Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

It Won't Stop
Default   #145  
don't encourage the children

Old Posted 12-04-2018, 09:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
You don't believe kids should grow up with a healthy appreciation for STEM?
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-04-2018, 09:56 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #147  
absolutely not lmao

Old Posted 12-04-2018, 10:02 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Coffee and candles and cats, yay!

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 12-04-2018, 10:13 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Default   #149  
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
Coffee and candles and cats, yay!
"TWO OF MY FAVOWITE THINGS!"
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 12-04-2018, 10:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
you underestimate my stupidity in html and css, coda.

also, server costs.

tumblr could've just moderated their shit, but no, they have to ban nsfw content, which sex workers rely on, on a day that's very important to sex workers. never mind the fact that people rely on commissions of nsfw for money.

all this because of apple. fuck apple.
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 11:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #151  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
you underestimate my stupidity in html and css, coda.

also, server costs.

tumblr could've just moderated their shit, but no, they have to ban nsfw content, which sex workers rely on, on a day that's very important to sex workers. never mind the fact that people rely on commissions of nsfw for money.

all this because of apple. fuck apple.
Free servers are totally a thing, though they might have content restrictions. And paid hosting can be REALLY CHEAP -- the hosting provider I use is $7/mo if billed monthly, or $4/mo if billed yearly. (I really ought to go ahead and switch to yearly billing.) Of course I only use that for really basic content like my resume and hosting my Ludum Dare games. For day-to-day use I actually host a server from my home Internet connection. This is easier than it sounds.

Unfortunately, no, Tumblr actually CAN'T moderate their stuff. There's WAY TOO MUCH OF IT for humans to monitor and as the current flagging chaos proves it's insanely hard to automate it with any level of accuracy. I agree that it's ridiculous, and I think their old policy was probably fine, but I imagine they wouldn't have changed the policy if some business consideration hadn't made it relevant -- maybe the cost of enforcing the policy as it stood was too hard, or maybe it was too hard to enforce it, or maybe there was legal pressure in some jurisdiction, or maybe the existing moderation system was getting abused or wasn't catching enough violating content. But moderation wouldn't have been the answer.

What does this have to do with Apple, though? It's Verizon you should be getting pissed off at, since they own Tumblr. As far as I know, Apple has nothing to do with it?

EDIT: Though I can't really say a whole lot about your HTML/CSS skills. That, at least, could be a valid point.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 05:17 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Apple and Verizon are both playing a part in the larger scheme of what this incident represents.

Apple taking the Tumblr app down was a notable trigger, and considering there was not even a month between that happening and the Tumblr announcement, it can't be reasonably be crossed off as a related event. Apple has a history of heavy restrictions on all of its apps that are questionable in how it affects both the market on the whole and the freedom of groups to truly make the games/apps/content they want while still being available to as many people that may want them as possible.

Verizon IS at fault because they were going to eventually make this move anyway, but Apple getting involved sped it up, as well as opened the doorway to discuss how this Tumblr nonsense relates to the big picture shift of any and all notable websites/apps/whatever being pressured into fitting the cookie cutter expectations of a clean and family friendly internet that pushes anything questionable or mature into the deep dark depths never to be touched by people with any moral integrity.

Old Posted 12-05-2018, 06:24 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #153  
Ah, okay, I was wondering what the specific business rationale was, and that explains it. Thanks.

Old Posted 12-05-2018, 06:53 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i do not have a paypal, nor am i particularly willing to get one right now as a result of me being underage.

i do know that there's free web hosting around, which is actually needed for an update-able ukagaka. i really ought to make my own, i'm currently relying on someone else to actually transfer the files for the ukagaka to the website. though, i've no idea how well that will go over.

i'm marginally annoyed at the fact that sites nowadays require a phone number. sure, it's security measures.
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 07:42 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #155  
i'm equally bothered by the push to eliminate any sense of anonymity from websites, which is a related subject

Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
don't blame you, but some users with the power to be anonymous are twats. it's one of the downsides of anonymity.

also, had some gutrot. probably going to be on the motherly niagra falls this week. my back still hurts.
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:14 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #157  
anonymity is a necessity of free speech.

i will take some twats.

Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i'll take all the twats on. 1v1 fox only final destination no items. we'll see who wins.
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:18 PM Reply With Quote  
It Won't Stop
Default   #159  
hell yeah, that's the spirit

Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
if they can't run smash ultimate in a switch emulator on the highest quality possible, i'll take 1v1 with Rayman in Brawlhalla.
Old Posted 12-05-2018, 08:21 PM Reply With Quote