Home Forums Shops Trade Avatar Inbox Games Donate

Not Logged In
Closed Thread

We're all mad here.
Default Cats in the Curiosity Shop   #1  
Closed for a restart. The new OOC thread is in the relevant forum[/I].

Cats in the Curiosity Shop

The doorknob was dusty. That was the first sign that no one had been for some time. Inside the store the odds and ends stacked on shelves had all stopped tinkering and ticking with the stopped clocks over the glass case that displayed the jewelry. The smell of the old man that everyone called “eccentric” took it's leave and left dust behind, laid in blankets over the glass counter tops until it stopped at the edge of a spread fan pattern, where a cat's long bushy tail swept back and forth like a metronome.

The busy tail swept back and forth. The cat itself was covered in nearly as much dust at the rest of the shop, the exception being its large, blue-grey eyes that watched out the windows for signs of people coming towards the door.

The big cat blinked, then stood and stretched, her mottled white underside brushing the glass counter. She turned and faced the insides of the store, moving her eyes around before sitting again, facing away from the window.

“He's not coming back,” she announced, as small tinks and clicks began to sound among the clutter and dust. “It's time to go.”

From within the dusty clutter of the curiosity shop, the other cats began to emerge...

OOC and Sign-Up Thread

~.~.~

The Shop Cats

Mirri
Quiet Man Cometh
Breed: Norwegian Forest Cat, mature adult female with litters.
Colour: Tortoise shell with white underside. Blue-grey eyes.
Features: Tiny beads over the tufts on the tips of her ears.
Quirks: prefers a tea bag in her milk if she can find one.
Attitude: mature and endlessly patient. Having raised multiple litters to adulthood, she tends to act somewhat matriarchal when in groups with other cats.

Ref.

Ciaran an Sionnach (keer-an)
Espy

Breed: Abyssinian/male, young adult.
Colour: Coat color is reddish-brown, eyes are gold.
Features: Has a hole and gold earring in one ear (there's some background story to this), and a thin leather collar with a feather. He also has a jagged scar on the right of his throat.
Quirks: Is strangely interested with feathers, as well as other things that drift around. Can be seen uncharacteristically chasing flower petals or downy feathers.
Attitude: Aggressive and sarcastic at times, but also has a softer side. Can seem rough and fights more than his share out in the alleys at night.

Ref:

Sekhmet (Cameo)
Fey

Breed/Gender: Sphynx/female
Colour: 'blue'
Features: Being hairless Sekhmet often can be found sporting old fur pieces 'acquired' from ladies jackets or cuffs. She also has a pince-nez she will wear when reading or doing research.
Quirks: Sekhmet fancies herself a bit of a scholar...unfortunately all she knows she's read from the antique books the humans left lying about.
Attitude: Sekhmet can come across as a bit of a know-it-all. She's very quiet and will spend hours with her books so it's not unusual for her to have issues interacting with the more boisterous in the colony.

Ref:

Quintus
Funkduder

Breed: Russian Blue, Male
Colour: Grey fur; Blue Eyes
Features: Fake Bronze Left Mechanical Eye and Ear (think steampunk)
Quirks: Stares at Shiny Things.
Attitude: Quick to judge; does not take kindly to blind side tackles; very fickle
Sample:

Rin
Demonskid

Breed: Japanese Bobtail, kitten.
Sex: Female
Colour: White, Brown, Black
Features:, a small pink nose and bright blue eyes
Quirks: She'd rather play then do anything else, unless its eating or sleeping.
Attitude: Happy Go Lucky and Fun

Ref.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 11-09-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Posted 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM  
We're all mad here.
Cats cont.

Vicious
Vicious_Whisper

Breed: Scottish Fold
Colour: Basic medium grey with medium pink stripes.
Features: Spiked black leather dog collar. Has a small purple bone chew toy that smells like catnip.
Quirks: Was raised by dogs and tends to mimic dog behavior. Have you ever seen a cat 'wagging' it's tail? She has an unusual love for dogs as her adopted mother was a small Terrier / Shizu mutt.
Attitude: Kinda derpy. Has "Silent Bob'cat" moments.

Zmey
Mirror Gardens
(status unknown)
Breed: Female Burmilla
Colour: Pure white, save for her paws and tail tip which are all a subtle grey color, with pale blue eyes.
Features: She wears a pocket watch that hangs on a chain around her neck.
Quirks: Is obsessed with knowing the time, and is quick to defend her only possession (her watch).
Attitude: Curious but cautious. Does not trust others quickly, but she’s not skittish and will give others a chance.

Simone
Wicked
(status unknown)
Breed: Bengal
Colour: silvery grey with black spots and stripes.
Features: hazel eyes, black nose, wears a white gold gold wedding band like a bracelet on her left front "wrist."
Quirks: She swishes her tail around when she's nervous. Her back ripples when she's annoyed. She has a curious habit of looking at her own nose and swishing her whiskers around if she thinks no one is paying attention to her.
Attitude: a little bit snotty and unjustly so since she currently lives in the alley behind the shop.

Cameo Characters

Dhavala
whitexsuicide

Breed/sex: Rag Doll/ Female
Colour: Same as picture
Features: Has a Light blue collar with a small silver bell.
Quirks: Loves string, so yarn is one of her most favorite things to play with. Also window shopping. She just loves to look around some place find all the hidden treasures she finds.
Attitude: She is very nice, and kind, but shy when it comes down to how she feels.
Ref
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 09-17-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old Posted 05-08-2011, 10:46 PM  
We're all mad here.
Default   #3  
Story Notes

- The Curiosity Shop is located in an old, rundown town and sits near the outskirts. (The town is not modern, technology range hovers around standard rural and steam-punkish, more or less.)

- A fire started under unknown cuircumstances has forced the cats to leave their shop and set out on their own.

Absent Kitties

Mouschi
Passion Pit

Breed: Ragamuffin, female
Colour: Calico
Features: Mouschi has very soft fur, as she makes sure to take extra care of it. Her eyes seem larger than normal, but perhaps it is just the way she looks at the world. She has one thin golden bangle around her right forepaw with an inscription she cannot read.
Quirks: Secretly wishes she was a house-cat.
Attitude: She is very quiet, not because she is shy; but because she enjoys silence. Mouschi is very calm and welcoming of others, but because of her quiet nature, she has a hard time getting to know other cats. If another strikes up the conversation first, they may find Mouschi isn't as she first appears.

Reference Image:

Jinx (shop cat)
Poggio

Breed: Ocelot
Colour: Albino
Features: Outside from being an Albino nothing much.
Quirks: They will develop with the story.
Attitude: Brash and curious he is a young kitten.

Refs.

Will be missed.
Last edited by Quiet Man Cometh; 09-12-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Posted 05-08-2011, 11:16 PM  
gnometastic
A delicate sneeze, then another, announced the mottled bit of rabbit fur adjacent to the counter was, in fact, NOT a discarded muff. What little light made it down to that level glinted off the old brass frames of the Pince-Nez as a face peeked out. "Well, yes, I rather imagine he's not. No time like the present, eh Mirri? If I recall Eccentric has left his lunch, once again, upon the table without partaking. If we don't get to it first there might not be much left."

A wrinkled body stretched out from under it's cover and Sekhmet flexed her claws before padding towards the back room the humans called the 'Kitchenette'.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 01:54 AM  
Wanderer
Default   #5  
With a groggy yet annoyed hiss, a lithe fox-colored abyssinian clambered halfway out of his pile of rags, tripped over a ribbon, and executed a neat but unseemly roll onto yet another albeit flatter pile of scrap cloth. The already-pissed Ciaran, not a morning type, scrambled back to his feet and shook the dust off his head. Stretching, he flicked his ears to rid them of some bits of lint, and without warning sprang onto the table to get an early start on the very stale crackers.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 02:06 AM  
We're all mad here.
Mirri padded quietly after the other two cats, making her way into the kitchen still in her grey layer of dust. She sniffed at the abandoned pitcher of cream, now at room temperature and starting to separate. Very carefully she tipped the small pitcher onto the side plate, leaving the pitcher not quite empty, and doing the same with Eccentric's cold tea though the latter action left sloppy rings around the base of the teacup. She ignored the solid portions of the meal in favour of her milk tea.

"I meant," she said in between laps, "that I think he's gone for good this time."

(general note: if there are little quick things you want to add OOC, you can do that here too. Just colour it grey. :))
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 02:44 AM  
Wanderer
Default   #7  
Ciaran, having finished off the rest of the crackers with alarming speed, yawned and stretched again. He didn't care an awful lot about the Furless, but its departure might cause some difficulties...

His thoughts wandered to the ocelot kit who had yet to wake up.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 02:55 AM  
Bald and loving it!
The small kitten wrestled with the fabric that surrounded him in his basket. He was having a wonderful dream. His ears twitched at the sound of other paws softly walking on the wooden floor. Jinx quickly opened his eyes wanting to know what all the fuss was about. He exuberantly bounded after the rest of the felines into an area of the shop he didn’t really care for, just in time to hear the last of Mirri’s statement. He purred mournfully then spoke making his presence known to the group. “But who will feed us.” That being said he slowly made his way near Mirri and her saucer staring at her with large begging eyes before pawing at the rim of the plate.
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM  
gnometastic
Default   #9  
Making a silent leap up to the table Sekhmet watched as the other two picked out the choice bits they prefered. The sounds of the kit making his way from his bed reached her large ears as she pondered Mirri's statement. "A good question kit," Sekhmet examined the left overs on the plate and carefully rolled off the stale bits of bread to get to the ham he'd piled so nicely on the food. She still couldn't fathom why the one who ran the shop would eat something so bizarre as the red-soggy thing that sat beside the food.

"I'm not much one for 'hunting' but if I recall correctly, there's a food place not far down the block. We can probably obtain food from there." Pawing at her face she knocked her glasses off so they wouldn't get in the way of eating and set to daintily tearing into the meat.
I've gone to look for myself, if I should return before I get back keep me here.

beautiful art by littl3chocobo
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM  
Wanderer
((Completely OOC here, but my posts might start to sound slightly like something from the Warriors cats series. I'll try to not make it too obvious XD))
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 02:49 PM  
Wanderer
Default   #11  
About to move on to the small loaf of bread near the edge of the table, Ciaran noticed the kit. Dragging the whole loaf down near the saucer, he tore it open and looked at Jinx briefly before padding back into the main room. This particular morning, he wasn't in the best of moods, and he knew better than to hang around others when he was this annoyed. Maybe he could search around the rooms for more food.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 07:05 PM  
We're all mad here.
No problem Espy. I haven't read the series though I've heard of it. We can just assume it's in his character. I won't be fussy about it.

Mirri glanced over at the kitten and continued lapping at her meal. Stretching forward on paw she tipped over the remains of the tea-less cream onto the now mostly empty meal plate, it pooling by the rim on the uneven table.

Glancing over at Ciaran as he leaves with his loaf of bred, Mirri asks her other question casually, "do you think we should stay?"
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM  
Wanderer
Default   #13  
Ciaran blinked. Suddenly remembering something, he dragged what was left of the bread towards the kit and pushed it towards him. His exasperated expression clearly voiced, "Eat."

"If he's not coming back...there isn't any point in staying. But where would we go? We...at least, the kit, can't stay in the alleys. There are too many other strays there. I suppose I could do some scouting to see if there's decent shelter outside this shop."
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM  
Bald and loving it!
He narrowed his eyes at the bread. Jinx did not like being told what to do but his stomach argued with him loudly. “I can!” He protested rather proudly at Ciaran. He bit off a chunk of the bread that had been given to him. Instead of eating the bread Jinx started to look around the room. He wondered if there was a water source in the room, like the room he had secretly dubbed hell. The Eccentric had nearly drowned him in that room and his mouth tasted like chemicals for a week.
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM  
Wanderer
Default   #15  
((....Washing machine by accident? XD))

Ciaran glared. "Really now." Turning to Mirri, he mused, "We should get everyone's approval first...and maybe Quintus could help later," he added, glancing at the Blue's general direction.
STONEWALL WAS A RIOT

Old Posted 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM  
Bald and loving it!
(( More like Bathroom xD I always washed my cats in the tub. I'm not sure what soap taste like except chemicals. ))
Old Posted 05-10-2011, 10:23 PM  
Closed Thread