Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Truthwatcher
Default   #129  
I hate the part where it involves putting a sticker on the book. But other than that, it's a cool idea.
Old Posted 01-26-2018, 05:55 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
I do believe that I would put the sticker on the inside of the book, but yeah, or maybe put the sticker on like a gift tag, with a ribbon. So tempted to get some.

I forgot to announce, but I finished my January book! 1 down, 11 to go. Now to pick a book for February, and here I am in my Mom's place in the presence of all her bookstore glory.
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 06:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #131  
Yeah, I would do the sticker maybe on a bookmark in the book for sure. (Because, lets face it, if a person will pass the book on like they're supposed to, a bookmark is easy to place in the book and if they keep the book instead, then the book doesn't have a sticker stuck to it.

One of my friends got me "book stickers" as a gift. The kind you stick in the cover of a book with your name written on, so everyone knows it's your book. To which I qas all "do you not know me at all? That's book abuse". I think I still have them somewhere, unopened.
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 07:09 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
those book stickers could come in handy some day.

for example, i was at a birthday party for my nephew who was 1 back in november. my other brother and his son (the other nephew) randomly quoted some lines from a book, and i quoted a line as well, and my brother says "oh you got him that book? we were wondering where/who it came from!"

so, yeah. sometimes they're good

currently reading: The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead & Wendy Mass (#16) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
dragoncave | magistream | ravelry | faenaria | goodreads
snap / insta / discord ~ trystan830 | she / her / hers
~*~*~
"you are some kind of like 20th level string witch" ~Mekatra
"You're the highest level string witch I know too" ~ZenKitty
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 07:15 PM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Default   #133  
Yeah, nope. I never will put a sticker in a book unless the backing is still on the sticker and it's being used as a bookmark.
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 07:25 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
fair enough

currently reading: The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead & Wendy Mass (#16) | currently watching: Severance
~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 01-31-2018, 07:38 PM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Default   #135  
My Reading Challenge: I haven't done much actual book reading since I graduated in 2013 (by that I mean maybe 1 book T_T ), so it's my goal to read at least 15 books this year (will be updated if goal is met). And more than just manga! I will NOT be counting all the manga I'm catching up on in this challenge!

Not sure yet which books I'll read (yet), but I'd love to crack open my completed works of William Shakespeare that I got for Christmas 2015 lol

might update later with a book list

(I love this idea, by the way <3)

Some Eclectic Witch
Ashwood's Item Quest Thread
Old Posted 02-01-2018, 10:25 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
so i'm reading a book on my reread list (1984), and then i put books on hold at the library... and now i have TWO waiting for me. LOL!

i love the reading challenge idea too!

edit: Ash, i'll link your post #135 in post #2 on the first page, for reference when you want to post your book list! =)

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Last edited by trystan830; 02-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old Posted 02-01-2018, 11:37 AM Reply With Quote  
Pepsi Pagan
Default   #137  
LOL I used to have a lot of books on hold for me whenever I'd go the the library back in the day... I miss when I could read 2 books a day D':

also, thanks!

Some Eclectic Witch
Ashwood's Item Quest Thread
Old Posted 02-01-2018, 05:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
i love my library. =)

and you're welcome!

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-01-2018, 11:35 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Default   #139  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste View Post
Yeah, I would do the sticker maybe on a bookmark in the book for sure. (Because, lets face it, if a person will pass the book on like they're supposed to, a bookmark is easy to place in the book and if they keep the book instead, then the book doesn't have a sticker stuck to it.

One of my friends got me "book stickers" as a gift. The kind you stick in the cover of a book with your name written on, so everyone knows it's your book. To which I qas all "do you not know me at all? That's book abuse". I think I still have them somewhere, unopened.
Book plates. I like those things, but sadly they hardly seem to exist anymore. I only selectively use them though, on stuff that is not leaving my possession until I'm gone, and then it becomes historical record. ;)

I think I might do the book fairies thing anyway, and just use some green and white ribbon with a tag with the website. I'm a little strapped for funds at the moment.
Old Posted 02-02-2018, 12:04 AM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
Eek! Almost a week into February and I still haven't picked a book! Leaning towards finally finished Mrs. Dalloway from back in Uni, or finally reading this miscellaneous book about bears from the creator of the Warriors series.
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 04:47 AM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #141  
i'm still reading 1984, but i'll be getting those books from the library later today - Hardcore Twenty-Four, the most recent Stephanie Plum novel; and Tigerheart's Shadow, the Warriors super edition from 2017.

also, @Quiet Man - i've only read the Warriors books from Erin Hunter. how are the other series?

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Last edited by trystan830; 02-06-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
No idea. I've only heard of them. This series is "The Seekers" with bears.

I wanted to finally pick up that copy of Where the Red Fern Grows that I'm pretty sure my aunt got me for Christmas ages ago, but can't seem to find it. I've heard it's good, but hideously depressing. It is worse than Bridge to Terabithia?
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 06:00 PM Reply With Quote  
Queen of Typoes
Default   #143  
ah, ok. i've only read the Warriors.

i'm not familiar with Where the Red Fern Grows, maybe someone else here has heard of it? read reviews on Goodreads?

~*~*~
~*~*~
~*~*~
me... by Glitch!
~*~*~
Old Posted 02-06-2018, 09:00 PM Reply With Quote  
We're all mad here.
So I had a dream the other night that I was visiting relatives and found an old cabin/trailer thing that was handmade and had all the old toys and things from various relatives and such (I knew this much with that usual dream logic one has) and there as also a shelf of all the books I liked as kid, like Ramona and Beezes and such, and I started looking for Where the Red Fern Grows before I woke up.

No luck in the dream, or at home, so I went to the bookstore and bought a copy. That's my book for the month.

I checked out Goodreads and it's one of those books that people read in high school all the time, and is known for being sad and heartfelt and all the usual stuff. I figure I can handle all that now. ;). At it's heart, a story about a boy and his dogs, young reader stuff, in the vein of books like Old Yeller and perhaps Big Red.

I wish I had found my old copy that I'm pretty sure my aunt gave me. I know she gave my sister and I (and my mom did as well) some books for Christmas that she thought we should read. I remember The Trumpet of the Swan and Stuart Little, both of which I'm pretty sure I did read, but can no longer find. I bumped into a copy of Never Cry Wolf as well, and that may also have been in the mix.

On a slightly related note, we've been talking about demand driven acquisitions (DDA) in class: library acquisitions that are determined by user request. The practice can make it easier on library budgets, but has the drawback of largely leading to a library filled with what happen to be popular. My teacher was working on a reader advisory board in a library (fancy name for librarians that recommend stuff to readers) and she was helping a child pick a book. She went to go get a kids classic she thought would be great, but the library didn't have it. Since it was such as kids staple, it never occurred to her that it was something a library might not have. That was part of the problem with DDA was that older books that aren't necessarily known to current audiences might not make it into collections.
Old Posted 02-11-2018, 08:14 AM Reply With Quote