Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

My Law is Marshall
Default Djentalmen's Club   #1  
Okay so I'm sure some people are familiar with this style of music, but you know not everyone is. The style is called Djent, and if you don't know about it I'm going to give you some knowledge. :)

It is a type of music that would be located somewhere in the heavy metal, and progressive metal styles. The style of sound was originally used in a band called Meshuggah, but it did not really become a well known style until the band Periphery came onto the scene. Now if you're wondering why it is called djent I'll be happy to explain that too. Whenever the guitar is strummed for this style you may notice the particular unique sound it makes. If you listen carefully each strum sounds like djent djent djent if you say it out loud.

Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound. Now to be honest I don't know much about the amplification to make the particular type of sound, so I took the liberty of finding it for you because maybe you would like to play the style.

Alright now that all of the information has been spit out into your face we can look at some different bands that fall into this subgenre of music, and name a few songs it would be good to start with.
Bands and A song by them
Animals as Leader -Song of Solomon
Periphery - Jetpacks was yes!
Gru - Aurora
Chimp Spanner - Under one sky
Tesseract - Lament

This should be enough for you to get the taste of the wide variety that Djent consists of. You will notice each band has similarities to the others, but they all have a distinct style all of their own. In this particular subgenre you will find many different sounds to grace your ears with, and get entranced by.

You never know if you will like it until you give it a chance. An over used line, but one that is very true. Have a listen to some of the style, and then lets happily discuss your thoughts on it. :)
Last edited by Law; 06-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:10 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Interesting...I'm gonna have to check this out...

Sign My Siggy!!!...I Dare You!...PS...Luffles to all who do!!!

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
-this is my signature- <3 Lacry
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:16 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #3  
Hehe wonderful I can't guarantee you'll like it because of course everyone has different tastes, but a lot of the music is lovely sounding. I hope you don't mind songs without lyrics though because most djent bands do not sing in their music. Most fans of it are happy they don't though because they think it would ruin the sound of the instruments.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Ohhhs...I actually do enjoy music with no lyrics.

I actually tend to enjoy odd music, I mean over half of my I-Tunes is Wizard Rock...

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:19 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #5  
Good I feel like the music is best without lyrics. The band Periphery one of the mentioned bands. They make music with lyrics, but they also make an instrumental version which they release along with the lyrical version of their songs. Tesseract also has some songs with lyrics as well, but all the other bands don't say a word.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:21 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Cool. I tend to listen to music to fall sleep to, and I always have a minor problem with music with lyrics...I end up singing to them instead of sleeping...

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:25 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #7  
Well if you want music to fall asleep to I would stay away from Animals as Leaders, but I think Gru has some pretty mellow song that or you could look up Intervals Inertia. It's a pretty mellow song as well that you could fall asleep to.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
I can fall asleep to screamo. (I once slept through a massive thunder storm at the beach in a camper). But lyrics always get me. I think I've sang myself to sleep all this week...

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:31 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #9  
Doesn't screamo have lyrics though? Hehe I prefer very mellow sounds when I'm falling asleep, and I just don't think I could get to bed with something screaming in my ear. I have enough trouble when there is no sound in my room, and I just start hearing buzzing and ringing noises. That alone annoys the crap out of me, and keeps me from sleeping so I need something soft to let me drown it out without bothering me.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:33 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
Yeah, but most of the time I can't understand the lyrics in screamo. And my favorite artist to fall asleep to is actually Yiruma. He's brilliant!!! Although Apocalyptica is brilliant as well (I adore strings!). I just love how they take common songs with lyrics and make them amazing with strings. (They did an Enter the Sandman that made me fall in love with them).

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:43 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #11  
Meh I want people other than just the two of us to reply in here. Hehehe Im feeling all self-conscious because no one other than the two of us have said anything.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:46 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
It's all good. Trisphee is a little dead at the moment. Just give it some time. I thought I wouldn't get anyone posting in my Wizard Rock thread and by the next day people had.

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:48 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #13  
Hehe well thank you for the reassurance Kali. I hope a mod does not mistake the name for something that needs to be in the Club House section because Djentalmen's Club just so happens to be a term that the fans of the style like to use. It's basically their way of giving it a nice sounding name that identifies them as a fan of the music.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM Reply With Quote  
Dinos go RAWR!!!
I understand that. It's kind of like Wizard Rock fans simply shorten it to Wrock (pronounced with a silent W) or WizRock. Wrock confuses people in conversations so they came up with WizRock.

le sign ;3-signs more ;P
-signs- Love, Ulti♥ owo~
Lucid was here.
No.
Yes.
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 02:57 PM Reply With Quote  
My Law is Marshall
Default   #15  
Well time to play the waiting game maybe there are a few Djentalmen hiding out in the threads somewhere, and hopefully they are not to shy to come reply. :)
Old Posted 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM Reply With Quote  
Capitan Marvelous~!

Hmm that's interesting. I will have look into this since I listen to rock and metal.

I am the manry-est of men!

Nikko's Cosplay's,Nikko's Cosplay Cafe, Dapper Dreams Joint Venture
Cosplaying: N/A
Reyo is my Tropical Mistress ~ <3, Lucid is DELISH and the best nana ever!
Is known as Black Japan - Hetalia

Nikko is a beautiful prince.
Old Posted 06-02-2012, 12:33 AM Reply With Quote