Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

We're all mad here.
Default   #161  
New book! That has also been on my shelf for a while. Experimental fiction.
Old Posted 03-05-2018, 11:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Ah, if I don't be lazy, I might be able to finish 2 books tonight and/or tomorrow. Since they're both almost done.
Old Posted 03-06-2018, 10:27 PM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Default   #163  
does nonfiction/self help books count towards this?
Coz I've been reading this one called "Will I Ever Be Good Enough? Healing the Daughters of Narcissistic Mothers"
It's been.... necessary, to put it mildly.

Some Eclectic Witch
Ashwood's Item Quest Thread
Old Posted 03-15-2018, 08:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
i look at it this way: did you read it? then it counts.

an aside for you: has it been healing?

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 03-15-2018, 11:45 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #165  
All books count!
Also, sorry that it's something you have to go through. Hopefully it helps a lot.
Old Posted 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I found a library thing!

I'm going to be a while plucking away at Vas. I doubt it will be my "March" book, but I finally managed to pick up my copy of Big Red from the used book store so I've started that. Much quicker.

Big Red is the second of my dog book mission. I've already noticed a difference in quality between it and Fern, but I don't recall any particularly damaging emotional moments so bonus there.
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 02:15 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #167  
PS. Vas should also be in my "shelf at home list" as it was there. I just didn't think I'd actually get to it before the others.
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 02:22 AM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trystan830 View Post
i look at it this way: did you read it? then it counts.

an aside for you: has it been healing?
I think so. It's definitely helping me understand the more enigmatic parts of my childhood and my mother lol

Some Eclectic Witch
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #169  
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverAshwood View Post
I think so. It's definitely helping me understand the more enigmatic parts of my childhood and my mother lol
well, this is a good thing, yes? =)

currently reading: Cold Curses by Chloe Neill (#20) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 04:17 PM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trystan830 View Post
well, this is a good thing, yes? =)
Oh, for sure

Some Eclectic Witch
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 04:56 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #171  
yaay, awesome!

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 04:57 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverAshwood View Post
That is good to hear. Does it help that it's in a book, so in that sense it's not a unique scenario? That there are others?

I'm involved in the Reading Link Challenge in my province and one of the books we read this year was Fish in a Tree. It wasn't assigned to me but I might read it anyway. It's about a young girl going through school while having dyslexia. It's for youth and written from her perspective, but the little parts that I encountered during the challenge readings stuck out to be as kinda relatable. It's another book I'm going to put on my 'for later' shelf on my library profile, unless I can find one cheap.
Old Posted 03-16-2018, 07:37 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #173  
So I made a profile over on LibraryThing. It's kinda neat! More for book geeks. You add your books, see who else has them, review, etc. But you can also add basic information about them, and add tags. The neat thing (and this is where it gets geeky) is that when you bring in your book, it comes with all the library/archive cataloging data, so you can see the Library of Congress records and such.

Also, LibraryThing is developing tools for libraries so that they can use the user-made tags and reviews to enhance their local catalogues, so you could search your local library's books via user tags. There's even a "guess the cover" game where you describe a book's cover by adding tags, and get points based on how many other people also used those words. It's just a little thing, but the ultimate goal is to have a search of book covers with these tags so that, if you forget everything about a book except what it looks like, you have a shot at finding it. Librarians apparently get the cover question a lot and it's very hard to actually answer.
Old Posted 03-20-2018, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Man Cometh View Post
That is good to hear. Does it help that it's in a book, so in that sense it's not a unique scenario? That there are others?
I suppose. r/RaisedByNarcissists was pretty good for helping that click in my mind, that I'm not alone, but the book has helped a lot more with understanding why my mother does some of the weirder things she does. Like, a mother shouldn't be telling her (then) 15 year old about sexual escapades and cocaine and abortions, but apparently narcissists have a tendency to see their children, particularly as they get older, more as friends and can end up crossing boundaries that really shouldn't be crossed.

It's just almost sad, because she bought that book for herself to help her heal from her own narcissistic mother. Another lesson from the book-- children of narcissistic parents often go on to be narcissists themselves. So something for me to look out for in myself and try to overcome my FLEAS (Frightening Lasting Effects of Abuse).

Quote:
So I made a profile over on LibraryThing. It's kinda neat! More for book geeks. You add your books, see who else has them, review, etc. But you can also add basic information about them, and add tags. The neat thing (and this is where it gets geeky) is that when you bring in your book, it comes with all the library/archive cataloging data, so you can see the Library of Congress records and such.
Makes me wish I had more books lol

Some Eclectic Witch
Old Posted 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #175  
Quote:
I found a library thing!
i'm on goodreads! it seems very similar.....

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 03-22-2018, 10:48 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
LibraryThing actually has products that libraries can use to add their user information into their opacs. Not too familiar with GoodReads outside of reviews and author pages. I've been playing cover guess, and adding some details in to the local bookstore/library locations that I've been to. I'm helping!...I hope.

Vas might take me a bit so I'm gunning for Big Red this month, and I want Fish in a Tree to get here. I'm not going to make much progress on my shelf list if I keep getting more books!
Old Posted 03-23-2018, 06:21 AM Reply With Quote