Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Harmless
Default   #401  
The first of the series of A Song of Ice and Fire. That being The Game of Thrones.
Old Posted 09-16-2013, 12:15 AM Reply With Quote  
Confused
mine was Soul Savers it was free on my nook. I can't remember who the author is but I enjoyed it so much that I bought the box set :)
Old Posted 09-20-2013, 07:50 PM Reply With Quote  
Ho! Miscreant!
Default   #403  
I recently finished reading The Witch's House, a book based on the popular rpgmaker game. It's a really fascinating read!

~ You can dance if you want too,
You can leave your friends behind.
Because if they don't dance,
Then they're no friends of mine ~
Old Posted 03-06-2014, 09:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Working on The Hobbit now.
Old Posted 03-10-2014, 03:40 AM Reply With Quote  
Harmless
Default   #405  
I recently finished reading Skip Beat and Anne Of Green Gables. I am Currently working on reading Skip vol 18 and I am going to start Reading Alanna The First Adventure. By Tamora Pierce.
Old Posted 03-10-2014, 10:48 AM Reply With Quote  
Problem to the Solution
Making Money by Terry Pratchett. Diving in to the beginning with The Color of Magic now.
Old Posted 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #407  
The most recent book I finished reading was Ender's Game in preparation for watching the film that was made from it. The movie was somewhat disappointing, particularly some of the major changes that were made -- not to specific events, really, but to the overall tone and, ultimately, point of the book. They made the most readily obvious points present in the film, but did nothing to actually explore any of them, which the book actually does amazingly well.

To be honest, though, that book is insanely hard to put into a medium such as film without taking some rather amazing departures from what the typical movie-going audience expects. On the plus side, they managed to tell the story somewhat well with what the filmmakers were given -- but I'm unlikely to ever watch it again, as I feel there's not really any subtext that I didn't already perceive on the first viewing.

The book is truly an amazing work of science fiction, though -- it does what any good novel does and explores questions that are not readily available without the constructs of fiction, and does so in such a way that reading the book more than once is actually beneficial to understanding what's been presented.
All generalizations are false, including this one.

Old Posted 03-11-2014, 02:02 PM Reply With Quote  
Lil' Inkling
The last book I read...hmm I believe it was The Vampire Armand from the Anne Rice Interview with a Vampire series. That or I finished re-reading Beowulf for a presentation I had for a class. Both were quite good as I remembered the first time I had read them. ^w^
Old Posted 03-12-2014, 11:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Dazed
Default   #409  
Last real book I finished that I really enjoyed was Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K. Hamilton of the Anita Blake series. It was really really good~

Om nom nom nom!!

Saving up for the Tea Time set :3
Old Posted 03-13-2014, 04:26 PM Reply With Quote  
It's over 9000!
Van Gogh: The Life by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith

All I can say is holy crap. 880+ pages of unimaginable hell and beauty.
Old Posted 03-15-2014, 08:23 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #411  
Castle in the Sky by Dianna Wynne Jones
Known as Kajiko almost everywhere else.
Old Posted 03-23-2014, 03:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Moderation Admin
I just finished (again) the Obsidian and Blood series by Aliette de Bodard - I read it almost yearly now because I find that it is just that good.

Galla: always, all the time, a galla has no tolerance for it, and galla has all the tolerance.

Trisphee Site Rules | Sei's Hideout
Old Posted 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM Reply With Quote  
an evil, possessed, psycho doll
Default   #413  
I recently finished The Masque of Vyle by Andy Chambers.
For only having 9 chapters it really does drag you in and doesn't want to let go. I don't want to leak anything at all so I will say that the saying quality over quantity is definitely in effect here.

Within the book you get a glimpse into the mystery, wrapped in an enigma that is the harlequins. I enjoyed how the harlequin's interact with each other, they each had their own role within the troupe, which they never brake wither they where in their own company or doing the 'Masque' itself. I found out that 'Death Jester's' have a morbid sense of humour, especially when it comes to being kept in suspense about something.

The solitude 'Motley' is beyond bizarre, sometimes he tries to be serious but it never works, and as soon as you think you know what's going on with him, there's a twist that makes you question what you thought you knew about him or what he had planed.

Some of the words and wording are hard to follow especially if you don't know the army or lore that well. I know the lore and the army quite well but even I had problems with it from time to time on pronunciation of cities, names and the likes. This being said the book does drag you in wanting to know what happens next, at times you can get drawn into the story you can easily envision how the characters feel, their hopes, even feeling sorry for them when things happen and what scenes/backgrounds depict and the emotions they are trying to draw out.

I'll stop there saying that it is well worth the money and leave you all with one of my favourite passages of the book. When I first read it, it made me giggle and it's from the solitude himself:-

Quote:
Motley bowed deeply, appearing greatly chagrined.
"forgive your errant servant, my noble king, I intended only to lighten a dark moment with a warm moment of laughter. I call upon the Masque by my right of sacrifice, as one forsworn to the doom of our people and perched upon the razor's edge between apotheosis and destruction. Would you like to see my credentials?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakadon
I give you the right to yell at anyone that breaks my RP rules >:U
Nikko is my nii sama and Reyoki is my nee sama

この終わりのない声で、私はそれは私の選択で、歌います

Last edited by Kaguya; 03-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 11:33 AM Reply With Quote  
-:-o}}}-O-{{{o-:-
That sounds interesting Kaguya, I'll have to see if it is on Kindle. I really thought that little passage is great! It is almost Art-Language if you have ever heard of that genre of ...well I can't call it literature, I'll just call it...imaginative writing.
I used to have a sig. Really.
Old Posted 03-27-2014, 06:03 PM Reply With Quote  
an evil, possessed, psycho doll
Default   #415  
It is definitely worth a read.
My hobby also has it's own book line, you can find it in the website Black Library, you may find it there as an E-book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakadon
I give you the right to yell at anyone that breaks my RP rules >:U
Nikko is my nii sama and Reyoki is my nee sama

この終わりのない声で、私はそれは私の選択で、歌います

Old Posted 03-27-2014, 06:37 PM Reply With Quote  
-:-o}}}-O-{{{o-:-
Ok I'll check that out, thanks!
I used to have a sig. Really.
Old Posted 03-28-2014, 09:45 AM Reply With Quote