Not Logged In

A*DIC*TED
Default   #2321  
Yep. Nothing more than friendships.

Also today can be over with already I'm done with it

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 12-08-2019, 11:54 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
nope, it's pretty much here forever though it's less prevalent when i minimize stress and sitting x''D
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 01:31 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2323  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaderin Triste View Post
Well....unless Montana is divided into vastly different linguistic regions, it's not a regional thing. Same as me he was born in MT and has lived here all his life. And does not replace any other long E sounds with long A.
It's literally just windowseal/windowsill.

Update: he has informed me that it's actually a medical thing where his frenulum I think it's called, is farther forward than most people, so it's easier to do vowel sounds where the tongue doesn't have so much vertical movement. Apparently he also says "pellow" instead of "pillow".
That's curious. Maybe this is just a matter of my accent, but the word "sill" (and others, of course) doesn't involve lifting my tongue off the floor of my mouth at all. The vowel shape is all done at the back, so the frenulum doesn't come into it. (Trying it out for a bit, it turns out that the tip of my tongue stays behind my lower teeth for every vowel I can think of. That seems curious; the linguist in me wonders if this is common or if it's part of my particular accent.)

But limiting the range of motion DOES impact the production of the L, which could be relevant here. I can imagine that someone who speaks in an accent that doesn't use a dark L in these words might have a problem shifting articulation between the vowel and the L smoothly, which might change the shape of the vowel in the process.

(To define "dark L": There's a curious consonant made with the tip of the tongue down and the back of the tongue almost as far back in the throat as it can go. It's sometimes described as "make an L the same way you make a W." Polish has an L that's so dark that in modern use it's indistinguishable from an actual W, but in English use the dark L is still recognizable as an L, in the accents that use it. Imagine the stereotypical New Jersey "I'm walkin' here!" The L in "walking" is a dark L. By contrast, the L made with the tip of the tongue against the roof of the mouth is called "light L".)
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 01:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
I'm just going off of what he said.

I was just contributing to the "mispronouncing words is annoying" line of conversation not trying to get into some big debate about linguistics.

He doesn't have a distinct accent and pronounces pretty much every word normally so far as I know, excepting the ones I've mentioned.
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 02:02 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
Default   #2325  
Heh, sorry, I'm just something of a linguistics geek. I wasn't meaning to debate anything, just musing over variations in how people talk. As I said, the people around here say those words like that normally, so it piqued my "well that's interesting" sense.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 02:10 AM Reply With Quote  
Truthwatcher
Haha, it's all good. I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to....a lot of stuff actually. Linguistics included.

And I'm just really tired and cranky tonight...
XP
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 02:14 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #2327  
Did I miss the linguistics talk?
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-09-2019, 03:59 AM Reply With Quote  
A*DIC*TED
Well right now things are ok but earlier just stressful x( Mainly thanks to my cat

ty bluebird for the art! :D
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 04:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Icy Footed
Default   #2329  
*chants*
Fi-nals week! >:D Fi-nals week! Fi-nals week!

^^^Click to go to my pond hangout^^^ ^^^ Click to go to my frickin' art shop ^^^

Old Posted 12-09-2019, 12:31 PM Reply With Quote  
More More More Magic
Quote:
Originally Posted by daikokunyo View Post
i can't ever wear pants on my period. skirts are so much more convenient for that time. but only flared ones. dresses are even better, because the only band of a garment to push into my cramping abdomen is the band of my underwear rather than the band of a skirt also.
I get too paranoid about the smell
•♪♫♥Mon♦Bon•♫♥

I make art and stuff

Old Posted 12-09-2019, 10:04 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Default   #2331  
Quote:
Originally Posted by littl3chocobo View Post
so i found something out when i was having internal abdominal tearing; maternity jeans fit AND are not too tight when sitting

of course you have to wear a top that covers the band but it's a thought if you are having tenderness and pain but have a use for pants
Oof! I hope you're recovering well. :(

Also, I am loving your ramune bottle. :P
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 11:48 PM Reply With Quote  
Double Rainbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBon View Post
I get too paranoid about the smell

I hear you.
That's why I always wear a menstrual cup when I go out in public, I don't smell when I have my cup in...

At home, I use cloth pads.
But I always kinda smell, if I'm being honest.
"My car it is my life... and like my life it carries me around."

--- My Bubba and Mi
Picture drawn by ~isa~
Old Posted 12-09-2019, 11:49 PM Reply With Quote  
isn't that funny
Default   #2333  
it's cold and REFRESHING, wouldn't you say?
Old Posted 12-10-2019, 12:00 AM Reply With Quote  
Peace <3
Hello lovelies <3
Old Posted 12-10-2019, 01:11 AM Reply With Quote  
Wanderer
Default   #2335  
gods could i possibly do a tris jojo cosplay

hrmmmm
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 12-10-2019, 02:15 AM Reply With Quote  
기다려
@chocobo what is the bottle item called uwu

@Espy do it do it

Buying Runes.
PM if you're selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohopekaliga View Post
Don't be alarmed, we just have a minor case of face hugging adorable monsters. I'm sure it'll blow over eventually.

Old Posted 12-10-2019, 10:37 AM Reply With Quote