Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Icy Footed
Default   #2225  
It's raining today where I'm at, but in other California news,
It's snowing on the 5 Freeway near the Grapevine.
o-o;
We're gettin' some crazy weather over here. But I'm glad it's not the hellfire season anymore, and it's getting at least a little more winter-y rains. ^~^; Like, I know 49 degrees fahrenheit isn't cold to a lot of people, but it's like being in a fridge to me without a proper jacket and scarf, and gloves. e~e;

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 11-27-2019, 12:53 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
if the cat doesn't want clean paws then the cat should not go out and get then mucky XD

in a most surprising turn of events i am happy with my current lot in life!
Old Posted 11-27-2019, 02:47 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #2227  
:D A pleasantly surprising turn of events indeed!

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 11-27-2019, 03:18 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
god, i wish that were me.
percival is busy being queer as hell. he was also here.
somewhat busy working for trisphee.

a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Old Posted 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #2229  
:'] *currently slippin' into a void of exhaustion, frustration, anxiety and pizza*
mmyup. Same.

Old Posted 11-27-2019, 05:32 PM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
i don't think it's gonna be possible for me to become a decent gamedev. people want qualifications and such.

and doing art as a job just seems. ehhhh. seems like a certain gateway to burning the hell out.

Old Posted 11-27-2019, 05:40 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2231  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidbarker View Post
i don't think it's gonna be possible for me to become a decent gamedev. people want qualifications and such.
Not gonna lie, it's irritatingly hard to get into the industry. The studios big enough to hire are also big enough to be choosy. Back when I was actually thinking I wanted to be a professional game dev I was never able to get very far at all.

But that's not meant to be doom-and-gloom and saying it's impossible. It's hard, but it's actually easier now than it was when I was trying. The reason I didn't get very far despite my professional software engineering experience is because my knowledge was pretty unrelated to video game software.

It's a WHOLE lot easier to get a meaningful indie project under your belt without needing a significant budget to get started. With good, solid, professional-grade engines now available for free such as Unity and Unreal, and with a big enough indie game development community out there to be able to actually find resources and tutorials and help, the industry is more approachable than it has been in over a decade.

The days when you had to be the next John Carmack to make something good are gone. Arcane knowledge of how to make a game engine scream isn't necessary to get your foot in the door; you can get the qualifications necessary for a junior game developer while still being a mere mortal. Sure, knowing how to make a game engine scream is definitely a skill worth possessing, but there are enough roles outside of engine development that need filled that it's enough to demonstrate that you know how to use the tools that exist.

That said, you'll want to make sure your life circumstances are stable before you start down that path. Living with your parents because you're still in school (whether high school or college) is ideal, but studying game development while you're working a less exciting job to pay the bills is still entirely reasonable. (The game devs that can quit their day job to try to break into the industry are a lot less common than you might imagine, and they have to have already built up enough savings to get by until they start making revenue.)

I've said this before, but I'll say it again -- I am happy to teach. The main reason I'm not a full-time teacher is because I enjoy building solutions to interesting problems too much. (I, um... also probably couldn't get by on a teacher's salary.) If you have questions, I'm happy to answer. If you want some lessons, I can provide. One-on-one tutoring is totally a thing I'm open to doing. I won't even charge for it.
Games by Coda (updated 4/15/2024 - New game: Call of Aether)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 11-27-2019, 08:00 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
i dunno, i'm an artist and old x''D you probably don't want to be me, hahahaha
Old Posted 11-27-2019, 08:18 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Default   #2233  
Experiencing major fatigue, in all things
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 11-27-2019, 11:58 PM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED

dec 14
S A U C Y
「art by mdom」
✦✦✦
Old Posted 11-28-2019, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Pixelist
Default   #2235  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coda View Post
[SNIP]
I've said this before, but I'll say it again -- I am happy to teach. The main reason I'm not a full-time teacher is because I enjoy building solutions to interesting problems too much. (I, um... also probably couldn't get by on a teacher's salary.) If you have questions, I'm happy to answer. If you want some lessons, I can provide. One-on-one tutoring is totally a thing I'm open to doing. I won't even charge for it.
i'd rather actually be able to pay you for your time in the case that you do manage to teach me. (also i have a huge tendency to procrastinate.)

the one thing i'm good at is ideas. concept art is a pretty good thing, and i can code, i just can't model for shit.

i've also asked my dad if there's any secretary jobs that he knows of, because i'm a pretty fast typist and can get to things pretty easily, along with knowing how a lot of software works in general. (and my dad knows quite a few people.)

i'm going to be eighteen next year and i'm definitely not ready for it, but i don't think anyone is, really?

Old Posted 11-28-2019, 09:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Yeah, I'm 34 and not ready to be 18 XP
Old Posted 11-28-2019, 06:57 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #2237  
mirrors, what is your item set-up for that background?
Old Posted 11-28-2019, 06:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Writer
Which one, the galaxy I had before or the one I'm sporting now?

First was Cosmic Cadet plus Galaxy Princess, this one's just posting rewards.
Old Posted 11-28-2019, 07:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #2239  
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
Is that...?
Thurston Waffles?? <x'3

Old Posted 11-28-2019, 09:28 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
cosmic cadet? not sure i have that x''D
Old Posted 11-28-2019, 10:05 PM Reply With Quote