mindsets despite a close proximity. She smiled up at the knight, “I won't get stronger if I am handheld through it all, now will I? I feel like that is something you know well by now.”

Percival clamped his mouth shut. Deadwaltz was right, of course, despite how crude she was. But then, the truest of words are often spoken by the least educated of minds and her lack of eloquence made her no less intelligent. He'd seen her action before, and there was no denying her talent. “Alright, alright. I was merely proposing a cease fire, was all.” Even as he said this, his hand was going back to his flask so he could take one last swig before placing the precious liquid back in its place on his hip. “Then, I eagerly await your conclusion, sir knight-in-training.”

“I cannot give her anymore than she has herself. I can watch the confrontation and come to her aid if things get dire, if that is suggested, but this is a field I know little about,” Arabella answered, somewhat baffled at her animosity towards squirrels. Ara saw them as harmless, and occasionally, fun to watch. The creature had to be given some credit for living this long in a forest infested with monsters.

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-17-2018, 11:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Barrel of Monkeys
Default   #47  
Deadwaltz's trodding along became more concise and the woman's face drew to something more akin to a serious, determined look on her face. Waltz had always hated forests, even up north where the pines surrounded villages. It was the perfect tool for things to hide in, and as much as Deadwaltz would hate to admit, the barbarian was on too many bad ends of an ambush to care to remember. Each time it was an atrocious affair and she was pulling arrows out of her body. "...Ah was supposed to be on the list. Did they not add me?" Waltz huffed. Typical Midlanders. "Ah'll just have to clobber the clerkboy then. Good thing ah like bashing things more than the money for bashing." Pointing towards one of the rocks, Waltz looked at Arabella. "Ah hope the omens don't mean anything. Ah ain't cut out for omens and prophecies and that. Gods can shove themselves in the ass. Ah go mah own way."

Christoval's trek finally became something more akin to a challenge; the boy weaving and ducking through bush, as not to get his bags stuck in the thick of everything. The boy's trot became an awkward dance through the forest and finally, Christoval decided on trying to offer the weights back to Arabella. "I need to make sure our stuff isn't spilled out, would you mind?" He pleaded, finally looking over to Kastivi and giving her a nod. "I'm just trying to be my chivalrous self is all. I understand what you mean though." He beamed, wiping a glistening brow with his arm and exhaling. Sweat soaked into his eyes and made them a shade of pink, and his cloak was becoming hotter and hotter with each step. Still, he had to press on. "Gonna be a sore night, that's for sure." He mused to himself with a small chuckle.

Situation defused with Percival, Christoval did his best to ignore the Healer for now. His presence was irking, and the constant slugging of alcohol was a problem and he knew it. He had seen what happened to militia men who had to be on the field and were either sloshed, or recuperating for it, and it usually ended with farmers digging ditches for them. Mustering the courage to speak out, Christoval decided to address is. "Would you prefer water, sir? Alcohol diminishes the soul.

"I wouldn't wanna taint your soul with forbidden knowledge. Your goddess would frown on that, would she not?" Wisp teased, looking towards the Halfling and smirking. Harmless banter, but she had yet to get under the mentor's skin today. That began anew on this moment. For now her attention was on the squirrel, and snapping her fingers, the Dark Mage sent a bolt of sickly purple energy towards the squirrel, which prompted it to retreat into the woods.

Old Posted 03-18-2018, 01:18 AM Reply With Quote  
Weaver of Webs
Kastivi always liked the forests they'd traveled through, despite the dangers they presented. The southern nations had trees, if you could call them that, but never like this, never with trees ancient enough to have been able to bear witness to the wars of eld. To her, each tree represented a miracle, something ancient and living and persevering. She'd be like the trees herself. She'd last through anything if it meant even sheltering her friends from the winds. Casting a glance to Christoval, she bit back the faintest of smiles. Yes, I will fight my hardest for them...

Arabella fumbled in her breast pocket for a moment and brought out the list. She wasn't sure why she still had it, honestly, but here she could show the barbarian, “Here it is. Again, I'm glad you're here despite some dunderhead at the guild hall.” Ara knew in her heart of hearts that with Deadwaltz there the party had an even higher chance of survival. Of them all, she probably had the most kills under her belt, but then, diplomacy didn't seem to be one of her strong suits. “Let's call for a brief break,” Ara answered the knight, “It's my turn for the weights, and it'll give Kastivi a well-earned break.” The girl grinned and sighed with relief as they came to a standstill and she crouched down to unfasten the weights, promptly handing them over to Arabella who put them in her pack.

“Well, you seem to be well on your way to becoming the most excellent of knights,” Kastivi said with a slight blush, keeping her eyes on the ground. “Yeah I'll say. Weight day is never easy on the legs.”

“It's not meant to be,” Ara chimed in, grinning.

“My soul is already gone, given to all the greedy adventurers over the years, kid. But fine, I'll save it for camp if you're that set on seeing me miserable,” Percival grumbled situating his flask back at his hip and pulling out his canteen. He took off the lid and held it out for Christoval to smell if he so chose, “It's water, see?”

“Actually, not our goddess. She encourages interdisciplinary learning. It's the only reason I know the two healing spells I know. Admittedly, I pursued fire-dancing more fervently than any other discipline, so I know less than I should,” Ara answered bluntly, acknowledging the attempt and promptly brushing it off as she watched the squirrel skitter back into the underbrush, “I actually greatly encourage it for my apprentice, so long as she doesn't get hurt.”

Even insects breathe.

-Rawi Hage, Cockroach
Old Posted 03-18-2018, 10:12 PM Reply With Quote