Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In

Psych
Default New 3DS: Plates or XL?   #1  
So I'm curious... who has what system? Do you like the bigger size of the XL or do you like the interchangeable plates of the smaller system?

I use to own the Fire Emblem N3DSXL, but my sister's Persona 3DS stopped working properly out of nowhere so I gave her mine as a wedding gift. Then I got the Galaxy N3DSXL but decided I wanted to try the smaller one with plates, so... I traded that one to my other little sister for her Animal crossing small 3DS (although one of the buttons worked intermittently..)

By chance, I happened to snag one of the Black Friday deals and got the $99 N3DS with interchangeable plates and I LOVE it. I've even gone as far as making my own plates.. there are a few on amazon I want too, and I can tell it's slowly becoming an addiction. So much to the point where I had my local GS locate a Pokémon 20th anniversary edition of the smaller 3DS to ship to their store to get.

Also! Add me if you'd like to your friend code list! I could always use more friends. Just let me know if you've added me so I can add you back!

Friend Code: 3798-0937-2694
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 09:55 AM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
I've got an old 3DS with zelda patterning on it, and it serves me fine. It plays Pokemon Sun, so I'm good, heh.

But. If I were going to get a new 3DS, I'd probably get one of the plate ones, because that's kind of cool.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 11:56 AM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #3  
The Zelda ones have always been awesome.
I have an XL link between worlds one I'm supposed to be sending to a friend but I keep forgetting...

I love having the ability to buy 3rd party plates and making my own designs.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:13 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Mine's the first Zelda one, it's a black 3DS lite, with gold symbols on it. Quite classy, I think. :D
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:23 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Default   #5  
I've seen those! They're snazzy.
My first 3DS was the teal blue one. I kind of miss it.. traded it in towards my Persona 3DSXL.. and then went from there..

But it was my baby..
Part of me wants another..

I have an addiction..
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It's a hard call for me. I've got both -- my own 3DS is a New 3DS XL, and my wife's is the New 3DS and she's currently got a set of Kirby plates on it imported from Japan. The smaller model has a sharper screen and fits in pockets more easily, but the larger model fits my hands better and has more touchscreen space for games where precision is important.
Games by Coda (updated 10/1/2023 - New game: Adrift)
Art by Coda (updated 8/25/2022 - beatBitten and All-Nighter Simulator)

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #7  
lol. My 3DS is my first 3DS, although I did have 2 DSes. (I had a DS Fat and a DS Lite.)

I used to play stuff on my 3DS much more frequently, but I barely touch it now.

...Well. That's not true. Now that I have Sun, I play it some every day. But prior to that, it had no charge for a long time.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:41 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
I enjoyed the larger 3DS when I had one. Had always said I wouldnt go back. But those plates have been calling me for so long now.. it was hard to ignore the call. Plus being able to snag one on BF was awesome and I was super glad to get one. Went with the black color. I want the splatoon plates and the Pikachu ones.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:42 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #9  
If anything needs Splatoon plates, it'd be the Splat U. :P

Wait, that's not what it's called.

WiiU. There we go. The thing that I use solely for playing Splatoon.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:55 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
XD I miss my Wii U.
Had to let it go after getting a stupid ticket.

I'll get one again eventually..
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 12:58 PM Reply With Quote  
Forward Thinker
Default   #11  
Well, there'll be that Nintendo Switch before too terribly long.

With new splatoon on it! I'm sold already.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 01:37 PM Reply With Quote  
Psych
Yas! that is what's keeping me from getting my Wii U back.
Old Posted 12-05-2016, 01:39 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws
Default   #13  

I have one of the old XLs. It was a red special edition and short of the US ever getting a proper dragon Warrior pattern on the cover I'm probably gonna ride this system out till it has to be replaced. The better question when that happens (if all goes well and it lasts another year plus as my kids sometimes abuse it) do I get another DS just the new style or try the Switch that seems to have the hints of getting pretty much all the new DS games.

Old Posted 12-20-2016, 11:52 AM Reply With Quote  
Developer
The Switch is a completely different beast. You should think of it as the successor to the Wii U instead of the successor to the 3DS because there's no evidence to suggest that the 3DS is going away any time soon. (The Switch is clearly NOT targeted for "all of your kids can have one.")

You'll probably want to get ONE of the New 3DS models, because it's got more powerful hardware and games are coming out that the old 3DS models CAN'T play. If you get the smaller one, you can import plates from Japan, so there's plenty of Dragon Quest stuff you can get.

Mega Man: The Light of Will (Mega Man / Green Lantern crossover: In the lead-up to the events of Mega Man 2, Dr. Wily has discovered emotional light technology. How will his creations change how humankind thinks about artificial intelligence? Sadly abandoned. Sufficient Velocity x-post)
Old Posted 12-20-2016, 12:49 PM Reply With Quote  
Thorns and Claws
Default   #15  

I just hope it goes over better than the Wii U .. I love the games and stuff the company makes but I admit I skipped over the Wii U. Not enough support for the console at all to warrant me spending that much.

I'm getting older with not so hot eye sight. ;P I better stick to the larger screens hehe. I wish they would release some of that stuff for the larger one though. I know Dragon Quest isn't as popular in the states but still >-<;

Old Posted 12-20-2016, 04:28 PM Reply With Quote  
Developer
It definitely will get better games than the Wii U. The launch title lineup is looking better, and the list of partner companies is very promising, especially compared to the list of companies that up-front or early-on said they WOULDN'T produce for the Wii U. And getting rid of the secondary display frees up a lot of GPU power so developers won't have to worry about performance as much; players might have loved the GamePad but developers hated having to deal with it.

Old Posted 12-20-2016, 04:53 PM Reply With Quote