Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Resident ghost caracal
Default What was the last book you finished?   #1  
Yeah, not the last book you picked up and tried to read, but the last you actually finished? XD If you wish, you can tell if you hated or loved it (or were left simply unimpressed) and why.

Mine is "The Martian Chronicles" by Ray Bradbury and let me tell honestly, it is one of the BEST books I have ever read. Wow. I loved how he told the stories, the told and untold meanings behind them, how real were the characters, how much... The book is about us, the present, the side of everything we don't want to see.
~ Hello, I am Sadrain, a ghost Caracal, but you can call me Rainy.
Nice to meet you. =^-^= ~
~Questing: Yearlies, RIGs, Lot of MIs, RUNES (always), Aurum
Shop: Selling MOST EIs | NOT updated buying thread ~

|~ Status:
Questing so much things I don't know where to start ~|

~Manning Crow's Nest on Haunted Galleon under Captain Lawtan's rule ~
Last edited by Demonskid; 05-01-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Old Posted 07-23-2010, 05:09 AM Reply With Quote  
Zombie Queen
The last book I read was Countess of Scandal by Laurel Mckee. It is about a couple who when they were young had been in love, Eliza Blacknail and William Denten. Will had joined the English arm and left Ireland for many years. Years later soon before the war between the Irish and English, Will's troups return to Ireland. Eliza, who became a countess after the years, and now is a widow, secretly joined an underground Irish rebellion. It Will tries to figure her out, they're fillings are still strong as ever, and the war has began.

I won't say anymore for romance lovers~ I really did enjoy this book. The ending surprised me at how supence filled it was. I can't wait to read about her second book which is about Eliza's sister and a sexy duke!

Though her writing had a few errors, it was still well written and had me very entertained in the end. It did start a little slow and took me a while to finish. lol If they're really good I can finish them in a night. lol

I am Muff Muff. The Zombie Queen!
Old Posted 07-23-2010, 02:01 PM Reply With Quote  
The ever amazing cap'n obvious
Default   #3  
This afternoon, I finished The Ghost King by R.A. Salvatore. It's the last in a series of a kajillion (20-something) books. I bawled like a little baby at the end.

I really like all the philosophical stuff in this series of books. Sometimes there are simple typos, and enough of them that they really should have been caught. Sometimes the writing is cheesy and has such bad foreshadowing that it makes me cringe. But the way he writes his characters is so wonderful, and the trials he throws at them make them really come to life. Even the characters I don't like very much, I still feel compassion for if they're hurt or tormented. The characters really come to life for me, and the combination of the well-written characters and the creative plot really make the books wonderful.

This signature intentionally left blank.

Old Posted 07-23-2010, 10:16 PM Reply With Quote  
Pocket Demon Ninja
The last book I finished was The Cat Who Saw Red. Unless you count Audio books *i dont* it woulda been The Cat Who Played Post Office. I am in love with Lilian Jackson Bruan's Cat Who series x3 Koko and Yum Yum are so cute x3

。[Crunchyroll] 。[Study Japanese] 。[OTKH] 。
。Youtube 。Twitch 。

Old Posted 07-24-2010, 03:08 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #5  
I just finished "The Secrets of Immortal Nicholas Flamel Book II" anddd was not even disappointed since I knew it wouldn't be all that good. Now, I am out of readable things again. -must go to library and hope there will be something new-

|~ Status:

Old Posted 07-24-2010, 04:06 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Atlas Shrugged. Just Yesterday. I've been reading it on and off for a few years.
Old Posted 07-26-2010, 02:07 PM Reply With Quote  
Pattern Recognizer
Default   #7  
The second book of the Monster Blood Tattoo trilogy, Lamplighter. Looking forward to the third book. D M Cornish spent years outlining his world and it's nice to relax inside someone else's imagination, knowing you're in good hands and not cheesy ones.
Old Posted 07-26-2010, 11:05 PM Reply With Quote  
Confused
:3 I read (and finish) a lot of books. X3 So, I'll put the last three I've read up. :D Just for fun.

1. Dragon's Bait by Vivian Vande Velde: This was cute and short. XD I read it in a hour.

2. The Child Thief by Brom: Amazing book. I couldn't put it down~

3. Merlin's Dragon by T.A. Barron: Another short one. X3 But really good, anyway.
Old Posted 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #9  
I just know there are some books I can't force my self to finish. I pick them up at the book-starving time, but they are so bad, I can't get trough them (like German romance books >o>), that's why I added "finished".

|~ Status:

Old Posted 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM Reply With Quote  
*twitch*
"The Martian Chronicles" is amazing! Bradbury is such an amazing writer, and his scifi has a delightfully human element to it that many others unfortunately gloss over in favour of technology. If you haven't already, you should pick up his short story collection, because he really shines with his shorter tales. If you get the complete version, it's a giant monster of a book, easily over a thousand pages.

The last book I finished was "The Ball Jar," by Sylvia Plath. If it weren't for the undercurrent of racism in her descriptions, I would count it as one of the greatest books I've read, but I didn't exactly enjoy reading it. I don't think it's supposed to be enjoyed.
Old Posted 07-28-2010, 01:01 PM Reply With Quote  
Resident ghost caracal
Default   #11  
Oh, no, I haven't read his other stories yet, but I intend to do. Unfortunately, probably not that much has been translated in Latvian and republished at this moment. ^^;
And, yes, the book's absolutely amazing. I instantly added it to one of my favorites. He has amazing writing style and I love how he weaved a whole big story together from small pieces.

|~ Status:

Old Posted 07-28-2010, 03:26 PM Reply With Quote  
Addicted to Trisphee
The last book I've read was The Book of Dreams by O.R. melling. It was like 700 pages long but it took me a week or 2 to finish. I couldn't put it down x3
Old Posted 07-29-2010, 04:38 PM Reply With Quote  
One Fish
Default   #13  
Cirque Du Freak: A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan. Read it in two days :D
Old Posted 07-29-2010, 06:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Trisphee Police Force
The last one? Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce. I'm halfway through Trickster's Queen.
Old Posted 08-14-2010, 06:59 PM Reply With Quote  
Fresh meat :D
Default   #15  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
This afternoon, I finished The Ghost King by R.A. Salvatore. It's the last in a series of a kajillion (20-something) books. I bawled like a little baby at the end.

I really like all the philosophical stuff in this series of books. Sometimes there are simple typos, and enough of them that they really should have been caught. Sometimes the writing is cheesy and has such bad foreshadowing that it makes me cringe. But the way he writes his characters is so wonderful, and the trials he throws at them make them really come to life. Even the characters I don't like very much, I still feel compassion for if they're hurt or tormented. The characters really come to life for me, and the combination of the well-written characters and the creative plot really make the books wonderful.
:D Salvatore's books are some of the best books I've ever read, and I'm happy that I was able to get you into them C: I didn't really read any books at all but when my friend gave me the first book of that 20-something some 3-4 years ago I was addicted to them. At one point over 1 week I read 6 of the books @.@

And as for the latest book I read, it was Elminster in Hell by Ed Greendwood. I really like Forgotten Realms C: And the book wasn't so bad :P
Old Posted 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM Reply With Quote  
Brigade Leader
I just finished reading Fahrenheight 451, and loved it X3
Old Posted 08-19-2010, 11:20 AM Reply With Quote