Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default Yo, can we talk about supplies for a second?   #1  
Okay so here's the dealio. I recently switched majors so now instead of boring marketing, I'm actually going to be doing arty things now. That being said, I'm required to take a bunch of classes with mediums I've never ever used before. I've only ever worked with colored pencils and digital media.

SO. I'm wondering what would be a good 'starter' kit for me. Brand names, items, anything. *u*

I have some old Prismacolor colored pencils. And I mean old. They're broken, like 15 are missing, it's cray cray. Other than that I have like maybe 2 nice drawing pencils and mechanical pencils. 8D

Tell me to buy things! :D -flies around-
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 02:18 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
buy everything? do you need this for class specifically or is this just extras? i am quite certain if it is class you will be given a list with the class mission at the begining of the course
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 02:31 AM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #3  
No just in general so I have things to practice with at home. And 'everything' doesn't help someone who doesn't have a very thorough knowledge of what is good and isn't. I've checked online and I have a hard time trusting customer reviews, because a lot of companies pay people to give reviews.

o3o
I just don't want to buy something and then find out later that I could have gotten a much better brand or something.
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 02:41 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
well i don't count, i use anything and everything, hell, i paint with nailpolish and use sidewalk chalk for pastels and mix gell foodcoloring into stuff
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 02:49 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #5  
i feel if you are inhibited by brands and types you cannot truely make all the art you have potential to make
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:06 AM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
I'm just talking to start out. xD I don't plan on limiting myself, but I would like to get a basic understanding of materials I would be working with in the class setting, that's all. That being said, unfortunately in terms of good quality products, brands are kind of important. >>
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:22 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #7  
if it is beginning then go with crayola and work your way up i guess
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:34 AM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Well I'm not that much of a beginner. As I stated in my opening post I've used prisma pencils but that's about it. But I guess I'll just look around somewhere else online and see what I can find.
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:42 AM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #9  
sorry dude
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:43 AM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
I like charcoal, but just a warning it is really messy. I use a mixture of non permanent setting spray and hair spray for the final coat, I prefer charcoal made from willow, it doesn't crumble like some of the cheaper ones and can have a good range of shading.

What sorts of mediums are you interested in? And what is your price range and space? Because throwing clay pots requires a lot of money, and space, while sculpting 1 foot figures or painting dolls doesn't need much more than storage and drying space along with a desk space.
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 01:33 PM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #11  
I tried charcoal once in like middle school lmao it was awful. Id like to learn how to properly use it though. C:

Im not looking for suppliea for anyhing of that undertaking yet lol. To start with id like to find out about getting some good watercolors and acrylic paint as well as brushes, and maybe some pastels and charcoal. And some modeling clay for small practice stuff. If you've worked with any of those and have any helpful tips, you can feel free to toss that info my way too lol
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
If you're into pencils and stuff, Derwents are nice. Not so much for colors, though; they're a bit more muted and softer. For colors, I'd go with Prismacolors.

You might also need a nice blender. I forgot what those are called -- little pointed rolls of paper.

As for wet media, acrylics are usually the way to go; they're versatile. Depending on how serious you are about the painting, you might also want to go for gloss or a kind of thickener ( I keep forgetting names). Don't forget about gesso for priming.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 08-03-2013, 03:21 PM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #13  
I've never heard of Derwents, I'll check them out! And I like Prismas, I used them in hs and stuff, but I need to save up to get a new set. xD

Ohh I've seen those but I never knew fully what they were for 8D

I'll look into the gloss/primers but I've never heard of gesso, honestly. o3o I'll look into it.

Thanks, Espy!
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 07:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Lynx Rufus
Charcoals are fun once you know how to use them, hence why i use a lot of working spray so as to not make it so messy. The same with Pastels, I use Prismacolor pastels and there setting spray which is called a fixative. They are both good quality and pastels when mixed with charcoal make beautiful drawings.

Charcoals typically use an outline, done with a charcoal pencil, and then layers of charcoal bricks or sticks with spray in between layers. When mixing with pastels make sure to use the fixative in between the layers of charcoal and pastel.

I don't play with clay, that is Batty's area so you may want to ask her.
Old Posted 08-03-2013, 09:14 PM Reply With Quote  
TWIGNIFICIENT PIXELATOR
Default   #15  
Thanks for the tip, Tiva~ c:

I'll have to send Batty a message then. o:
Old Posted 08-04-2013, 02:21 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
I like how we seem to specialize in different things, haha...
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 08-04-2013, 02:55 AM Reply With Quote