Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #4081  
Just realized I'm gonna need to wash all my fabrics before I do anything with them...
May have to try smuggling them in to use the washing machine at the museum... >.>
(Tbh, that's mostly how I've been washing my work clothes ever since the landlords switched out to the bluetooth/app run machines...just throw a pair of jeans and black shirt(s) in with a load of cleaning and dish rags.)

Or maybe I can just hit a laundromat on Saturday if I can dig up enough quarters...

In other craft news, have decided to pick up some silver holographic vinyl to do some experiments with to test durability and maybe do some holo scale fingerless gloves later if it works...
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 07-18-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old Posted 07-18-2019, 03:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
That'd be awesome. I mean, it has galaxy... and sharks... *_*
We have only one store that sells fabric (two if you count IKEA's home decor department) and most of it is either folklore stuff with edelweiss or something grandma would use. That, and cheap looking polyester for children's costumes.
Old Posted 07-19-2019, 09:08 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4083  
Well shit. For sure I need to send you fabrics! O.o
Granted, other than overpriced af specialty quilt shops, JoAnn is the only fabric store here, but we have a lot of really cute fabrics.

Edit: What is the smallest amount of fabric you would want/could use?
Mainly curious because after taking measurements, idk how much shark fabric, if any,I'll have left...
Last edited by Kaderin Triste; 07-19-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old Posted 07-19-2019, 09:13 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Yeah, it drove all other stores out of business with cheap prices years ago, and then suddenly it became ridiculously expensive, charging around double of what it did when there was competition. Which is why I actually buy from IKEA far more often, even though that's technically a furniture store (I love ikea's cotton - easy to sew and affordable, albeit only solid colors).

The edelweiss stuff sells quite well here, because most female sewers tend to make tailored Dirndl dresses and similar traditional costumes, whereas they usually buy ready made everyday clothes. Both our community college and the community sewing room that sadly closed down some time ago had dirndl classes, neither offered quilting.

I'd say the smallest is around 4 inches maybe. Not that I wouldn't use smaller scraps if I have them lying around, but half-an-inch pieces sound hardly worth mailing (especially with international postage).
Old Posted 07-20-2019, 03:28 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4085  
I should look up a dirndl dress. I know I've heard of them, but can't picture them.
If this country wasn't so bassackwards, I'd say you should totes move here and we could take quilting classes together. XD
There are a few specialty quilt shops as well as a quilting guild here and I think all of them offer classes. But quilting isn't my top priority, so it'll probably be a few years before I really start looking into it...

And that's good to know. Will probably save up fabrics to ship a decent amount so the shipping cost will be more worth it rather than just sending a few pieces...
Old Posted 07-22-2019, 03:00 PM Reply With Quote  
MWAHAHAHAHA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Mirrors View Post
Yeah, it drove all other stores out of business with cheap prices years ago, and then suddenly it became ridiculously expensive, charging around double of what it did when there was competition. Which is why I actually buy from IKEA far more often, even though that's technically a furniture store (I love ikea's cotton - easy to sew and affordable, albeit only solid colors).

The edelweiss stuff sells quite well here, because most female sewers tend to make tailored Dirndl dresses and similar traditional costumes, whereas they usually buy ready made everyday clothes. Both our community college and the community sewing room that sadly closed down some time ago had dirndl classes, neither offered quilting.

I'd say the smallest is around 4 inches maybe. Not that I wouldn't use smaller scraps if I have them lying around, but half-an-inch pieces sound hardly worth mailing (especially with international postage).
"I asked mama if I could buy you some fabwic today!" Derpy hugs your ankle.
Kaderin's mule dragon!

^Art by Merskelly Metalien
Check out my Instagram: @derpymcblueeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witchchylde View Post
Whoa, serious Derpy is Serious! I solemnly swear not to meddle in the affairs of Derpy!
Old Posted 07-25-2019, 04:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #4087  
Aww, that's so cute, Derpy! You're making me blush *hugs back*

Anyway yeah... I would probably even consider a move, but not to such a bassackwards place - though I imagine it could be lots of fun if we lived in the same town and have all sorts of creative meetups! (I'm sure Derpy would love my chocolate cake, the one I accidentially invented because I translated one of the ingredients wrongly). We can teach each other new crafts or inspire each other in well known ones. Debate which ice cream flavor is the best in this $%§@ heat while actually trying samples. And tons of other stuff. Do you like karaoke? Themed parties? Ninja Turtle tv marathons?
Old Posted 07-26-2019, 06:23 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
I made my first circle skirt! I'll have pics later. ouo

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 07-26-2019, 07:39 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #4089  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death by Mirrors View Post
Aww, that's so cute, Derpy! You're making me blush *hugs back*

Anyway yeah... I would probably even consider a move, but not to such a bassackwards place - though I imagine it could be lots of fun if we lived in the same town and have all sorts of creative meetups! (I'm sure Derpy would love my chocolate cake, the one I accidentially invented because I translated one of the ingredients wrongly). We can teach each other new crafts or inspire each other in well known ones. Debate which ice cream flavor is the best in this $%§@ heat while actually trying samples. And tons of other stuff. Do you like karaoke? Themed parties? Ninja Turtle tv marathons?
Tbh, despite the country itself having some issues, where I live is actually fairly rural compared to a lot of places even though it's one of the biggest cities in the state. I tend to just ignore the news and enjoy life. >.>
Plus, views like this https://youtu.be/c7XYzOd8R0I are easy to find within a good 30 minute drive. Some are 100% shots from the glacier park region, which is I think maybe 5 hours from where I live, so could be done in a day trip, but better for a camping trip if you want to see all the good places and do some hiking.

Heck yes, crafting and ice cream and cake! I'm not a fan of karaoke (I prefer watching to doing), LOVE theme parties, have never watched Ninja Turtles, but do enjoy marathons of shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
Yay! I can't wait to see it!
Old Posted 07-26-2019, 12:19 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyBeary View Post
oooh yay! *waits for pics*

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 07-26-2019, 06:30 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Default   #4091  
That's cool! *also curious for pics*
Old Posted 07-27-2019, 03:56 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Here you go. ;u;

Old Posted 07-28-2019, 01:35 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #4093  
oooh cool!

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 07-28-2019, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Super cute! Are the suspender straps attached to the skirt or a separate item?
Old Posted 07-29-2019, 10:03 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #4095  
I can't make clothes, but that looks really good Kitty! I love the hat. x}

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 07-30-2019, 04:43 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
They're attached and have snaps. ^^ Thank you! <3

Old Posted 07-31-2019, 12:01 AM Reply With Quote