Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Icy Footed
Default   #17  
Okie dokie. :] Will do!

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 01-11-2019, 11:54 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
How have you not finished Frankenstein? I LOVE that book!

Lovecraft is pretty awesome too. I'm annoyed that, as he's dead, he wont' be writing anything else. I have a print compendium and one on my ereader. My favourite story is The Shadow out of Time, but the most popular seem to be The Dunwich Horror, At the Mountains of Madness (novella), The Whisperer in the Darkness, and The Rats in the Walls. Surprised me that Cthullu himself is really a small portion of his literature. There's a pile of other stuff.

My original plan for my reading challenge this year may be interrupted somewhat, as my leisure reading now relates to a lot of kids material. I have to compile and annotate a resource list of kids' books, age 2-12, with at least 30 books. So far, I've been through Mabel Murple, Let's Paint!, Alligator Pie, Isle of You, and I'm reading into one of the "Dear Canada" series with letters from immigrants, Hoping for Home. I need to have a certain amount of Canadian content on this list. I've added a few that I read from last year.

I've waiting for library holds to show up for James and the Giant Peach, Something from Nothing, A Child's Garden of Verses, and Sweetest Lulu.

I'm open to suggestions, especially as I have no kids and I'm pretty terrible with guessing what age a book might be for. I also need more kiddy novels and fewer picture books. Anyone have thoughts?

PS And I am not properly formatting my story names. Gasp!
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 01-18-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old Posted 01-18-2019, 09:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #19  
Ugh, trying to decide if I want to count audio books on my list or not...
But probably not as you don't technically read them, you just listen to them. But might put a small separate list for audio books. Because tbh, I've gotten into them recently...
Old Posted 01-18-2019, 09:14 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Well, :) As a girl I loved reading The Bailey School Kids chapter books and of course Goosebumps books. But I really enjoyed reading The Frog Princess by E.D. Baker when I was around mayyyybe 13 years old.
I dunno if that's the age group you're looking for, but :} Choose your own adventure books were SUPER fun to read! I used to dabble in all kinds of them in elementary school!

Also, I wanna finish Frankenstein! <Xo it's such a beautiful sad storyyy! And I left off on the midpoint where Victor's creation is about to tell him his story in the mountains!~

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 01-18-2019, 09:16 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #21  
Yeah, the age bracket is 2-12, and I hardly remember most of that time so I'm drawing blanks. I read mostly horse books I think, with vague recollections of Romona and Beezes.

I've taken to looking up audio short stories since there's so many I want to see but don't have in print and don't want to read in the computer. Youtube has a lot there. I'm investigating old gothic and weird shorts.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 01-18-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old Posted 01-18-2019, 09:31 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
i love love love love LOVE Lovecraft. my faves are Cool Air, The Cats of Ulthar, and the Outsider.

all of his writing is also online at the HPLovecraft Archive

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-18-2019, 11:22 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #23  
It actually took me a while to get used to audio books, but I love that I can actually work on my loom knitting while a book is basically being read to me. I just have a hard time finding ones that I want to listen to. XD

I'll be honest, I have never read any Locecraft. I should pick something up to read this year.
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 01:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
i still read physical books from the library. =)

and... i just got an email that one of my books is ready for pickup! =)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 01:41 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #25  
I still read physical books from my bookshelf. I'm just saying, it's almost impossible to loom knit (or make chainmaille stuff) and read a book at the same time unless I magically grow 2 more arms and a second head. So audio books allow literary enjoyment while I craft.
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 01:44 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
LOL!

if i'm reading the right type of book (hardback) and i'm doing the right crochet stitch (granny square, or something where you crochet into a big space instead of a stitch) then i can read and crochet at the same time. otherwise... nope. XD

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 01:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #27  
Though, growing two more arms and an extra head sounds very Lovecraftian. xD Heheh.

@trystan: I love Cool Air! Ugg when I first read it I just- 8} it was like chills and terror in a tasty cake!
Speaking of Lovecraft, :} I actually kinda sorta wrote a little short story (Link to it here) that I tried mirroring in a Lovecraft style, though I can't come quite so close to his other works. <x} No surprise there, as I'm a novice and have very little vocabulary skill from the early 1900's lol!

Also...

I just finished reading Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller this morning around 2. It was sad. :[ And a good read, albeit a short one. I was totally immersed in the tragedy and utter bitterness of it all.
Next on my list I think I'll start reading The Picture of Dorian Grey. :]

Old Posted 01-19-2019, 03:20 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
ooh, i'll have to give your story a read a little later on

and i was also thinking about reading (rereading? i think i read it quite a way back) Dorian Gray too. =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 06:35 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #29  
:D Ahh neat-o cheet-os!~
I should add some more stuff to read, actually, :/ more variety I mean...maybe I'll take up reading Catch-22, Dracula or Lord of the Flies. I want to own
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell too. :D I remember reading that a long time ago!

And I also heard really great things about At the Mountains of Madness, but I only started reading the first pages before I had to return my library book of Lovecraft's stories! <X{ Augh! I'm a library book bandit, but I had to return it because it was the only copy they had...and I wanted someone else to pick it up. ;-; <3

Old Posted 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
ooh At the Mountains of Madness is also a good one. =)

also, i own Dracula, Lord of the Flies, and Catch-22 as well! =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-19-2019, 09:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #31  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merskelly Metalien View Post
Speaking of Lovecraft, :} I actually kinda sorta wrote a little short story (Link to it here) that I tried mirroring in a Lovecraft style, though I can't come quite so close to his other works. <x} No surprise there, as I'm a novice and have very little vocabulary skill from the early 1900's lol!
i read both at that link, and i thought both were pretty cool! =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-20-2019, 12:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
AaaaaAaaaa~ <:D Thank you! You think so?? *is flattered*
I'm kind of fairly new at fiction writing... </u//<;

Which one did you enjoy the most? <:]

Old Posted 01-20-2019, 03:14 AM Reply With Quote